Rum drinks and rum in general

jsharr

Been on a bit of rum kick lately.  Been drinking Dark and Stormys, Mojitos, and Cuba Libres.   Last bottle of rum I bought was Mount Gay 1703 Eclipse.

Seldom drink rum straight, usually in a rum drink of some sort.

What is your favorite rum beverage and what is your go to rum for mixing, not sipping.

If you are a sipper, what is your sipping rum?

I grew up learning a few important things from my grandparents.

#1. Never mix liquor.. if it is not good enough straight our of the jug or bottle.. don't drink it.

#2. Redheads will cut out.. they are crazy.

#3. Every meal should be followed by cookies of some sort. (Growing up my grand dad was poor and never had sweets.. he made up for it when he could afford a family)

#4. Manual transmission is the only type of vehicle worth having. Dont be a bitch and drive an automatic!

• Heart 2

12 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I used to put rum in my coffee. It’s pretty good that way.

the rum or the coffee?

8 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

I only drink Rum when I'm in the Tropics. Had some Painkillers and Mojitos on my cruise last month. Yumm

I live in Texas.   Compared to Buffalo, this is the tropics.

• Heart 2

29 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Or getting caught in the rain?

That song is the worst.  Two spouses who would rather cheat on each other because both are nad-less and can't to talk to each other first and either spice it up or break it off are not good song material.   They are reprehensible. 

• Heart 1

I am an amber rum guy.  A sipper..., never mix with anything.  If I want something other than a straight up, it will be bourban in an Old Fashioned

Sipping rums - 

Angostura 1824(don't get the 1919)

Admiral Rodney's 

If you can find it.  Bumbu Craft rum from Barbados.  It will change your life, just not necessarily for the better.

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

Seldom drink rum straight, usually in a rum drink of some sort.

On the occasion that I'd have hard liquor, it'd be bourbon neat, or on rocks, or rarely a Manhattan up (thank's aunt Margaret).  

What is it about rum that should make me want to give it a try?  I don't think I've ever had a rum drink.

3 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

On the occasion that I'd have hard liquor, it'd be bourbon neat, or on rocks, or rarely a Manhattan up (thank's aunt Margaret).  

What is it about rum that should make me want to give it a try?  I don't think I've ever had a rum drink.

Like any hard liquor.., it can vary and have its own unique flavours and taste profiles.  But it has to be good rum.  Poor quality drank straight can be nasty.

Because of being made from sugar cane, it tends to be sweeter than a whiskey or scotch, and for some, thus a little more palatable.  I mostly drink it after a big meal as a digestif as opposed to an appertif.  A less harsh Calvados or Cognac kind of thing

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

32 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Like any hard liquor.., it can vary and have its own unique flavours and taste profiles.  But it has to be good rum.  Poor quality drank straight can be nasty.

Because of being made from sugar cane, it tends to be sweeter than a whiskey or scotch, and for some, thus a little more palatable.  I mostly drink it after a big meal as a digestif as opposed to an appertif.  A less harsh Calvados or Cognac kind of thing

What Z said.  Nice dark rums can be quite complex,  akin to a sweet bourbon

• Heart 1

I’m a supper. I like Seven Fathoms or Zaya. I learned of Seven Fathoms in the Caymans. They put their white rum in a whiskey cask, seal it in plastic wrap and submerge it 42 feet below the sea (hence the name) for a year. The wave undulations help the rum pull the whiskey flavor out of the barrels. 

2 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I am not much of a connoisseur. Myers Dark is my favorite.  Good Schitt!

Myers is actually a decent mixer.  My Dad was always a Lamb's Navy drinker so I gravitate to that for nostalgic reasons.  I like Captain Morgan's Reserve in Egg Nog.  My go to mixed is Mt Gay, Extra Old and Ginger.  Sipping Rum is Zacapa which I maintain, is the best sipping rum under $120. 

4 hours ago, donkpow said:

Molasses is made from sugarcane.

Yes, but rhum agricole is made from freshly squeezed sugar cane juice, where as rum can be made from any number of sugar sources, the preparation of which will change the flavor profile of the end product.  

