Speaking of corporal punishment.. The long story.

Wilbur

Oh? Are we doing “long school stories” for @Further?

First day of Eighth grade Spanish. I came in late and the class was just a zoo. Kids out of their seats, stuff being thrown - straight outta Cheech & Chong. I look around and go “Where the fuck”s the teacher?”  “Right here....” Now I’m not exactly statuesque, but even I had to look down. “Oh.....ooops....”

The new Spanish teacher was about four foot nothing and young. Everyone assumed she was a new student. When she walked up to the front of the room, you could have heard a pin drop.

It never got better. My second year of Spanish was just one long chalk/eraser fight. I was constantly getting busted because I’m right-handed and sat on the left side of the room. In order for me to throw anything across the room, I had to turn to my right because of the arm-thingie on the desk. As soon as chalk or eraser hit, she’d turn around...and I was still returning to position. My left handed buddies and right handed buddies on the other side of the room had no such limitations.

Needless to say, I went from an 85 average in first year Spanish to a 50-something - as did 90% of the class. It was her first year teaching....and her last.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I don't know that any lessons were learned that day.  OTHER THAN "DON'T SCREW WITH LARRY WALKER!

:)  True story by the way. 

It ain't the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of the fight in the dog.

1 minute ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Oh? Are we doing “long school stories” for @Further?

First day of Eighth grade Spanish. I came in late and the class was just a zoo. Kids out of their seats, stuff being thrown - straight outta Cheech & Chong. I look around and go “Where the fuck”s the teacher?”  “Right here....” Now I’m not exactly statuesque, but even I had to look down. “Oh.....ooops....”

The new Spanish teacher was about four foot nothing and young. Everyone assumed she was a new student. When she walked up to the front of the room, you could have heard a pin drop.

It never got better. My second year of Spanish was just one long chalk/eraser fight. I was constantly getting busted because I’m right-handed and sat on the left side of the room. In order for me to throw anything across the room, I had to turn to my right because of the arm-thingie on the desk. As soon as chalk or eraser hit, she’d turn around...and I was still returning to position. My left handed buddies and right handed buddies on the other side of the room had no such limitations.

Needless to say, I went from an 85 average in first year Spanish to a 50-something - as did 90% of the class. It was her first year teaching....and her last.

I had Senora Maria Teresa Sepulveda de Cline de Monterrey as my 3rd year Spanish teacher in high school.  She liked me, which was a good thing, as I had Spanish right after lunch.  

Our high school had open campus for lunch.  We knew of a pizza place that did not card you for beer.  We could go order one pizza and about 4 pitchers of beer for lunch.  

I was sometimes a bit tipsy and / or drowsy in Spanish, but I passed.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, jsharr said:

was sometimes a bit tipsy and / or drowsy in Spanish, but I passed.

Heh. Senior year English class. There was a bomb scare so we had to evacuate. My buddy and I decided that the most appropriate thing to do during a bomb scare was to get bombed. We jumped in his car, raced over to the store, bought a six pack and slammed three each, as fast as we could, then raced back to school.

I sat there, in the back of the room and every time the teacher walked my way while she was talking,  I held my breath. She seemed to spend an inordinate a amount of time standing by my desk. 

I think she knew. Bitch.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Heh. Senior year English class. There was a bomb scare so we had to evacuate. My buddy and I decided that the most appropriate thing to do during a bomb scare was to get bombed. We jumped in his car, raced over to the store, bought a six pack and slammed three each, as fast as we could, then raced back to school.

I sat there, in the back of the room and every time the teacher walked my way while she was talking,  I held my breath. She seemed to spend an inordinate a amount of time standing by my desk. 

I think she knew. Bitch.

My junior year, the QB on the football team snuck a joint onto the team bus and sparked up on the ride home from the stadium.  Coach Kimbrough smelled it and stopped the bus.  Bobby ran to the back of the bus, opened the back door and ran off.  

He was off the team after that.

HS stories....

In PA there was a mandatory drivers ed class for all juniors.  My HS booked a classroom for this one hour class that had 65 boys in it - I think there was a girls phys ed class that offset this.  Anyway they scheduled only boys - 65 of us in a classroom built for 40 max.  They packed it with desks and you literally had to climb over desks to finds a place to sit.  It was a madhouse. The instructor was a goofball, Mr. Russel (nickname, Jug).  I had him for homeroom a couple years before.  First day he handed out textbooks and droned on about something.  He never took attendance.  

The following week, Larry, a good friend of mine, and I were talking about how he never took attendance and could never miss a couple kids.  We went to the library instead.  The following we we decided.... what he heck...... we skipped again.  Jug never missed us.  We decided we were not going back.....

