Gonna try something different

ChrisL

Any of you ride with glasses on? Is it a PITA? Got any tips? 

I have been wearing contacts for decades and have some Oakley Radar’s I ride in.  However the past few months I have been getting really dry eyes after rides & need to take my contacts out immediately after or I’ll get headaches. Even rewetting the contacts doesn’t seem to help, they just gotta come out.

So I got some new glasses made by Oakley (yeah I like Oakley but I just liked these the best)  so they have the gummy ear & nose pieces and are really light. Although they are not a wrap around style I think they will stay on my face better for outdoor activities.  I also had them add transition lenses but skipped the bifocal as I’m thinking these will be more outside glasses.

I’m thinking I’m going to try these on rides & see if it helps the dry eye & headaches I have been getting.   I figure I’ll still get wind in my eyes but without a contact lens in them I’m hoping I won’t get the headaches.  I haven’t worn glasses regularly outdoors since my early 20’s so should be an interesting switch.  

I wear readers.  I use them 100% of the time.  They work well for me.  My eyes hate sunglasses.  I have not been able to wear sunglasses for decades.  So I ordered inexpensive clear wraparound safety glasses with a reader magnification.  I don't need them for seeing the road but I can't read the cycle computer without them and they keep bugs out of my eyes.  That's what I've done for the past several years

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

I wear readers.  I use them 100% of the time.  They work well for me.  My eyes hate sunglasses.  I have not been able to wear sunglasses for decades.  So I ordered inexpensive clear wraparound safety glasses with a reader magnification.  I don't need them for seeing the road but I can't read the cycle computer without them and they keep bugs out of my eyes.  That's what I've done for the past several years

Hmm good point I wonder if I’ll be able to read my Garmin. I have very minimal bifocal on my glasses and don’t need readers (most of the time) with my contact lenses in.  That and the Garmin is about 2’ away from my eyes so hopefully I’ll be able to see it OK.

22 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have been wearing contacts for decades and have some Oakley Radar’s I ride in.  However the past few months I have been getting really dry eyes after rides & need to take my contacts out immediately after or I’ll get headaches. Even rewetting the contacts doesn’t seem to help, they just gotta come out.

So I got some new glasses made by Oakley (yeah I like Oakley but I just liked these the best)  so they have the gummy ear & nose pieces and are really light. Although they are not a wrap around style I think they will stay on my face better for outdoor activities.  I also had them add transition lenses but skipped the bifocal as I’m thinking these will be more outside glasses.

I’m thinking I’m going to try these on rides & see if it helps the dry eye & headaches I have been getting.   I figure I’ll still get wind in my eyes but without a contact lens in them I’m hoping I won’t get the headaches.  I haven’t worn glasses regularly outdoors since my early 20’s so should be an interesting switch.  

Without the bifocals how bad is your near vision.  Would you be able to see to pop a link on a broken chain of fix a flat?  I ask because I have cataract replacement lenses in my eyes that are fixed far field focus and I can't see small details without my glasses within a couple of feet of my eyes.  I can't for example read this computer screen at an arm's length.  There might be some repairs on a bike that I would struggle with.

I wear my regular glasses on rides.  Rubberized frame that I think is titanium.  Very bendy and comes back to shape.  Transistion lenses, so they get dark outside.  Works well for me, except when it is cold they take a long time to transition back to light when you go inside.

• Heart 2

In my 40's..my eyes just didn't  like contacts anymore.  After a couple of hours..my eyes felt scratched and sore. I don't have bike specific glasses..so I wear my regular prescription sunglasses or regular glasses when I ride...it is what it is..I miss the contacts 2 years and $$$ trying other contacts later I live with it :dontknow:

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, dennis said:

I wear glasses or prescription sunglasses on every ride. I typically ski with them too. Contacts are better for skiing so you don't fog, but I'm often too lazy to put my contacts in. 

I am a ham fisted oaf and cannot shove the lens into my baggy eyes with one of my stubby fat fingers.

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

9 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Without the bifocals how bad is your near vision.  Would you be able to see to pop a link on a broken chain of fix a flat?  I ask because I have cataract replacement lenses in my eyes that are fixed far field focus and I can't see small details without my glasses within a couple of feet of my eyes.  I can't for example read this computer screen at an arm's length.  There might be some repairs on a bike that I would struggle with.

Hmm another good point...