1 hour ago, BuffJim said:

I was here last month, drinking the aforementioned Painkillers. But definitely not a rum expert. 

97B0F522-BE64-42D2-A706-2C28F544CBB2.jpeg

I have been to Pussers.Town looked a lot different 30 years ago. And also 20 years ago when i took WoScrapr there. She has a recipe  sheet somewhere. Lots of fun was had there

About the only time we drink rum is in the Caribbean. Then it's rum punch every day. Until we are sick of it. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, smudge said:

I don't do mixed drinks, but this is the one I like 

One shot Meyers rum.

Crushed ice

4 oz OJ

2 oz pineapple juice

One shot Captain Morgan

Splash of grenadine.

In that order. SUPER yum.

Rum Punch.  Might consider adding some Rose's Lime, or freshly squeezed lime juice.

13 hours ago, Zephyr said:

And for the money, (ie if you are cheap) Capt Morgan Private Stock is a surprisingly good sipping rum for the cost, routinely beating bottles twice it's price in blind taste tests

Capt Morgan, in the 1970s, was more paint thinner than booze.

Lethal hangovers, as bad as cheap tequila on dollar tequila night at a dive bar.

Now everybody is going yupscale with fancy labels and absurd prices.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

I've only had fresh, them was good :)

They are not hard to make. 1/2 oz fresh lime juice, 1 tsp confectioner's sugar, 3 - 4 mint leaves, 2 oz. wjhite rum, club soda.

Mix the lime juice and sugar, add the mint leaves and muddle, or crush with the back of a spoon.  Fill glass with crushed ice, add the rum and top with club soda.

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, groupw said:

I’m a supper. I like Seven Fathoms or Zaya. I learned of Seven Fathoms in the Caymans. They put their white rum in a whiskey cask, seal it in plastic wrap and submerge it 42 feet below the sea (hence the name) for a year. The wave undulations help the rum pull the whiskey flavor out of the barrels. 

Zaya is really good too, forgot about that one.  Ron Zacapa is too.  I have heard of the Seven Fathoms, a friend on the east coast had some and said it was great, but I cannot get it out here

You anti-rum people are wrong.  I have found that many things I was anti about end up being ok, and often I was against something based on a very limited sample size.

I hated scotch at one point, because my first scotch was horrible and cheap.  Same with whiskey, same with gin.  I learned to appreciate them all.  

I took to Zima right away, though.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Duckbag said:

You anti-rum people are wrong.  I have found that many things I was anti about end up being ok, and often I was against something based on a very limited sample size.

I hated scotch at one point, because my first scotch was horrible and cheap.  Same with whiskey, same with gin.  I learned to appreciate them all.  

I took to Zima right away, though.

cheap liquor of any ilk is really not good unless you are using it in some dolled up drink like a margarita or hurricane, where there is so much other crap that you never taste the liquor.

Good rum or tequila can be sipped and enjoyed straight, just like good Scotch, Bourbon or rum.  

I cannot truthfully say that I have ever had a Zima, but then again, that means I cannot deny having had one either, as I simply do not remember having or not having one.

21 minutes ago, jsharr said:

cheap liquor of any ilk is really not good unless you are using it in some dolled up drink like a margarita or hurricane, where there is so much other crap that you never taste the liquor.

Good rum or tequila can be sipped and enjoyed straight, just like good Scotch, Bourbon or rum.  

A long time ago when people in the US and A were first learning about cooking with wine, the prevailing sentiment was that you could use cheaper and crappier wine when cooking than you would normally drink on its own.  Then a smarter person or two came along and said "If you wouldn't drink the crap, why would you cook with it?".

I know it sounds uppity, but I believe the same is true about liquor, and that you can really taste the difference.  I hate Jack Daniels, and no way would I mix with it if I had a choice because the drinks end up tasting like crap.  Not that I am gonna mix PVW into a cocktail or anything, but you gotta have standards.  Buffalo Trace is a fine thing to mix drinks with, and can be enjoyed on its own in a pinch.  I am out of PVW currently.

• Heart 1