So you submitted your resignation letter

TrentonMakes

4 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

Fed up with Company A, you interviewed with and got a job offer from Company B.

But when you submitted your resignation, Company A pulled out all the stops and sweet talked you into staying. 

How did that go? Asking for a friend. 

Wilbur said stuff it. You said "Show me the Money!" Oui or non?

• Heart 1

If your friend had tried to talk to Company A about issues, and they didn't make real efforts to address until your friend decided to leave, I'd be wary that any promised changes would last or that they'd be responsive to future issues.  Also, some people will see someone who planned to leave as less loyal and there could be implications down the road.   I know people who've left a company and later went back and did fine, so it's not always the case, but there is usually a reason someone wants to leave.

But change is hard and you never really know what you're getting at a new place.  Wilbur was fortunate because he'd already been at the new place when the old one tried to hire him back, so he knew what the "other side" was.  With a new job you don't know that,  but you try to get the best feeling you can and trust that.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

You already made up your mind.  IMO you have more integrity than to jump back just for dollars.  I did that on a number of occasions in my life and consequently the dollars were never quite what they should have been but the work and companies were great.

Until they got bought.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Never accept a counter offer. Company A will now consider your friend 'disloyal' and if someone has to be shit on, it will be your friend. 

THIS....

4 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

But when you submitted your resignation, Company A pulled out all the stops and sweet talked you into staying. 

Your friend had reasons to leave Company A.  I'd suggest the root cause of those reasons probably didn't change. 

Unless of course the offer was lots of money.   Then again,..  what Jerry said will happen and they will find ways to make it painful for your friend.  By then Company B will no longer need you.

4 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

This is almost solely about workload and stress.

I solved that...  I retired.   Best thing I did.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

They didn't think highly enough to pay your friend what he was worth, and they certainly will do the same when convenient for them once again.  Your friend is an afterthought there, first on the chopping block, first to get the crap projects that take forever and are like pulling teeth.

Your friend needs to bail right away.

• Heart 4

15 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

Fed up with Company A,

Why was your friend fed up with company A?  If it was just because he didn’t think he was being paid what he was worth maybe the company recognized the error of their ways. If it for other reasons offering you more money to stay wouldn’t solve the problem.

Being a blue collar worker I was never really in your friend’s situation but with my type of work the longer I stayed the more benefits and job security I acquired. I also earned the respect of my employers and supervisors. Really not comparable to your friend’s situation but that’s all I got.

• Heart 1

If the problem is money, more money seldom fixes that problem, just changes it a bit.

If the problem is job satisfaction, and they have not addressed the issues before, then your friend should be concerned.

Also, they chose not to pay your friend what they think he or she is worth until they decided to leave.  This is a concern.

If your friend feels that the atmosphere at the new location is more conducive to personal peace and satisfaction, and the compensation is greater, I think your friend should make the move.

We recently gave a programmer a good sized raise and he still decided to make a change for lifestyle reasons.  Slower paced, smaller city closer to family,   We tried the big raise and incentives and that still could not get him to stay.  Housing costs are beginning to be an issue in Texas.  This was not the case in the past.

• Heart 3