OK so tying a dry fly is a no go without readers and tying a saltwater fly is hard but doable without readers... I do grab a pair when I go fishing as tying is just quicker.  I have readers on my desk at work and do need them when looking at fine print on schematics or floor plans but not for text.

I think it’s doable but yeah finding a pinhole might be tough. Except I run tubeless so hopefully it won’t be an issue. I think I can manage a broken chain or major issue but I guess I’ll find out!

44 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

For years I've used Oakley M-Frames, and these IMO are extremely comfortable for riding. When I bought Rx sunglasses I chose Oakley Half Jacket 2.0. They're ok, but not as comfortable as M-Frames. M-Frame lenses are not available in Rx, but a snap in piece is. I didn't want a lens behind the lens. I will say though, SportRX did a great job making the Rx lenses w/ progressive grind.

• Heart 1

I can’t believe people ride bikes without glasses. Don’t you have bugs where you live? Going down a hill at 30+ mph and a wasp or Yellowjacket fly into your eye could cause permanent damage to your eye. Even a fly could cause you to crash when it hits your eyeball at speed. I used to wear prescription sports sunglasses when I ride with polycarbonate safety lenses in them. At night I would just wear clear nonprescription plastic safety glasses. When my fancy glasses wore out I just started wearing regular sunglasses and keep the clear glasses jammed into my seat bag. I don’t even like to ride through tunnels without eye protection. 

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, 12string said:

If you ride in contacts, you need wrap around glasses.  There's really no way around it 

Even if you don't wear contacts, wrap arounds are much better for your eyes.

Not disputing this but the odd thing is I was, had been for years trouble free.  But recently started experiencing this issue.

33 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I wear rigid gas permeable contacts and as such always need to wear wrap arounds when cycling to keep them from drying out.  I have tinted  and clear.

So I got to thinking and I started a new box of lenses right about the time I started noticing this issue... I wonder if they are different lenses...

• Heart 1

I put a lot of effort into getting tactical eyewear for riding. B) I've worn glasses since a young age and now I need bifocals. I tried glasses with inserts. They suck. Now I wear a set of prescription single vision wrap arounds. For riding, I don't really need the bifocal part, I can see the computer. WileyX with dark green lenses.

I'd put up a picture of me in my tactical eyewear but then I would have to kill you.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I can’t believe people ride bikes without glasses. Don’t you have bugs where you live? Going down a hill at 30+ mph and a wasp or Yellowjacket fly into your eye could cause permanent damage to your eye. Even a fly could cause you to crash when it hits your eyeball at speed. I used to wear prescription sports sunglasses when I ride with polycarbonate safety lenses in them. At night I would just wear clear nonprescription plastic safety glasses. When my fancy glasses wore out I just started wearing regular sunglasses and keep the clear glasses jammed into my seat bag. I don’t even like to ride through tunnels without eye protection. 

Yeah I’m not sure of how this got off the rails but I always ride with glasses on. Oakley’s during the day, clear lensed glasses on my night rides. Getting crap in my eyes is bad, with contacts in its misery...

I've use my glasses all the time.  Even back in grade school.   One day the teacher was talking to my mom.  And they were discussing how my grades were slipping.   My mom asked my what's going on, etc...  I told her I couldn't see the writing on the blackboard.    Soon I had glasses....

Now I wear progressive bi-focal lenses, of course all the time.  I have an old pair of prescription sun glasses for riding.   They have large lenses...  

And I wear a head band to keep the sweet from dripping down on my glasses.

The only time I've taken them off while riding, was in a rain storm.   I was miles from home, and it stated to RAIN.  I had to take off the glasses... too many rain drops bluring my vision,  I could see better without them. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

For years I've used Oakley M-Frames, and these IMO are extremely comfortable for riding. When I bought Rx sunglasses I chose Oakley Half Jacket 2.0. They're ok, but not as comfortable as M-Frames. M-Frame lenses are not available in Rx, but a snap in piece is. I didn't want a lens behind the lens. I will say though, SportRX did a great job making the Rx lenses w/ progressive grind.

I said Radar but they are M frames. Yeah I loved them for riding until recently.

Several recommendations for RX sunglasses too. I thought of that as well but thought I’d like the option of going inside & being able to see and wearing them outside for other stuff.  

Other than they not wrapping around, the frames have a lot in common with the M Frames. 