At the end of the first 6 week grading period we both received Bs on our report cards. Sometime in mid year we heard that they had one of those gory movies scheduled so we showed up to watch the movie.  We went back on the last day of class to hand our textbooks back in.  We showed up for class 3 times over a 9 month period of time and got straight Bs.

Jug never paddled me but I pretty sure I probably gave him reason to when he was my homeroom teacher.

7 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

It's a well written story, Wilbur, but I don't like it. I need you to find out what happened to Miss Carfray.   :(

I want to know what became of Larry.  Sounds like a guy that went to military school, became a bully, built up an empire, got a spray tan and some bad hair.....

• Whatever 1

59 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

it sounds as though she got what she deserved.

52 minutes ago, zjsharr said:

I want to know what became of Larry.  Sounds like a guy that went to military school, became a bully, built up an empire, got a spray tan and some bad hair.....

I disagree. Larry was a young punk. Someone threw that darn spitball and altered the course of her life forever. I'm not even going to entertain it might have been our Wilbur, completely impossible.  

Yes she had it inside her, we all do. 1 spitball here, 1 bad decision there, and we end up at Willowbrook whilst a pig flies a plane.  

No spitball, she makes it through the day and Wilbur's story is all about his crush on Miss Carfray.  Instead, Larry, or someone must be held accountable for this.  

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, zjsharr said:

I had Senora Maria Teresa Sepulveda de Cline de Monterrey as my 3rd year Spanish teacher in high school.  She liked me, which was a good thing, as I had Spanish right after lunch.  

Our high school had open campus for lunch.  We knew of a pizza place that did not card you for beer.  We could go order one pizza and about 4 pitchers of beer for lunch.  

I was sometimes a bit tipsy and / or drowsy in Spanish, but I passed.

heh, heh Spanish after lunch with an open campus. Disaster

I had Spanish every year in HS. After a couple years Mrs Durham. L liked her a lot. Not sure how much Spanish i learned but i got to sit next to some pretty girls. Senior year new taech. We were on quarters. But your 2 quarters were averaged into your semester grade. I did not particularly care for the new teach. But whatever. So 3rd quarter i busted my *ss and got an A. (you see whats coming right) Spring term. Last quarter of HS. Sunny days. Friends with pot. After lunch. I went to about a third of the classes. She even called in my parents to see what was up. They just said it looks like he gamed the system. Got an F. Averaged out to a C. Only F in my HS career

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, zjsharr said:

My junior year, the QB on the football team snuck a joint onto the team bus and sparked up on the ride home from the stadium.  Coach Kimbrough smelled it and stopped the bus.  Bobby ran to the back of the bus, opened the back door and ran off.  

He was off the team after that.

I went to vocational training (carpentry) my Junior and Senior year.

When we got back to school, the guidance counselor and ASSistant principal got on the bus. They let everyone except the back two rows off. Then they started going off on us about smoking on the bus. They couldn’t have been more wrong if they tried. None of the eight of us they kept on, smoked. Then they let the other seven guys go and started in on me about smoking weed on the bus. Again, completely wrong. They kept saying “Well, we’re going to find out who it is...” Through clenched teeth I said “Good! And when you do, I expect an apology!”  Worst part is, the bus driver was right behind them going “....its not him....”. 

I was so angry when I got off the bus, I think I was bleeding from my eyeballs. Word must have gotten around the school that if I found out who ratted me out, I was going to kill them. Apparently whoever the rat(s) were (I think I know) went and set the story straight because the guidance counselor kissed my ass for the rest of the school year.

I egged his house anyway.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I went to vocational training (carpentry) my Junior and Senior year.

When we got back to school, the guidance counselor and ASSistant principal got on the bus. They let everyone except the back two rows off. Then they started going off on us about smoking on the bus. They couldn’t have been more wrong if they tried. None of the eight of us they kept on, smoked. Then they let the other seven guys go and started in on me about smoking weed on the bus. Again, completely wrong. They kept saying “Well, we’re going to find out who it is...” Through clenched teeth I said “Good! And when you do, I expect an apology!”  Worst part is, the bus driver was right behind them going “....its not him....”. 

I was so angry when I got off the bus, I think I was bleeding from my eyeballs. Word must have gotten around the school that if I found out who ratted me out, I was going to kill them. Apparently whoever the rat(s) were (I think I know) went and set the story straight because the guidance counselor kissed my ass for the rest of the school year.

I egged his house anyway.

