Do you listen to / watch the news?

Square Wheels

I turn on the local news in the morning just to have something on while getting ready for work. Otherwise I listen to radio news. The local news (by me anyway) is a re-run everyday. Learn how many people got shot in Detroit last night (and it is nightly), government problems again Detroit and now Flint. Body found in burnt down home...it goes on and on. And this morning's news was spent telling people how to drive in snow.

• Heart 1

We are bombarded by news and information..It is okay to back off..healthy even.  We don't have much in the way of commercials on our public radio...except now during give us money time   pledge week... But when I can't take the news ...especially the politics ..I actually don't mind the news but the political crap drives me nuts....I switch to the Current 89.3 (also MN public radio) or the classical music station (also MN public radio)...no commercials...and it is a nice break.   I actually wake up to the Current.

• 2 years later...

Bumped thread, but I didn't watch much news then and that hasn't changed.  I tune into local news each AM to get the big headlines and the weather, and then turn it off because it's all too negative and depressing.  When I get to work, I'll check the news online.

Instead of the electronics and computer degrees I ended up with for money I would rather have had a degree in history and sociology.  I actually enjoy attempting to understand how different sides of an issue come to their positions and how those positions have put us where we are today.

On 2/25/2016 at 7:49 AM, goldendesign said:

Much like bikeman I listen as background in the mornings. Unlike him I don't have too many shootings but plenty of adventures of FloridaMan to make things interesting. 

FloridaMan not the hero we wanted buy the hero we deserve.

DFe545P.png

LOL. There was a cartoonist in Portland that was locally popular. He died in 2010.. He was a double amputee. His cartoons were about physical disabilities.

One of his books was He won't get far on foot

Movie out soon

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

They disguise it as "underwriting ". 

Wink wink. Nod nod. I got it.  So the couple minutes at the top of the hour was too much?  Versus the 25 minutes per hour of a different type of show? During pledge drives, they may even bump it up to five minutes or more per hour!

Tom

Most mornings I watch 40 minutes of Morning Joe on the treadmill. It's my commute to nowhere. I have  a 12 ounce mug of tea, the treadmill has a cupholder. One of the pills I make it is a protein pill. I am quite pleased with it. This is before breakfast.

I record Chis and Rachel and that guy that comes on after Rachel. I almost never watch him, but I try to watch part of Rachel or Chris. Rachel does a nice job taking the time to walk you through complicated situations.

I get most of my actual news from NYT, the Guardian and Asia Times. I plan on killing NYT for WAPO. The NYT is in one of their slumps, and WAPO has been kicking serious butt. TV sucks for news.

I always have a something serious on the bedside table. I don't usually read a lot of it. I skim through, looking for any actual thinking that I haven't seen ten times before. The new Niall Ferguson builds on an idea that's been floating around, modelling the way power works. There's a lot of history in it, doubt I will read those bits. They aren't bad or anything, I just want the meat, without the Ching Dynasty. There are guys where I'll hang on every word, but not many.

I'm reading the science fiction series The Expanse for the third time. It's funny how different you react to events each time you read something. The first time, the sex was great. The second time it was stimulating, the third time is a little awkward to read. Go figure.

One of the things I absolutely love about the Expanse is that it focuses a lot on power structures, and how they interact. My favorite is Chrisjen Avasarala, an elderly diminutive woman of Indian descent that swears like a sailor and intimidates generals and presidents. And basically runs Earth from a back office. Unlike most people in power, she just wants to keep things running, so everyone trusts her.  She drinks real Oolong tea, she doesn't actually like it. It's strong and smoky, brewed the traditional way I don't like it at all. But her husband likes it, so it's nearly the only thing she drinks. She's a study in contrasts.

Another thing I like about it is that no one comes close to understanding what's going on. They get part of it, and just try to keep hanging on as they bounce from crisis to crisis. You know the old saying about turning the amp to 11? The Expanse turns it to 11, then 12, then 13. And then things get totally nuts. And while that sounds over the top  crazy, the author makes it work. Within the context of that plot, it really, really works.