Why do you live where you live?

Randomguy

I live in Brooklyn because this was the now wife's place, and since I own her outright, it became my place, too.

I love New York and have lived here for about 7 years now.  I have wanted to live here for quite a while, because I love big cities.  I love the middle of nowhere, too, it is the suburban cultural desert that I detest.   Anyway, I am ready to leave, though, basically because it is damn near impossible to get away from noise or to the outdoors, plus every damn thing costs twice as much as it should.

Because I spent my entire life in Florida and it was too hot and too full of crazy people. I came out to Seattle in 2001 (with intention of "checking it out" as it was a good place for my career field), and loved the area very much. Now I live in the Seattle area and mostly love it. Getting into a different category of outside activities. 

Good schools, when I moved there, it was out on the edge surrounded by corn fields (no more :( ) and more ground out in the country was to expensive at the time.  Everyday though, I get closer to be able to afford more ground.

I was born in Dallas to a mother who was born in Dallas and a father who was born in Waco.  Sharrocks have been in Texas since the days of The Republic of Texas or early Texas statehood.  My mothers side of the family has been in Texas for a few generations as well.  It is home to us.  There are much prettier places to live but for some reason, I cannot and do not want to leave Texas.  

I grew up in NW Pennsylvania.  I went on a job interview in Michigan 1979 for a competitor of my then current employer.  I got a job offer but had no intentions of ever accepting it.  Being young and foolish, I tried to use it as leverage for a raise.  10 minutes later I was unemployed and calling to accept the offer in Michigan.  I have been here ever since.  Met my wife here and raised our family 

That info is classified.  It isn't Bend, but we may find our way back to Bend.

We want to travel around.  See different areas. We have seen/done Bend.

Bloomington, Indiana.  I knew it.

I sort of landed here and stayed for a while.  It's pretty decent.  

Although, it's time for a change.  I need to live in another area for a while and explore that.  I am growing older and the clock is ticking.

never underestimate how important it is to have roots, especially when you are older

people don't think about this in our society, but its the truth. We have bullshitted ourselves in to thinking that we don't need anybody else, but that's not true

• Heart 1

I love the cultural wasteland of suburbia.  You get a little land and some nearby conveniences. 

We chose the neighborhood because of the schools and low crime.  It is also central to both my and Mrs. Silly's work. 

I grew up in the Detroit area.  I lived in DC for a while and liked it some.  I missed the serenity of the suburban cultural wasteland.  I got sick of DC tourists, they got in the way.  This might surprise you but Detroit isn't the tourist mecca that many think it is.  Apart from the whole 2008 thing, the auto industry offers pretty good employment at a pretty good pay.

Mostly, the weather. I probably could live just about anywhere, but I like the green trees and rolling hills. Summers don't get terribly hot and winters are mild. I suppose I've considered moving to Kentucky a few times, because I'd like a little more snowy winters (Nashville doesn't get any anymore)...

never underestimate how important it is to have roots, especially when you are older

people don't think about this in our society, but its the truth. We have bullshitted ourselves in to thinking that we don't need anybody else, but that's not true

I can make my own roots.  Anywhere I move, I will make friends.

I have no family anyway, so nothing is keeping me here.

:)

Would you even have time to ride with me?

I would try to find time, though in my current level of conditioning, you probably wouldn't want to.  Of course there is always the Par8, if we could get him on dirt.

I can make my own roots.  Anywhere I move, I will make friends.

I have no family anyway, so nothing is keeping me here.

yep, this is what I'm talking about. You'll make aquaintences, but will they help you when you are old and need somebody to take you to the doctor? will they even check in on you when you haven't been around?

or will they find your carcass after 2 weeks when somebody reports the smell to the township office?

I'm being serious here

roots take time to grow. If you never worked there, didn't go to school there, and didn't live there more than 10 years and didn't get involved in stuff with the town, school, or Church what kind of roots are you going to have?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, I'm really trying to help you out. People don't think about this stuff when they have their health, but you have been out there for a good part of your adult life now, so don't throw that away because you had some arbitrary notion from your youth about moving around

mobility is the biggest lie in our culure. It is what destroyed families and towns all over America

• Heart 1

yep, this is what I'm talking about. You'll make aquaintences, but will they help you when you are old and need somebody to take you to the doctor? will they even check in on you when you haven't been around?

or will they find your carcass after 2 weeks when somebody reports the smell to the township office?

I'm being serious here

roots take time to grow. If you never worked there, didn't go to school there, and didn't live there more than 10 years and didn't get involved in stuff with the town, school, or Church what kind of roots are you going to have?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, I'm really trying to help you out. People don't think about this stuff when they have their health, but you have been out there for a good part of your adult life now, so don't throw that away because you had some arbitrary notion from your youth about moving around

mobility is the biggest lie in our culure. It is what destroyed families and towns all over America

Will the people here look for me?  Not so sure they would either.  Everyone is busy leading their lives.

The town I am looking at, I have roots there.  I have some very good friends there.  I chat with the people there, almost daily.

Will the people here look for me? Not so sure they would either. Everyone is busy leading their lives.

up in town maybe. Out here we look in on each other, help each other out. Look out for each other

well, if you aren't a part of the community there, then you may as well move wherever. You'll probably have the same experience there, too.

but I admit that I am sad for you. you are missing out on something that human beings were meant to have :(

I agree with Nate here.  It is weird, but I have always felt connected with the land in Texas.  Perhaps because we have been here so long on both sides of my family and many of the Sharrocks and Hardins farmed.  I know that I have family in this state that would take care of me, or Martha or the boys at the drop of a hat.

