Healthy Proteins

Airehead

I love all of the proteins in the body, but I really love insulin - though my body's type-II diabetic cells keep rejecting it.

I also love keratin - I still have a full head of hair at 72 and my fingernails and toenails aren't brittle.

And collagen I love - it's the most abundant body protein and a key protein in bones, tendons, and skin.

I also love the 20 amino acids that make up the proteins.

Isoleucine has always been one of my favorites - it helps in hemoglobin formation and retards muscle diminishment when you're not exercising.

Phenylalanine is another - it enhances learning, memory, mood and alertness.

And where would we be without Histidine - important for the formation of red and white blood cells.

• Awesome 2

1 hour ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

Canned sardines. Omega 3’s. Tasty too. 

My "go to" protein.  I'm a huge PB&J fan too. 

But if I want to add some protein to my day, it is hard to beat the simplicity of canned sardines.  And super portable, so great for camping too. And, on the plus side, the pup loves the residue in the can poured over her kibble.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

But if I want to add some protein to my day, it is hard to beat the simplicity of canned sardines.  And super portable, so great for camping too. And, on the plus side, the pup loves the residue in the can poured over her kibble.

Our pups love the days we open a can of tuna, and share the juice with them.

• Like 1

As sources of healthy protein, I like meat, fish, eggs, and dairy foods.  I can't wait to use up the beef in my freezer before buying some of the "peeled tenderloin" at Costco that my brother bought at $22.99/lb that everyone raved about at our family Christmas party. Best steak ever!

But I do like unhealthy proteins too, like veggies, fruits, and nuts.  They usually are missing one or more essential amino acids found in the healthy proteins but they still help the body, even though they can't do it by themselves.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

For a super protein snack put a couple sardines on your PB&J sandwich.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, sheep_herder said:

Our pups love the days we open a can of tuna, and share the juice with them.

Yep.  My pup is an unabashed carnivore.  Tuna will also make her a happy pup.

I love tuna, but find sardines to be way "easier", with similar ways to prepare and eat as tuna.  Both are really good proteins, but, I guess, sardines are lower down the food chain, so likely less of an impact to the oceans?

23 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

But I do like unhealthy proteins too, like veggies, fruits, and nuts.  They usually are missing one or more essential amino acids found in the healthy proteins but they still help the body, even though they can't do it by themselves.

Haha. I assume you are just being funny.

• Heart 1

Black beans, lentils, hummus, broccoli, asparagus, spinach, kale are plant proteins I use a lot. I don’t like whole chick peas, so I grind them up into hummus, which I found out from the owner of the Persian restaurant we like that hummus means “chickpeas.” 

• Heart 1

35 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

That was the vegetarian debate of the 70s.  I think it shook oot that it is much ado aboot nothing, since most Americans are not aboot to suffer any protein deficiencies. 

I've said before, I may have a million plus problems, but eating enough protein (on a plant bases diet) ain't one of them.  

With my wife doing the keto thing for a while, I was eating WAY more meat-based protein (beyond regular eggs or fish) and it had ZIPPO impact on anything in my life from a fitness or energy or muscle perspective.  I'll have my annual bloodwork soon, so it will be interesting to see if the numbers moved in any direction.  

• Heart 1