• Heart 1

The technology to create prescription wrap around lenses is 100% effective, to a limit. Oakley keeps their prescription lens operation in house, I believe. Quality control and Oakley's specialized lenses are the reasons behind that. You can actually get after market lenses for most frame brands.

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Not disputing this but the odd thing is I was, had been for years trouble free.  But recently started experiencing this issue.

So I got to thinking and I started a new box of lenses right about the time I started noticing this issue... I wonder if they are different lenses...

More likely your eyes re just getting old and dried out.  Have you lately found yourself making sure your out of Golden Corral in time to drive home in daylight?

• Haha 2

I wear glasses full time. Progressive lenses. The better to see you with. I wear my regular glasses in low light/night and Oakley Flak Jackets in the sun. I prefer the wrap coverage for eye protection. I tried the transition lenses but didn’t like how long it took to change and that they don’t work in the car. 

15 minutes ago, 12string said:

More likely your eyes re just getting old and dried out.  Have you lately found yourself making sure your out of Golden Corral in time to drive home in daylight?

My night vision is OK but you got me with the Golden Corral reference!   The now ex of the dreaded MIL would always drag us there back in the day. The kids loved the dessert bar! 

4 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I ride with my regular glasses and no goggles and they are no problem up to 29 mph.  They fit well and comfortable and don't fall off.

I used to wear contacts until I needed bifocals in my 50's and didn't like the bifocal contacts then available or the long vision in one eye and short vision in the other.

When I wore contacts coaching cross country or softball and it was a really windy day, that was a PITA.  My solution was to wear lab goggles!

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah I’m not sure of how this got off the rails but I always ride with glasses on. Oakley’s during the day, clear lensed glasses on my night rides. Getting crap in my eyes is bad, with contacts in its misery...

I was recently told by my optician that some yellow clip on's over my glasses will help with my deteriorating night vision.  Is this what shooters always knew?

18 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I was recently told by my optician that some yellow clip on's over my glasses will help with my deteriorating night vision.  Is this what shooters always knew?

Yes, I wore yellow shooting glasses in indoor ranges in the late 1980’s for better low light visibility.

If you wear progressive...don't try to cheap out with straight vision. Initially I did due to technology wouldn't support a curved frame...but technology improved. Would always have to bring my other glasses to cover and lost one time when fell out the partially zippered rear saddle bag.

Always worn Rudy Project Rydon with insert as couldn't bring self to buy the premium sunglasses with all the marketing fufu about how great the glass is...then pop the lens out to put in RX glass. Makes them very expensive frames!

Two photos below after my accident in Sept. Was in 4 parts on the trail, and a bike behind me ran over the frame before we collected the 'debris' - including my iPhone - off the trail. Thought I needed new glasses but they popped back together and straightened the nose bridge. Also, with their lifetime 'warranty' for $24 I can replace the lens. First time I did it, I enhanced with some scraping...this time I don't have to.

IMG_3309.JPG

IMG_3304.JPG

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

Initially I did due to technology wouldn't support a curved frame...but technology improved.

I have had 3 pairs of RP with bifocal inserts. Inserts are somewhat a PITA. However I've been able to get Smith lineless sunglass bifocals in a curved frame lately. Expensive but worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I ended up getting different frames and I’m 85% happy.  I have 90 days to return them if I don’t like them.  

So I got a frame that aren’t as outdoor equipped as the Oakley’s as in they don’t have the rubberized nose nor ear pieces but are the lightest frames I have ever had.  I had them made with transitions, without progressives.

Pros - Distance vision is outstanding and I don’t have blurriness as I look down without moving my head.  The glasses are light, comfortable and I can read my Garmin just fine. Best of all I just rode 30 miles and no dry eye nor headache!

Cons- Yeah making a roadside repair will be tough. I also can’t read my phone very well with them on. I did increase the font size and bolded the text.  It’s doable but hard.  I can send an emergency text but ain’t posting here with them on.

I think this is more of an adjustment than a con but my glasses bouncing on my face going over bumps is unnerving.  I’m not sure how they will be on the MTB.

Now remember these are an extra set of glasses, I have some that are progressive & not transition that I wear inside.   I also can wear my contacts for rides.

If I change anything, I might add Progressive but so far I’m leaning on not.  I think I’d rather have clear vision throughout the lenses than the ability to see up close.  I can always swap glasses as needed.