Let it go, man. It was high school. :lol:

• Heart 1

Teacher might have been physically hit as a child herself. Not that it excuses what she did to the kids.

I save my much longer stories for blog posts. At least you get to see photos there.  Here's my latest released yesterday:

https://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2018/05/02/care-and-creative-expressions-500-years-for-lhotel-dieu/   A place we visited in southern France.

4 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Teacher might have been physically hit as a child herself. Not that it excuses what she did to the kids.

I save my much longer stories for blog posts. At least you get to see photos there.  Here's my latest released yesterday:

https://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2018/05/02/care-and-creative-expressions-500-years-for-lhotel-dieu/   A place we visited in southern France.

I am not a blogger.  My normal style is concise humour and short sentences.  I swear people here, myself included, are ADD.  Short is better but every now and then I tell a story.  

If the opening line doesn't capture interest, I don't blame people for skipping it.  Life is too short to read everything. :)  

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I am not a blogger.  My normal style is concise humour and short sentences.  I swear people here, myself included, are ADD.  Short is better but every now and then I tell a story.  

If the opening line doesn't capture interest, I don't blame people for skipping it.  Life is too short to read everything. :)  

I saw a DC 10 the other day. 

Couch 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, donkpow said:

Let it go, man. It was high school. :lol:

I did, when I egged his house. It was cathartic. 

He hasn’t lived there for years now, but I still laugh when I drive by. (His house had a faux 1890’s portico thingie on the front with a cast eagle on the glable end and I laid an egg right on that eagle).

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Sometimes I can tell via reader's comments, if they've bothered to skim the text or look at the photos. I'm quite happy if it's just skimming or popping by just to glance. I'm just one person of many in the world that just likes to share some words and show (hopefully) interesting photos.  

For sure just showing world of cycling, bikes on a blog would narrow my audience. I wouldn't have met other interesting blogger-readers.  

1 minute ago, Scrapr said:

Lol. Yeah there is a bunch of that around. But...he was at the top of the food chain so to speak. I deal with the underworld workers. 

Well, today we had one worker photograph another standing on the rails of a scissor lift and post the pics to Facebook.

Only the photographer is gone, because "we need" the acrobat.

• Haha 1
  • Envious 1

On 5/3/2018 at 8:29 AM, Wilbur said:

I never saw Larry again.  He was sent to a boarding school on Vancouver Island and became a repeat offender as a juvenile.  I heard he later became a contractor and one of the wealthiest in the area.

Carfray never came back to class.  My father had heard she was taken to a mental hospital and nobody knows what became of her afterwards.  Nobody ever admitted to shooting the spitball but it wasn't me or Larry.

Wow, Wilbur, great story - thanks for sharing!

I never had a teacher of mine disappear, but when I became a teacher our faculty included a German teacher who was an American but with a German last name and who was a little odd - he used to love marching around his room playing German military music between classes. One day, after maybe 20 years of service, he stopped showing up for work and no one could locate him. He didn't collect his last check or unused sick day money and I don't know if he ever did so or collected his pension.

We also had a juvenile delinquent when I was a student that we expected to end up in prison but he was so good at cheating workers and contractors that a builder of malls made him his right-hand man and he became very wealthy.

• Heart 1

22 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

I disagree. Larry was a young punk. Someone threw that darn spitball and altered the course of her life forever. I'm not even going to entertain it might have been our Wilbur, completely impossible.  

WRONG!  She was delivering a gangland-style beatdown to someone she was entrusted with, and she escalated far beyond what was reasonable.  No one should do that to a child, even if he is a reprobate of some sort.  This horrible child was well within rights to one-up her malicious acts as a means of defense.  Good for him, stick it to the man.

12 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Terrible plane.  You know that though.

Back in the '80s, Wo2 & I flew back/forth to Joburg several times. Almost always on a Pan Am or SAA 747. One trip, we went thru London & were flying out of Gatwick to Dallas on a AA DC-10. It was after one of  "those episodes" & Wo2 asked what king of a plane were we going to Dallas on. I knew, but hemmed.

So, we get on, the overhead bins on the centerline of the cabin were kind of recessed into the ceiling so the cabin really appeared spacious. Wo2 asks, "What kind of plane?". "Dunno"

We sit down & she reaches for the E-card. Uh Oh. Looks at it gives me the side-eye and sez, "Oh well, here goes nuthin.'"

• Heart 1

There were rumors about one of my grade school teachers. The rumors were about punishment that was both shaming and physical. Something like, put your nose in the circle on the chalkboard and keep it there until told otherwise. Another was to hold a book in each hand with outstretched arms. Stuff like that. I never saw it happen, just rumors.