Ok, nazis can we get rid of the pinned topic already?

Randomguy

8 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

You know, I dig that people are doing a different thing and are excited about it, but to pin it for fucking ever is just dumb. 
I can follow along as it gets bumped up as people add to it.  

Seems fair.  As a corollary can we take some topics and push them to the bottom of the stack instanter.

10 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Seems fair.  As a corollary can we take some topics and push them to the bottom of the stack instanter.

But unpinned topics fall off quickly if there is no interest or responses, and they bump up if people are participating often.  

Like I said, it is a fine pursuit, but no need to pin a pet topic. 

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Wtf?  I don’t want to see the same topic at the top every time I come on.  

If the topic has merit it will stay in view on its own, please remove the pin already.  I don’t want to be part of your affirmative action post.  

Nazi.gif.c3462bbfe9018dfc1affe28d7d51e105.gif

• Heart 1

23 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Wtf?  I don’t want to see the same topic at the top every time I come on.  

If the topic has merit it will stay in view on its own, please remove the pin already.  I don’t want to be part of your affirmative action post.  

There's a topic at the top?

I just skim down until I see a topic I haven't read yet.

18 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

no

We made the determination that only lemmings don't do squats.  Please try to keep up.

So, the squat folks are just lazy and/or have short attention spans?  RG is willing to let his topics live or die by their own merits, but some folks need a LOT of help with theirs?

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So, the squat folks are just lazy and/or have short attention spans?  RG is willing to let his topics live or die by their own merits, but some folks need a LOT of help with theirs?

Here's a quarter.  Go call someone that gives a crap.

You know, all it would take for the post to remain in view is for people to add to it, rather than be all lazy and say "Oh, it will be too much effort to actually have it's own merit take it to the top when we can go all affirmative action on a post that should be able to be up there if it survived on its own merit.

News flash for the hard of understanding - you aren't drawing people in to your little crossfit aspirational post who didn't want to do it at the start.  If there was anything to merit initial pinning, it is well gone now.  Everybody who knew about and wanted to do knew you were starting at the beginning of the month.  Anybody who gave a fuck was in, and everybody else has to see the lame pet post up there every time.  Why not just add to it if you are concerned it'll drop off?

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

And you actually have the best argument!

As I said in a previous post, if you are wondering if a post should be pinned briefly, simply ask yourself:

• Is this crucial information?  90+% of the time, pinned posts are not crucial.
  • Is the post critical for sporadic members to see?  
  • Is it timely for a majority of posters?
  • Is this something needed to catch people up on?  Serious illness or major event for past members of this and LF, and maybe even for the misguided people from bikeforums.suckass? 
  • Change of forum policy by SW?

I am sure there are other criteria to look for that I am too tired to remember or recognize right now.

So let's take a look at the current pinned topic.

Is the pinning crucial?  No, not really, seems like a cross-fitty cult thing that is primarily unsustainable. 

Critical for sporadic posters/lurkers?  No, they are sporadic, and sporadic folks most probably are not interested in something like this.

Timely?  This may be timely, as the month just started, but do we have a declaration of "challenge accepted" by the majority or even a critical mass?  I don't think we do..

Life event of current or past forum peeps?  No.

Change of policy?  No.

I don't want to rain on the squatter's parade, because I do feel it is a noble pursuit (however unsustainable I feel it is).  It may have a fringe qualification on the INITIAL timeliness of it, but even if it is pinned for the few that are doing it, it should have an extremely brief life as a pinned topic.  That time is long gone.

If some people are into it and stick with it, what is to stop people from bumping it up as they keep up with it?  It is cool to hear about progress and all, but that hardly merits a pinned topic.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

As I said in a previous post, if you are wondering if a post should be pinned briefly, simply ask yourself:

• Is this crucial information?  90+% of the time, pinned posts are not crucial.
  • Is the post critical for sporadic members to see?  
  • Is it timely for a majority of posters?
  • Is this something needed to catch people up on?  Serious illness or major event for past members of this and LF, and maybe even for the misguided people from bikeforums.suckass? 
  • Change of forum policy by SW?

I am sure there are other criteria to look for that I am too tired to remember or recognize right now.

So let's take a look at the current pinned topic.

Is the pinning crucial?  No, not really, seems like a cross-fitty cult thing that is primarily unsustainable. 

Critical for sporadic posters/lurkers?  No, they are sporadic, and sporadic folks most probably are not interested in something like this.

Timely?  This may be timely, as the month just started, but do we have a declaration of "challenge accepted" by the majority or even a critical mass?  I don't think we do..

Life event of current or past forum peeps?  No.

Change of policy?  No.

I don't want to rain on the squatter's parade, because I do feel it is a noble pursuit (however unsustainable I feel it is).  It may have a fringe qualification on the INITIAL timeliness of it, but even if it is pinned for the few that are doing it, it should have an extremely brief life as a pinned topic.  That time is long gone.

If some people are into it and stick with it, what is to stop people from bumping it up as they keep up with it?  It is cool to hear about progress and all, but that hardly merits a pinned topic.

Wow - that's a lot of writing on what should be pretty cut and dry!

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I demand we pin this post, plus the other posts on pinning topics including future posts.  In fact, we should just pin placeholders right now, maybe seven or eight of them.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?  HELL NO!!! Keep up the good fight.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1