If You Have A Cell Phone?

Razors Edge

It is a work phone and I don't want to carry two cell phones so I use the landline for calling family on the other side of the country which I am not supposed to do with my work phone.  There are also people I don't want to have unfettered access to me so I give them the home phone number if they need to get a hold of me

• Heart 3

2 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

It is a work phone and I don't want to carry two cell phones so I use the landline for calling family on the other side of the country which I am not supposed to do with my work phone.  There are also people I don't want to have unfettered access to me so I give them the home phone number if they need to get a hold of me

You may not be allowed, but you can roll with two separate phone numbers (and plans/minutes/data) simultaneously on cell phones these days.  Carrying one phone, but separating "work" from "personal" usage.

But, yeah, work phones do complicate it a bit.

I'm not special like Zephyr. :whistle:

I haven't yet unglued myself from landline.  I'm just not totally used to having/using my iphone frequently. So I warn people, if they know I'm home and want to get a hold of me immediately, use my land line. I don't always turn on iphone. 

THis is not strange in my family 2 out of 5 family members don't have a cell phone at all.

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I'm not special like Zephyr. :whistle:

I haven't yet unglued myself from landline.  I'm just not totally used to having/using my iphone frequently. So I warn people, if they know I'm home and want to get a hold of me immediately, use my land line. I don't always turn on iphone. 

THis is not strange in my family 2 out of 5 family members don't have a cell phone at all.

If you opted to move to a new home, would you set up a landline again, or just leave the iPhone turned on?  

Canada may be different, but nowadays, when I ask folks about their land lines, most say almost every call they get is SPAM.  That would drive me nuts.

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

If you opted to move to a new home, would you set up a landline again, or just leave the iPhone turned on?  

Canada may be different, but nowadays, when I ask folks about their land lines, most say almost every call they get is SPAM.  That would drive me nuts.

No I rarely get spam. It's unlisted.

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You may not be allowed, but you can roll with two separate phone numbers (and plans/minutes/data) simultaneously on cell phones these days.  Carrying one phone, but separating "work" from "personal" usage.

If it were me, I'd keep the work & personal cells separate. For a couple reasons. If there is an issue w/ the phone, just let the company deal with it, and with upgrades. If I upgraded the phone, and somethings not working w/ the company portion, then its my fault. Also, if I were to resign, they'll want to make sure no business info is on the phone. Could be a cluster. 

• Heart 1

We killed home service ages ago. We also had the phone jacks removed and covered when we remodeled so there are no landline jacks.  We also had our cable lines rerun through the attack &!down the walls for a cleaner look.

My cell is a work phone but I use it for personal use. I just stay off any sites that violate our policies.  

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

If it were me, I'd keep the work & personal cells separate. For a couple reasons. If there is an issue w/ the phone, just let the company deal with it, and with upgrades. If I upgraded the phone, and somethings not working w/ the company portion, then its my fault. Also, if I were to resign, they'll want to make sure no business info is on the phone. Could be a cluster. 

Reasonable arguments.  I think the chip (if physical) would be easy enough to pop out and into a replacement, but definitely something to consider.  

• Heart 1

The Verizon Triple Package (Phone, Internet, Fios TV) in my area is cheap with the land line, more with a cell phone.

The Verizon Triple Package with a land line plus a Tracfone is cheaper than that the Verizon Triple Package with a cell phone.

So I've got a land line.

The Tracfone cell phone I bought is a Samsung Galaxy S7, which is fine for apps, pictures, and video and I have a 256 GB SDHC card that gives me way more memory than I'd use on a month of a photographic/video vacation.  I get unlimited phone and text and all the Internet I need (12 GB) for $199/yr ($16.58/month).  Since I don't use my cellphone for much besides a camera, I might go with the 1500 min phone, 1500 text, 1.46 GB data for $125/yr next time.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Reasonable arguments.  I think the chip (if physical) would be easy enough to pop out and into a replacement, but definitely something to consider.  

