What is the big deal about IKEA?

Road Runner

A new IKEA store just opened here today in Norfolk.  Huge long lines of people waiting to get in the store.  The local news media has been covering it like it is the second coming.  Actually, if Jesus appeared in Norfolk today, I'm afraid he would get far less attention than the IKEA opening.  :(

I've never been in an IKEA store.  It must be like the best store ever!  :o  

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

A new IKEA store just opened here today in Norfolk.  Huge long lines of people waiting to get in the store.  The local news media has been covering it like it is the second coming.  Actually, if Jesus appeared in Norfolk today, I'm afraid he would get far less attention than the IKEA opening.  :(

It is like Walmart for millenials or 1%rs or something like that.  I do not get it.  

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

It is like Walmart for millenials or 1%rs or something like that.  I do not get it.  

Definitely not for 1%ers.  It is a great store, but far from "exclusive".  Better to buy inexpensive furniture or household items there than at a Walmart.  And they have swedish meatballs too.

• Heart 1

Ikea is both great and horrible at the same time.  Lower priced good quality products with funny names, good meatballs, excellent people watching, necessary things for the home.  Good stuff.

The horrible side of it is that it is such an ordeal.  Everything is big, big store, big parking lot, destination shopping.  The worst aspect is that you have to literally walk through the whole store, so there really is no "Where are the plates?" questions that you can ask that will get you in and out quickly.  You have to go through the whole thing.  It is annoying that way, and people putter and stop in your way constantly.  Bad carts, too.

You should go.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Sounds like when the IKEA opened on the north side of Indy here.  Was in my old town, drove by several times a day and my wife and I would always say we should go in and see what the big deal is, was open a few years before we moved and never went in.

IKEA (it is an acronym) is the best place on earth.  You can drop bratty kids off for 45 minutes peace, buy a bunch of shit you didn't know you needed and see what it is actually like to be a maze rat.  You can have complete idiots push carts into your ankles and give yourself a hernia lifting HDFB furniture (assembly required) on to a cart that has no wheel brakes and moves in all directions.   

My wife and daughters like it there.  They know the shortcuts through the maze.  I know I can go in the exit door directly to the food market for a cheap hot dog and pick up some Swedish meatballs to cook at home. 

Pure Scandawegian magic. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

And every pice of their awful RTA boxes of furniture will be missing at least 2 very important pieces of hardware.  But don't worry - the 2 (or more) that are missing cannot be purchased from any hardware store known to man.

Most stores have them available if you don't mind driving back, fighting for parking and standing in line at customer service behind some twatwaddle that don't have a Bjorn screwdriver. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Kzoo said:

And every pice of their awful RTA boxes of furniture will be missing at least 2 very important pieces of hardware.  But don't worry - the 2 (or more) that are missing cannot be purchased from any hardware store known to man.

Yea, it's a pain in butt when ie. 2 unique types of screws that come inside that box of furniture...or whatever is missing.  When I bought my lst home, I did buy a whole bookcase set....and dearie put it together.  That was 25 yrs. ago. And I don't think these problems have gone away.  However one gets what they pay for.  Their furniture now appears even cheaper to me.  What is good is some other household goods that's convenient to buy in 1 stop.  I got a nice set of cutlery with a more different design  which we use from IKEA and linen set.  

...there's a big one here, over on the west side of the river.  A lot of people go there to eat, which I don't understand, because I ate there once.  Their mattresses are great, head and shoulders above most of what you can get here at a bed and mattress store.  I have bought one bed, two or three cabinets, and some bookshelves that fit nicely into the space between the kitchen corner window and the cabinets.

If I ever do another kitchen, I might go there for the cabinets.  I won't eat though.

I just remembered, they sold me a paper towel roll holder that goes over the drainboard , next to the sink, attached to the cabinet face that is swell.  It's an excellent design, is easy to change out the paper towel rolls, and looks like it will last forever. And the blue plastic tote bags they sell there (like the yellow ones for in store use) make outstanding marketing bags for the Sunday produce market. I usually fill up two of them every Sunday. They stay rolled up in the back of the car.

I like IKEA! I have helped my kids assemble furniture from there. It’s basically good furniture until you move. They don’t handle transport well once assembled. We bought a cube storage unit and it’s held up well! 

WoW loves their kitchen gadgets. I have a French press that is pretty good. 

I like their lighting options as well. 

35 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

A lot of people go there to eat, which I don't understand, because I ate there once.  Their mattresses are great, head and shoulders above most of what you can get here at a bed and mattress store. 

I've never tasted mattress. How do you season it? What does it taste like? Chicken?

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, groupw said:

I like their lighting options as well. 

Interesting combo Sonos/IKEA lights are coming out.  Probably really neat for a dorm.

ikea-symfonisk-1.jpg

Rather than attempt to deliver a decent audio experience (and likely mess it up), it's collaborated with Sonos on both these WiFi speakers-in-disguise. The two companies say it's about a shared passion. "IKEA is always looking for ideas that improve life at home. By integrating technology with home furnishing products and solutions, we can do that in an even better way," says IKEA's Home Smart boss, Björn Block.

Sonos tells me you'll find that the Lamp will be roughly equivalent to its existing Play One speaker when it comes to audio oomph. And they weren't wrong. In fact, at the launch event, IKEA and Sonos used a network of lamps to provide audio for the entire event. It sounded much better than IKEA's old Bluetooth speakers that... not many people remember.

The smaller bookcase speaker, meanwhile, was less punchy, but it should out-do your current smart-speaker's audio skills unless you have HomePods or Google Home Maxes scattered around your home. You... might?

However, what it lacks in decibels, it makes up in versatility, with the option to mount it as a bookshelf, capable of carrying roughly 3kg. It'll work both in vertical and horizontal placements. And naturally, it could help augment an existing Sonos setup in a cheap, subtle way.

4 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

The one here is aboot 40 miles away - fine with me!  I agree with Duckbag, too )(*&^ big.  I have very bad memories of assembling a dining room table and chairs for my sister, and it was absolutely horribibble - cheap, flimsy, ill-fitting, and flimsy!  Yuk!

horribibble is a great word.  

2 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...things are not fair here, and how big my balls are won't change that. :( 

The thought of my lips touching @Kzoo 's ears fills me with existential dread.

I  never said your lips have to touch his ear!  Your hand, sure, but not his ear still.  You just walk up behind him, caress his arm, or butt, or moob, sniff his hair, groan longingly and then whisper "nominated"