What Are The Best Natural Sleep Aids?

Razors Edge

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Just melatonin??  Maybe valerian?  Teas?

Does someone have disruptive sleep?  

If it's serious enough, there is a regime a sleep doctor recommends.  It's actually going to sleep when you're really tired..then over time  (it could be crawling bed at midnight), you gradually go to bed abit early.  My sleep doctor recommended no computer nor TV exposure an hr. or more before bed. That includes no looking at iphone.  

Also to cover your clock/time, so brain doesn't get obsessed about time/inability to sleep.

I didn't want to take melatonin..often at all nor long term. I did try a natural tea with a bit of valerian.  

• Thank You 1

I would come home from work at night and if I start telling my wife about the kind of night I had she would fall asleep almost immediately. I never realized she had trouble staying asleep until after she was gone and I found all kind of over the counter sleep aids in her cupboard. She should have woke me up and had me finish the story.

• Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Scotch, Bourbon, Gin or Tequila. 

Yeah - alcohol seems to be a big no-no for "good" sleep.  It certainly works for me, but I know from when I have a cold and take Nyquil, I am SCREWED if I wake up, as I then can never get back to sleep.  Alcohol and Nyquil will knock me out, but wears off.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - alcohol seems to be a big no-no for "good" sleep.  It certainly works for me, but I know from when I have a cold and take Nyquil, I am SCREWED if I wake up, as I then can never get back to sleep.  Alcohol and Nyquil will knock me out, but wears off.

Obviously a bit tongue in cheek. It gets me to sleep for half a night, but not good quality sleep. 

• Heart 2

9 hours ago, Dottles said:

Masturbation. I thought you figured that out at age 7?

I will say, I've always slept like a baby. :dontknow:

17 hours ago, BuffJim said:

I bought some CBD gummies. They are helping with sleep. Just started last week, so not sure if it’s a sustainable solution. 

Yeah, that still seems to be gaining traction.

25 minutes ago, Dottles said:

CBD gummies? The non-thc version?

Yes I think so. Label says a small amount of THC in it.  I fell victim to an internet scam, but they delivered the product and it really does seem to help me sleep. When I run out, if I want to get more, I’ll find a more reputable dealer, if one exists in the CBD market. 

12 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Advil Pm works for me. I should just switch to Benadryl. Melatonin doesn’t do much for me, but my wife finds it useful.

I used to take benedryl at night to deal with allergies, but i saw some study showing a correlation between certain ingredients and Alzheimers.  It was all preliminary and didn't prove causation, and who knows if it's even still current, but it was enough to make me cut back.  You may want to talk to your doctor before taking it regularly

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/common-anticholinergic-drugs-like-benadryl-linked-increased-dementia-risk-201501287667

35 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Yes I think so. Label says a small amount of THC in it.  I fell victim to an internet scam, but they delivered the product and it really does seem to help me sleep. When I run out, if I want to get more, I’ll find a more reputable dealer, if one exists in the CBD market. 

Oh there are. That chits legal up here. I don’t buy the stuff but probably could locate someone easy for you. Or I could buy them and send them to you much the same way @jsharr does for me and coffee. Though I’m not sure such a thing is legal. I know! I could send ‘em in the coffee!!

4 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

He said it was ok, but I may do a bit more investigating now. Maybe @donkpow has a pamphlet he would share?

I'm not in the medical field, so it's entirely possible this theory was debunked subsequently or the whole process was worthless.  Around that time a bunch of other allergy medicines that used to be prescription became available and I mostly stopped using benedryl unless I had a bad allergic reaction.

6 hours ago, Kirby said:

I'm not in the medical field, so it's entirely possible this theory was debunked subsequently or the whole process was worthless.  Around that time a bunch of other allergy medicines that used to be prescription became available and I mostly stopped using benedryl unless I had a bad allergic reaction.

Seems like a good decision. While the association to AD isn’t clearly causative, this is concerning:

“A study of 2 longitudinal cohorts reported that anticholinergic use (not diphenhydramine specifically) was associated with poorer memory, lower executive function, reduced cerebral glucose metabolism and increased brain atrophy (reduced total cortical volume and temporal lobe cortical thickness, and greater lateral ventricle volumes) compared to nonusers.”