My last 4 cell phones have been company issued and I just printed out my contacts and rebuilt my contact list when I got a new company phone.  This is my first IPhone and my back up is set up with my personal email. Easy peasy to reload everything

My company just revoked all company issued cell phones but mine.  As my number is tied to our telephony system I get alerts whenever 911 is called as well as a crap ton of emergency contact literature.  So I’ll be the lone exception within our company in a few weeks! 

I prefer the house phone for most calls.  Have you folks ever heard what you sound like when calling from a cell phone.  It certainly wouldn't belong in the "building a hi fi thread".  Most cell phone calls to me sound like crap.

I have the cell phone for when I'm not at home and that's usually the only time it's on.

• Heart 2

My cell phone reception can be spotty and I'm often on long conference calls for work.   Even though we more often use video meetings now, there are still times when we use calls and the landline can be important then.   Once I retire, the main reason for keeping it will be gone, although I can get a phone line with cable and internet so it won't be much, if any, extra.

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

The Verizon Triple Package (Phone, Internet, Fios TV) in my area is cheap with the land line, more with a cell phone.

The Verizon Triple Package with a land line plus a Tracfone is cheaper than that the Verizon Triple Package with a cell phone.

So I've got a land line.

The Tracfone cell phone I bought is a Samsung Galaxy S7, which is fine for apps, pictures, and video and I have a 256 GB SDHC card that gives me way more memory than I'd use on a month of a photographic/video vacation.  I get unlimited phone and text and all the Internet I need (12 GB) for $199/yr ($16.58/month).  Since I don't use my cellphone for much besides a camera, I might go with the 1500 min phone, 1500 text, 1.46 GB data for $125/yr next time.

We're currently on a "double" FIOS and cable TV package which was less than the "triple" option that added a home phone.  Since we have our cell phones, it made no $$$ to go triple over the double, but sometimes they likely run deals that make no sense like the Triple less than the Double plans?

We usually swap back and forth between Comcast and Verizon (AT&T for cell), and will likely jump to Comcast again in the next year or so at which time we might also go with their cell phone plan.

We'll see, but not land line for us with Verizon or Comcast no matter what we end up doing.

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I prefer the house phone for most calls.  Have you folks ever heard what you sound like when calling from a cell phone.  It certainly wouldn't belong in the "building a hi fi thread".  Most cell phone calls to me sound like crap.

I have the cell phone for when I'm not at home and that's usually the only time it's on.

"CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW????" 

:D

Just now, Razors Edge said:

We're currently on a "double" FIOS and cable TV package which was less than the "triple" option that added a home phone.  Since we have our cell phones, it made no $$$ to go triple over the double, but sometimes they likely run deals that make no sense like the Triple less than the Double plans?

We usually swap back and forth between Comcast and Verizon (AT&T for cell), and will likely jump to Comcast again in the next year or so at which time we might also go with their cell phone plan.

We'll see, but not land line for us with Verizon or Comcast no matter what we end up doing.

I haven't checked the plans lately, but when I went for the Triple package, I either had to pay for the cell phone at a much higher price than a Samsung Galaxy S7 from Tracfone, or the monthly cost was higher if I got a "free" smartphone from Verizon.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Further said:

Dropped the landline years ago, but Max is right about sound quality 

I haven’t seen one of those pin drop commercials in decades 

Trade off - sound quality vs long distance charges :D

Remember getting a bill in the mail with all the calls listed? "Who called someone in CA and talked for an HOUR?!?!!?"

• Haha 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Trade off - sound quality vs long distance charges :D

Remember getting a bill in the mail with all the calls listed? "Who called someone in CA and talked for an HOUR?!?!!?"

Oh yeah 

But when cell phones first came out the bills were high I remember a kid I worked with running up a 900 dollar phone bill sometime in the 90’s

1 minute ago, Further said:

Oh yeah 

But when cell phones first came out the bills were high I remember a kid I worked with running up a 900 dollar phone bill sometime in the 90’s

Nights and weekends. Calls to same carrier vs different carrier. Etc.  In college, I had a long distance "plan" so I could call home, from the landline.  It had minutes you could add to, etc., but was also annoying. Cell bills were nuts like that until fairly recently (relatively), with the swap to Wifi calling and unlimited everything.  Used to worry about hitting limits on minutes or texts.  So wild. 

