Let’s talk napping

Airehead

5 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I don’t do it well. What am I missing?  If I do fall asleep, I fall really asleep and would sleep for hours or be woken up in a fog. I want to take a nap on the porch. I am envious of you who can. 

It helps to have obstructive sleep apnea. I wake up from naps quite easily. :D

• Haha 2

Set your alarm for 20 minutes...so you don't  over nap ? I try to nap before 4pm so it doesn't mess with my sleep. Try some relaxing deep breaths...and chill..If you are tired enough a nap will happen..but if nothing else you just rest.. We had mats or rugs and had rest time in kindergarten..sometimes we fell asleep sometimes we just rested. Give it a shot.

• Heart 1

@Rattlecan knows this one. When I was working 2 jobs the night job was driving to the Coast and swapping trailers. By then I was 14 or 15 hours into  my workday. So at the top of the grade was a place to pull  off. I would heat up the tractor then pullover and lay my head on the steering wheel. By the time the tractor got coolit would wake me up and I was GTG

perhaps you could find a night job to try this out?

• Heart 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

@Rattlecan knows this one. When I was working 2 jobs the night job was driving to the Coast and swapping trailers. By then I was 14 or 15 hours into  my workday. So at the top of the grade was a place to pull  off. I would heat up the tractor then pullover and lay my head on the steering wheel. By the time the tractor got coolit would wake me up and I was GTG

I did that a few times when commuting between Pittsburgh and Charlotte....

37 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Or the right quantity of a diuretic beverage before putting your head down would ensure you didn't over sleep.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Airehead said:

I don’t do it well. What am I missing?  If I do fall asleep, I fall really asleep and would sleep for hours or be woken up in a fog. I want to take a nap on the porch. I am envious of you who can. 

We are the same. Once up I am up. There was only on time I fell asleep on an airplane and it was a transcontinental flight. It was wonderful, I fell asleep, woke up, and I was at my destination. But I probably can count on one hand how many times during the day I have fallen asleep in the day the last decade.

• Awesome 1

Just now, team scooter said:

I wish I had a screen porch, I'd sleep out there on cool nights and keep my neighbors up with my snoring. One perk I received as I got older was finally being able to nap sitting up. The other perk was buying a reclining couch to do it with. :loveshower: 

I have not yet tried napping in the recline position.

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, petitepedal said:

Set your alarm for 20 minutes...so you don't  over nap ? I try to nap before 4pm so it doesn't mess with my sleep. Try some relaxing deep breaths...and chill..If you are tired enough a nap will happen..but if nothing else you just rest.. We had mats or rugs and had rest time in kindergarten..sometimes we fell asleep sometimes we just rested. Give it a shot.

A few years ago, I did see a sleep doctor because I had sleep issues/broken after my concussion recovery..and this is one of the symptoms.

It's 20 min. or half an hr. for a nap. No longer. And between 1-3 pm or something like that.

I only seem to nap that time if I'm on a train, bus for over an hr.  I don't make myself nap if I had a lousy night of sleep before.  I just live with it. I don't want to mess up my sleep all over again.

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Later in life as age creeps up on you there will be several opportunities to have to sleep in the recliner.  This will include recovery from procedures, bad backs, insomnia etc

Or, just running out of energy to get out of the chair and trundle off to bed.

I always set an alarm when I nap for fear that I'd just sleep for hours.  I'm usually sleep deprived during the week and trying to catch up on the weekend, so a nap is a total luxury. 

• Heart 2