Job Opening at my company

BuffJim

2 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Good luck.

It sounded like there was some turmoil involving your current reporting structure.

Yes.. My last two bosses quit last month. This job appears to be created for me to replace the boss I had when I was with the corporate job. Monday we learned another manager in the group has resigned.

I think it's just that the recent merger of two huge companies has made people nervous.

If I understand correctly the 65% of my current job I am doing for the subsidiary will be part of my job duties. 

The hiring manager is already giving me assignments for the HQ group, so it's like I don't have a choice.

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, Airehead said:

what will your commute be like?

22 minutes. Same office just different managers. At least 2/3’s of the job will be the same, working for the Indy team. Current managers are in Indy. New Managers are in Connecticut. I’ve known the Connecticut people for 9 years. 

• Heart 1

17 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

You may borrow your choice of any of my Alexander Julian sweaters for the interview. I want you to look spiffy.  

17 hours ago, Airehead said:

this will work

Alexander Julian Colours Men's Argyle Sweater Vest Blue Cotton Size XLT

I would go with this.  It says I an serious but I still like to party.

Mens-tuxedo-onesie-02.Jpg

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

Pretty good. The HR person didn’t know much about the position, so I had to explain it to her. 

The senior manager is in Connecticut, and I’m going to another one of our offices in Connecticut Friday the 13th, so maybe I’ll meet him that day.  I know him, but never met him face to face. 

• Heart 1

30 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Interview with the hiring manager in Connecticut next Friday the 13th.  He's a Brazilian, so from a very traditional society. I will wear pants.

Actually, you should wear a dress then to make him feel more at home.

I had a coworker at another company I worked for that used to visit our Brazil facility often.  He said our counterparts down there used to like to take him out and play a game of male of female.  My coworker said he usually failed miserably.  So yeah, depending on what part of Brazil he's from, traditional isn't exactly traditional.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, BuffJim said:

Just got a call.  I got the promotion. Now I'll have to figure out how to untangle myself from my current job. They will post for a replacement, but not sure how long that will take.

Raise is about 7%, with the normal merit raise (3%) next spring.  I got an 8% raise in January, so 18% in 15 months isn't bad.

I'll be a boss again, for the first time since about 2005.

Congratulations!

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, BuffJim said:

Just got a call.  I got the promotion. Now I'll have to figure out how to untangle myself from my current job. They will post for a replacement, but not sure how long that will take.

Raise is about 7%, with the normal merit raise (3%) next spring.  I got an 8% raise in January, so 18% in 15 months isn't bad.

I'll be a boss again, for the first time since about 2005.

Please accept my deepest condolences.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:13 PM, Randomguy said:

Did they offer you the key to the executive restroom?

I didn't notice this from way back when.

I've been officially banned from restroom facilities at my company.  It's a long story and I won't bore you with details.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

I didn't notice this from way back when.

I've been officially banned from restroom facilities at my company.  It's a long story and I won't bore you with details.

Congratulations on the promotion.  Sorry you have to be the boss.  Somebody has take a turn in the barrel though.

Now, the restroom facilities story sounds completely un boring.   :nodhead:

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Congratulations on the promotion.  Sorry you have to be the boss.  Somebody has take a turn in the barrel though.

Now, the restroom facilities story sounds completely un boring.   :nodhead:

copycat.  try to post something original and do not just steal from the last three or four posts before you.

Best of luck.  I hope the responsibility level fits you well!

When I was a young industrial chemist there was a brilliant man pushing 60 who had been a manager of a large company. He left it to become a plant operator.  He was offered the foreman job several times and always turned it down.  In my 20's, I couldn't understand it.  I wanted to be chief chemist and I got it in a couple years.

Then, after I had become a teacher and was several years from retirement I was offered department chairmanship and some board of ed liaison positions in our 12 high school countywide system and turned them all down except for some curriculum creation stuff and coaching cross country and chess.  Then, I understood why the former manager just wanted to be a plant operator.  If I wanted a full-time job after I retired, that's about as much responsibility as I'd want: a little more than a Walmart greeter, but mostly a tell me what to do job.

• Heart 1