Today's progress

Square Wheels

Just now, Square Wheels said:

I'm dying now.  I have had a fever all day, coughing so that it's hard to talk.  Heart still racing, I suspect still dehydrated but I've had a lot to drink.  I will drink even more.

You need to REST.   You can finish the garage cabinets next week.  

• Thank You 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Hugs 1

14 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

It's only 2 or 3 wires.... what could go wrong.  :whistle:

Especially if Speed Demon is there to help after SW says "Here, hold my beer!"

(Actually, the wiring would be the only part I probably would get right.  All that measuring and leveling and carpentry stuff?  It would never look as nice as it does in those pictures.  That's some fine work there!)

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Actually, the wiring would be the only part I probably would get right.  All that measuring and leveling and carpentry stuff?

If the garage is like my garage... the floor slopes to the doors.  (when the snow and ice melt it eventually makes it back outside)

Having a sloping floor, when I was hanging some stuff on the side walls,  I needed to measure from from the ceiling and use my level to be sure.

36 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

t's a bear to install as each piece weighs a ton.

So... if you did this yourself. How did you hold the cabinets in place and mount it into the wall and keep it level all at the same time?   Wall cleats hold them up at the top?  And you mount the cleat first? 

51 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

If the garage is like my garage... the floor slopes to the doors.  (when the snow and ice melt it eventually makes it back outside)

Having a sloping floor, when I was hanging some stuff on the side walls,  I needed to measure from from the ceiling and use my level to be sure.

So... if you did this yourself. How did you hold the cabinets in place and mount it into the wall and keep it level all at the same time?   Wall cleats hold them up at the top?  And you mount the cleat first? 

Yup.  You can see them in this pic on the left.  The tall cabinets are still hard to get on.

• Thank You 1

As for the electrical, happy to hear your opinions.  That outlet breaker is currently off.  I capped it off and ran two wires up to that hole in the middle.  I will put in a switch for the lights and two outlets - so one wire for each.  I tied four wires together in the capped off box and secured them very tightly with red wire nuts.  Everything here is 20 amp and 12/2, so I got some 12/2 to wire those up.

Sound reasonable?

We do have an electrician coming on Saturday to put in two more outlets on either side of the cabinet and put them on their own breaker, that way there will be plenty of power in the garage.

• Awesome 3

34 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I tied four wires together

I would suggest that you do not tie the wires all together under a single wire nut (as I understood the above).  I would suggest a separate wire nut each for the white, black, and red wire, assuming that's what you have in the box.  The green or bare ground doesn't need a wire nut or tape.  Even if the breaker is off, it's better not to tempt Murphy by wire nutting all the ground and/or the white to a black and/or a red.

• Heart 1

39 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I would suggest that you do not tie the wires all together under a single wire nut (as I understood the above).  I would suggest a separate wire nut each for the white, black, and red wire, assuming that's what you have in the box.  The green or bare ground doesn't need a wire nut or tape.  Even if the breaker is off, it's better not to tempt Murphy by wire nutting all the ground and/or the white to a black and/or a red.

I assume you're pulling my leg.

I tied all 4 black wire with a single red wire nut, then using a separate wire nut all four white,  then continuing that theme I did the ground,  no red wire.

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

I assume you're pulling my leg.

I tied all 4 black wire with a single red wire nut, then using a separate wire nut all four white,  then continuing that theme I did the ground,  no red wire.

No, I wasn't, but I'd misunderstood what you wrote. :facepalm: They way you've described it above I better understand, and it sounds to me like you've got it right.  :nodhead:

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

Wait a minute. I didn't see a laser level on this job. You'll have to go back and do it again. It's the only way, really.

Yeah, I was going to go that way, but then thought better of it.  They are level, maybe not laser level level, but level none the less.  I figure if they are off even a 1/4 inch over the 20+ feet they take up, so be it.

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

@Square Wheels  I hope you took the day off and are resting.   No work that pays you either.   Take a few days off...   

I keep telling myself, just go out there and hang the small one, maybe put the counters on, but I've resisted.

I got 10 sick days per year when I worked.   I seldom took any sick days.  You can use a few that I never used. 

At my prior place it was silly how much time I got off.  I think it was 6.4 or so hours a week.  Here is a lot different.  Waaaaaay less.  Plus I'm new so I've barely accrued anything.  If I feel like crap for the week, part of it will be unpaid.

