In case you were wondering where the big ships on the Great Lakes Go in the winter

jsharr

5 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

The canals on the seaway are closed for a couple of months, so they cannot traverse between lakes that are connected by them. Some boats still move around on Lake Ontario at least.

Another reason "winter" is just one letter different the "winner"!!!

#WinterIsAWinner

• Heart 1

The other day we were walking Jack at the beach and I noticed dozens of container ships parked about a mile off shore.  (We are about 30 miles south of the Port of Los Angeles.)

I figured there was a back up at the port but apparently they were waiting out a storm in the Pacific where containers were getting blown off ships due to hurricane level winds.  

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

The other day we were walking Jack at the beach and I noticed dozens of container ships parked about a mile off shore.  (We are about 30 miles south of the Port of Los Angeles.)

I figured there was a back up at the port but apparently they were waiting out a storm in the Pacific where containers were getting blown off ships due to hurricane level winds.  

Yep, big wind and waves smashed this guy back in Dec.

The container ship, ONE Apus, arrived at the Port of Kobe, Japan, on Tuesday after an eight-day journey from the middle of the Pacific Ocean

• Heart 1

Just now, Prophet Zacharia said:

There was discussion of hundreds of shipping containers being knocked off a Japanese container ship by a storm near Hawaii back in December. Makes sailing a bit more hazardous.

That is the ship.  Estimated almost 2,000 containers lost.

https://gcaptain.com/estimated-1900-containers-lost-or-damaged-on-one-apus/

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I thought they flew south in the winter.

But then they anchor off-shore due to COVID. Much cheaper (i.e. free) than paying harbor and wharfing fees - but they do have to send a tender out daily for maintenance and security.

Cocoa Beach 1500px-5.JPG

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

does the river ever freeze solid and stop shipping?

I've never seen the St. Clair river in the winter so I don't know if it freezes over.   I've seen the Detroit River though and it does freeze so I'd assume the St. Clair freezes over too.  I don't know if I'd walk on that ice though.

The lakes freeze over before the river and that is what stops the shipping.  They have ice breakers that can keep the shipping lanes open a bit longer.

• 2 weeks later...