Hokas Really Are The New Normal

Razors Edge

Nope.. don't own a pair, but I do wear Puma as my normal shoe, and redwings while at work. 
Personally I prefer a shoe with a thin sole so I feel more like I'm barefoot. sort of like theseimage.png.78721a2a4caada728829d92b92834c2f.png

• Heart 2
  • Like 1

I tried a couple of pair and they didn’t fit well so I passed on them.  ASICS seem to fit my feet well and I bought some mid range Brooks I really like.  

I was at Roadrunner Sports trying them on and I asked the young sales lady if these were a new brand.  Oh no they have been around for ever.  Really because they weren’t around in the mid 90’s when I ran my marathons.  Oh well maybe they aren’t THAT old.  Jeebus the 90’s are older than forever! 😂

I don’t run anymore but like to keep a pair of running shoes around for walking.  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I tried a couple of pair and they didn’t fit well so I passed on them.  ASICS seem to fit my feet well and I bought some mid range Brooks I really like.  

I was at Roadrunner Sports trying them on and I asked the young sales lady if these were a new brand.  Oh no they have been around for ever.  Really because they weren’t around in the mid 90’s when I ran my marathons.  Oh well maybe they aren’t THAT old.  Jeebus the 90’s are older than forever! 😂

I don’t run anymore but like to keep a pair of running shoes around for walking.  

My sister used to wear them for ultra races, but she - I think - has worked that out of her system.

• Heart 2

29 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I just cannot justify dropping $250

I rarely. My training shoes are Saucony Rides, I typically pay around 80-120 for them as I burn through a few pairs. I've tried Nike Pegasus too and liked them but my limit with them is about 10 miles. They're a bit too narrow. Same price though is my spend.

• Heart 1

Hokas, no. I’ve owned several pair of Altra’s; bought them through a retailer site connected to the LBS I used to work at. 50% discount made them affordable.  I don’t like to wear running shoes, I feel like a poseur. I have two pair of Adidas. One for inside, one for outside. I might get some Vans skateboard shoes so I can be a boomer poseur. 

• Heart 1

I got a pair when I had what I self diagnosed as sciatica a few years ago.  The heavy cushioning helped with walking while it acted up.  There are two doctors on a radio show I sometimes listen to who regularly recommend them for people with various orthopedic issues, so I'm not surprised you see them on a lot of old people sometimes (including me)

• Heart 1

They are good enough for Kaci Lickteig. She’s a friend who is one of the better ultra runners in the world. UTFG. Yes they sponsor her, but she has to like a product to use it. She left a big name shoe company some years back because she no longer felt comfortable with them.  
I paid $150 for my Saucony Tempus. My Brooks Hyperions will be that much when I replace them. I just can’t get comfortable with that much sole under me even if it is lightweight. 

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

...shoe for the older crowd.  Interesting to see how they have really become super common footwear on older folks I see walking around nowadays.

Got a pair? Wear them a lot?

I had never heard of them until around 2019 when I was on a trail in colorful New Balance shoes when a runner in colorful shoes stopped to ask me what shoes I was wearing.  I asked him in return and he said, "Hoka One Ones."

I looked them up and the price was beyond what I liked to pay and haven't paid much attention to them since.

• Heart 2

I don't wear them for just banging around. Having that much cushion actually gets tiring for me, when just standing, or working in the kitchen type activities.

But when running or walking with purpose, the padding definitely helps my feet and legs.

The Speedgoat trail shoes are a little stiffer than the one one road shoes, still very well padded but not quite as marshmallowy feeling.

When running on the road wearing the one one's I could tromp on 3/4" gravel, with the ball of my foot and not feel it. Wearing my Asics  that would leave a bruise, and I'd limp for a week.

• Heart 1

My Hoka one ones are worn out and I can’t decide what to replace them with. They are way more cushiony and comfy for walking than my other old man New Balances I wear for daily use. Walking in the New Balance is just snot the same.  But when I bought the Hokas there were some other brands in the same price category, and I think there were a pair of New Bslance or maybe some other common brand that felt perfect when trying them on, but I was on a mission to try the Hokas. I sometimes wish I had bought those instead. 

15 hours ago, dinneR said:

Hokas are not just for the older crowd. I was hiking up the Grand Teton a few years ago. Every single guide was wearing a pair of Hokas and a sun shirt with the hood up.

This is exactly why I started noticing them on the older folks.  I had seen them for years growing in the ultra racing field when I'd head to my sister's races. But now, I see them out there worn by folks just wandering around.  Good or bad, they've really grown as a company.

Sun shirts are their own huge success story.  I don't go to the pool or beach without any of mine - probably for a decade now - and if I was a parent, my kids would be wearing them too.  Still no on the hoodie part but even that makes a ton of sense.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

This is exactly why I started noticing them on the older folks.  I had seen them for years growing in the ultra racing field when I'd head to my sister's races. But now, I see them out there worn by folks just wandering around.  Good or bad, they've really grown as a company.

Sun shirts are their own huge success story.  I don't go to the pool or beach without any of mine - probably for a decade now - and if I was a parent, my kids would be wearing them too.  Still no on the hoodie part but even that makes a ton of sense.

A sun shirt is not just for beaches and pools. I wear mine bikepacking, mt biking, fishing, hiking. The hood keeps you cooler.

So I went to the Hoka site to look at hiking boots.  The Anacap Mid GTX caught my eye and it was only $150ish.  Then I went to some independent review sites and one of the complaints was outsole damage.  Several users complained the outsole took damage in the first few miles.  This concerns me enough that I did not pull the trigger on them.  REI does stock them, so maybe a trip to REI this weekend to try some on, as I in need of a new pair of hiking boots.