Please name your favorite "small brand" coffee

Kirby

I decided to do a coffee related gift for two relatives and their significant others.  I got them a small coffee bean grinder and I wanted to get them a couple fun, different coffees as well.  I have no idea what kind of coffee they like, so I'll go with a variety, but more at a medium or medium strong blend - nothing too extreme.

Since I don't drink coffee at all, I don't have any favorites.

So please name your favorite gift-y type coffees, preferably some interesting local brands.  Thanks!

...hi, Kirby.  You are in  luck, because I used to be a coffee snob.  That was back before I gave up caffeine. I even roasted my own in a hot air popcorn popper, from green beans I bought from the local roaster places here, of which there are many. California, as you might imagine, is filled with coffee snobs.

Most people react well to almost any of the various coffees grown and harvested in Hawaii.  Often they are called "100% Kona coffee", or "Kona blend."It doesn't matter who roasts them, as long as they don't urn the roasted beans.  But as soon as the beans are roasted, the clock starts ticking on the volatile oils (that make up the coffee beverage besides water) starting to go a little "off" tasting from oxidation.  Thus we get various forms of vaccuum packed coffee beans, etc. Kona coffee beans yield a nice full flavor without a lot of acid bite.

Anyway, that's about all I can tell you.  There are some much more exotic coffees available here, that are grown on various coffee plantations in Central American countries. Not sure you could buy them easily there. And there's always the insanely expensive stuff that is first consumed by civet cats, who then pooped out the beans.  Personally, I'm not drinking anything that came out of a cat's ass.

• Heart 2

I love Peet's Major Dickason's Blend.  On coffee review sites, it's rated just a little under the elite "Geisha" and "Ethiopian," etc. beans.

It's available in 1 lb, freshly roasted bags, whole bean or ground, for something like $16.99 plus shipping from peets.com or in 10.5 oz bags. whole bean or ground, in Walmart for around $7.

I also love Peet's Arabian Mocha-Java Blend, something like $18.99/lb plus shipping, whole bean or ground, from peets.com.

At coffeereview.com, 94-96 is the score awarded to elite coffees. Pretty decent but not great coffees like Eight O'Clock Columbian score around 68. Here's the MDB review:

image.thumb.png.9a888f5efb1b9c168c293a55dac70d7f.png

• Heart 1

• 2 months later...

I talked to my niece and nephew who got the coffee grinders and a selection of coffee beans from the shops in the thread and they were a huge hit!  My nephew mentioned wanting to order more from a number of the stores and it was the main gift my niece mentioned.   I told them that the suggestions came from my cycling friends.  Thanks for all the suggestions, it made for a unique and enjoyable gift!

• Awesome 3

3 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I talked to my niece and nephew who got the coffee grinders and a selection of coffee beans from the shops in the thread and they were a huge hit!  My nephew mentioned wanting to order more from a number of the stores and it was the main gift my niece mentioned.   I told them that the suggestions came from my cycling friends.  Thanks for all the suggestions, it made for a unique and enjoyable gift!

Yeah, always good when you make people smile. 

• Hugs 1