Will the people here look for me?  Not so sure they would either.  Everyone is busy leading their lives.

The town I am looking at, I have roots there.  I have some very good friends there.  I chat with the people there, almost daily.

Boise?  Missoula?

So wth is it such a big secret for you?  The person who owns the company I work for had a baby a few months before we did, and they did the whole "we aren't telling anyone if it will be a boy or a girl, we want it to be a surprise" thing, kind of insufferable, really.  Big surprise, you have 50% odds anyway.  Besides, he had previously said he wanted to have a boy when they found out she was knocked up, so by not telling, it became a near certainty that it was going to be a girl. 

up in town maybe. Out here we look in on each other, help each other out. Look out for each other

well, if you aren't a part of the community there, then you may as well move wherever. You'll probably have the same experience there, too.

but I admit that I am sad for you. you are missing out on something that human beings were meant to have :(

I don't think you understood me.

I am very involved in the community crap.  I am a board member of a local advocacy group that builds and maintains trails.  I am loaded with friends in the area.  I can't leave the house without seeing people I know and chatting me up and giving me a hug.  If I need help, there are people that are more than willing to help me with house things, a car, etc. There is no need to feel sorry for me.  It isn't like I am all alone here.  My point is that the people that would notice a problem would be people that you live with or your family, and that would be my husband.  

My point is that these people are not my family, and I can make these sorts of connections again.  I easily make connections and friends and fit into the community.

Boise?  Missoula?

So wth is it such a big secret for you?  The person who owns the company I work for had a baby a few months before we did, and they did the whole "we aren't telling anyone if it will be a boy or a girl, we want it to be a surprise" thing, kind of insufferable, really.  Big surprise, you have 50% odds anyway.  Besides, he had previously said he wanted to have a boy when they found out she was knocked up, so by not telling, it became a near certainty that it was going to be a girl. 

I just don't see the need to post my plans on a public forum.  We are friends beyond this forum.  This discussion is best in an email.

hey, you know I am just giving you a hard time now

I said what I did about roots because you remind me of my dad and sister and how they look at the world.

I'm more like my ma, I like having aunts and uncle sand cousins around. My dad is the one who likes the geographical buffer from family

I wish he could relent and move back, but that aint gonna happen

hey, you know I am just giving you a hard time now

I said what I did about roots because you remind me of my dad and sister and how they look at the world.

I'm more like my ma, I like having aunts and uncle sand cousins around. My dad is the one who likes the geographical buffer from family

I wish he could relent and move back, but that aint gonna happen

We might come back to this area.  The houses aren't being sold.  I think we will just rent them, or sell one and keep one.  Unsure.

I am just an optimist.  I will make friends anywhere.  People love me.   :D

The US Air Force transferred me to this area in 1977. After many years of trying, I finally got an assignment out of here over to England in 1988. At the end of my tour there, they sent me right back to Scott AFB in 1992. 

By time I was ready to retire from the USAF, our kids were in high school or local colleges. Plus my wife had a good job and I was able to find employment pretty easy. Therefore we decided not to move back to Cincinnati.

We just paid off the house, so I doubt that we'll move anytime soon.

Because all my possessions are in my house.  If I lived somewhere else, I wouldn't have any of my clothes, or my cat. I would have to drive to my house each day to get ready for work, and that would waste a lot of time.

• Heart 1

Because all my possessions are in my house.  If I lived somewhere else, I wouldn't have any of my clothes, or my cat. I would have to drive to my house each day to get ready for work, and that would waste a lot of time.

Does anyone really own a cat? 

I live in the suburbs of Greater Tampa. I love it here. Grew up in and around Detroit and my illness couldn't stand the cold weather anymore.

I had vacationed here for spring break and had delusions of grandeur of a sand and womenz. Moved here, found out I love it even though I am not the baller I envisioned as an overly optimistic 18 y.o.

The wife and I have considered a change sometime in the next ten years. Who knows, I am still young, I can go anywhere.

i live here because it is where i do things that keep me alive..

this is the question you should ask yourself, if you are just living somewhere or does it make you feel alive..    i have a sneaky feeling you would answer... 42.

this city is a bustle, always something happening so your brain is  either overloaded with distractions or the distractions keep you from shooting someone  :)   i like here a lot.

but i  will be "living" somewhere else i am sure of it...wether i feel alive there will be the question.

I agree with Kirbie and Larry David - moving is aboot as eville as running.

And I am endlessly jealous of Zackny, Suzie, and quest - all truly gorgeous places, but I can take comfort that they are fricken cold during the winter. :)

I moved here to the suburban wasteland south of Philly 35 years ago for my job, and it is nice.  I cant imagine a better climate - perfect spring and fall with tolerable summer and winter.  And good safe wide sparsely traveled biking roads. :)  The best part is the varied stuff all within a short drive - the Jersey shore, the PA mountains, NYC, etc., etc., etc.

I am probably the only person in the world who did not want to leave Toledo.  After graduating, I loved the town so much, I thought I would live there forever.

In 1998, I got a teaching job.

In 1998, my soon-to-be wife got a teaching job.

In 1999, I was laid off.

In 1999, We got married.

in 2000, she got laid off. 

That  summer, we moved to Columbus without jobs. 

In 2000, she got a teaching job... I worked as a substitute teacher and a bartender.

In 2001, I got a full time teaching job. I still worked as a bartender

We've been in Columbus ever since. I love it here, but I miss Toledo. Too bad the economic crash destroyed that city.