Feeling better?? 

Nope, actually worse.  Just got up from my second nap.

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 2

2 minutes ago, BR46 said:

Are you planning on a epoxy coat the floor?

Probably not.  We had an odd situation at our last house.  When we moved into the prior house, the garage floor was crumbling.  After 10 or so years there, we had the money to replace it.  The guy doing the concrete work left shortly after it was poured for a family emergency.  He assured me he'd be back before it needed to be troweled.  He wasn't, the floor was a mess.  He decided he'd try to put an epoxy coat on it to smooth it out, that came out even worse and started to peel.  The company he worked for fired him (I felt bad) and ripped it out and replaced it.  Oddly that floor started to fail as it got easily dusty and wore under the cars.

All I wanted was a nice smooth floor that I could sweep.  This floor is super smooth.  I'm afraid of having anything done to it.

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

I thought about that, but I'm not sure what I would get from it?  For the foreseeable future, my road will be covered in mud, which constantly makes its way into my garage.  I like the simplicity of just sweeping it.

I think quality garage rated tile would clean up about the same as bare concrete. Nothing wrong with nice concrete, but the tile would look cool and might be a little easier on your feet 

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, Further said:

I think quality garage rated tile would clean up about the same as bare concrete. Nothing wrong with nice concrete, but the tile would look cool and might be a little easier on your feet 

It would likely cost 5 - 10 grand too.  I'm rarely in the garage.  It would like nice though.

• Heart 1

We had bare concrete with a clear epoxyish coat at the service station I moonlighted at in VA Beach.  Before closing time at night I would wet the floor with a hose and then sprinkle on some powdered Tide detergent and broom it around with a shop broom before washing it out the garage door with the hose.

Probably not legal today.

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

We had bare concrete with a clear epoxyish coat at the service station I moonlighted at in VA Beach.  Before closing time at night I would wet the floor with a hose and then sprinkle on some powdered Tide detergent and broom it around with a shop broom before washing it out the garage door with the hose.

I used to do the same thing with a TSP product.

54 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Probably not.  We had an odd situation at our last house.  When we moved into the prior house, the garage floor was crumbling.  After 10 or so years there, we had the money to replace it.  The guy doing the concrete work left shortly after it was poured for a family emergency.  He assured me he'd be back before it needed to be troweled.  He wasn't, the floor was a mess.  He decided he'd try to put an epoxy coat on it to smooth it out, that came out even worse and started to peel.  The company he worked for fired him (I felt bad) and ripped it out and replaced it.  Oddly that floor started to fail as it got easily dusty and wore under the cars.

All I wanted was a nice smooth floor that I could sweep.  This floor is super smooth.  I'm afraid of having anything done to it.

I epoxy coated my garage floor 20+ years ago and it's been holding up good and I'm working in the garage almost everyday. It makes cleanups easy. 

SDC10819.thumb.JPG.e2f7cc77649115e7d4005aa6d6e8d03a.JPG

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

He decided he'd try to put an epoxy coat on it to smooth it out, that came out even worse and started to peel

The concrete needs to be cleaned with Muriatic acid before applying the epoxy. 

• Heart 3

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Been there done that in the 60s.

On 1/15/2023 at 7:24 PM, Square Wheels said:

As for the electrical, happy to hear your opinions.  That outlet breaker is currently off.  I capped it off and ran two wires up to that hole in the middle.  I will put in a switch for the lights and two outlets - so one wire for each.  I tied four wires together in the capped off box and secured them very tightly with red wire nuts.  Everything here is 20 amp and 12/2, so I got some 12/2 to wire those up.

Sound reasonable?

We do have an electrician coming on Saturday to put in two more outlets on either side of the cabinet and put them on their own breaker, that way there will be plenty of power in the garage.

Did you remember to say “that will never come loose” after you tightened up the wire nuts?

10 hours ago, Road Runner said:

You’re doing it wrong

They were supposed to unpack all the cabinets, but the drivers said they didn't do that, I got the delivery fee refunded.

The first one I tried to move was on a pallet, and that was on a pallet.  I thought I could simply walk the cabinet (500+ pounds) off the pallet.  It started tipping toward my car and I just assumed it was going back in the shop and our insurance company would drop us after that.  I narrowly avoided that mess.