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Not on these.  Because we can access work files and protect B information on them, there are added security measures added to our phones that will not allow piggy backing on the same phone

• Heart 1

My house phone is an internet phone though.  The bit about the bills doesn't apply.  I can call most places for free.  All of the benefits of AT&T without the bills.  The phone package on top of the cable/internet package isn't very expensive.  In fact, because I have them the Xfinity cell phone plan is &15 a month for both my and womaxx's phones combined.  The two boys have unlimited data but they are $45 each.

11 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The phone package on top of the cable/internet package isn't very expensive.  In fact, because I have them the Xfinity cell phone plan is &15 a month for both my and womaxx's phones combined. 

Yeah - the Xfinity cell plan is likely what I go to when we swap to Comcast again.  But you have two distinct phones types - the Voip type/landline bundled with Comcast - and the cell type (Comcast Xfinity cell using their wifi hotspots and I think Verizon cell towers?).  Do you wan't or need both?  And you find the Voip one as clear as an old Ma Bell landline? 

No landline.   WoBG and I each have a cell phone.

When we built our home we decided against installing the wiring for a landline. 

2 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

When I worked, we went thru 3 different policies. 

First...  when cell phones were first being used.  Some of us purchsed cell phones.  I had a bag phone in my car that I could connect to an external antenna for better reception.  Our company started to reimburse for calls we made. 

Then company cell phones were issued to many depts.    I had my cell phone and a company cell phone.   Then we found out we could use the company cell phone for "some' personal calls.  I decided to ditch my cell phone and just use the company cell phone.  Many did that.  Some carried 2 cell phones.

And finally, it became 'Bring Your Own Device' for managers.  The people who worked for me, still could have a company cell phone.   I had to go out and buy a cell phone for myself to be used at work.  There were enterprise security apps I needed to have installed, before I could use my phone for my job.  They were deleted when I retired. 

When I retired...  I still had the same cell phone.  I had the phone number changed.  I didn't want lots of customers calling me when their power was off when I was retired.   If I recall, I did a factory reset, just to be 100% sure no company apps I could not find were left behind that could mess up my phone.

• Heart 3

6 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

WoJSTL wants the landline for some strange reason. I've been changing all our contact info to our cell phones. I plan on getting rid of the landline in the next few months.

I guess getting the tandem didn't end up in divorce court, so you feel confident that dropping the land line will not be problem :scratchhead:

BRILLIANT! :whistle:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

WoJSTL wants the landline for some strange reason.

:scratchhead:  Probably 85% or more of the calls on our landline at our old home were spam.   I just kept the phone for the incredibly slow DSL internet.

7 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I've been changing all our contact info to our cell phones.

All of our contacts are in MS Outlook, on our computers.  WoBG and I each have an MS account online for Outlook email.   The account syncs our computers to our phones.  My laptop has both of our Outlook accounts. That way I can enter contact info in my laptop and it almost instantly syncs to her (or my) phone.    I HATE typing on a phone. 

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - the Xfinity cell plan is likely what I go to when we swap to Comcast again.  But you have two distinct phones types - the Voip type/landline bundled with Comcast - and the cell type (Comcast Xfinity cell using their wifi hotspots and I think Verizon cell towers?).  Do you wan't or need both?  And you find the Voip one as clear as an old Ma Bell landline? 

Just as good.

Except when the power goes out.

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

All of our contacts are in MS Outlook, on our computers.  WoBG and I each have an MS account online for Outlook email.   The account syncs our computers to our phones.  My laptop has both of our Outlook accounts. That way I can enter contact info in my laptop and it almost instantly syncs to her (or my) phone.    I HATE typing on a phone. 

I was talking more about things like businesses and friends that still call us on the land line. For example our credit card company still had our land line to contact us. I changed it to my smart phone.