Help me decide the next car

ChrisL

I’m thinking of unloading the Subie next year and am torn on what my next car should be.  I’m looking to keep it under $40K and will probably buy a newer used car. 

I’m torn between utility (SUV & Truck) for bike hauling, fishing & such and fun to drive.  Reliability is paramount to me and I refuse to drive a car with a dog engine. It’s gotta move when I want it to. Fuel economy is less of a concern to me. 

The cars I’m considering at this point are:

Utility:

2017-19 Subaru Outback with the 3.6 liter 6 which comes higher trims.  

2020 + Subaru Outback with the 2.4 Turbo which comes in the higher trim

Chevy Colorado Truck with the V6

Fun:

Lexus IS 350 FSport (I really like this car & have driven one already. I also have the Lexus hook up with my daughters FIL)

Mazda 3 turbo (at my budget can get new with $$ to spare) 

Cadillac CTSV & CT5V (some deals pushing upper limit of my budget, might have to get an older car with higher miles). 

Chevy SS - hard to find used in my area but I like them. 

I have driven a Camaro and don’t really like the styling. Not sure about the Dodge products like the Charger & Challenger but would consider.  Not sure I want a Mustang either but maybe I could be persuaded. 

Thoughts?

9 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I have little use for turbo's for daily driving.  Even with accumulators to manage the oil flow post shutdown they are a pain in the ass.

Yeah I’m less inclined to get a turbo but won’t completely rule it out. 

31 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

2020 + Subaru Outback with the 2.4 Turbo which comes in the higher trim

This would be my pick from your list.

My 2010 Subaru Forester still works but it's showing it age compared to new cars.  I like the automated braking (if I don't pay attention, etc...) the newer Subaru's have. 

24 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

This would be my pick from your list.

My 2010 Subaru Forester still works but it's showing it age compared to new cars.  I like the automated braking (if I don't pay attention, etc...) the newer Subaru's have. 

I like the Forrester, just not the 2.5 liter 4 that comes in it.  Same with the Outback with that engine.  But I do like all of the safety features. 

How about fun utility? Mazda CX-5 or CX30. Our 2013 CX5 is not our Miata, or even our Mazda6 for handling, but there is a certain "ZoomZoom" factor to the drive. 

I drove a Camaro convertible when I was out in CA. My daughter's BF had a previous gen Mustang GT. Both looked good and power in a straight line was fun. But I could feel EVERY pound of those cars in a corner. The Camaro was terribly impractical. A full size suitcase wouldn't fit in the trunk and could only be placed in the back seat if the top was down! Never tried that in the Mustang. I grew up loving Mopar muscle cars. The Challenger has the look, but around here there are too many Joe Dirt owners of them. Wouldn't want to be associated with them. 

10 minutes ago, groupw said:

How about fun utility? Mazda CX-5 or CX30. Our 2013 CX5 is not our Miata, or even our Mazda6 for handling, but there is a certain "ZoomZoom" factor to the drive. 

I drove a Camaro convertible when I was out in CA. My daughter's BF had a previous gen Mustang GT. Both looked good and power in a straight line was fun. But I could feel EVERY pound of those cars in a corner. The Camaro was terribly impractical. A full size suitcase wouldn't fit in the trunk and could only be placed in the back seat if the top was down! Never tried that in the Mustang. I grew up loving Mopar muscle cars. The Challenger has the look, but around here there are too many Joe Dirt owners of them. Wouldn't want to be associated with them. 

I actually forgot about the CX5… I test drove one once too when my wife was shopping cars.  Thanks, adding it on the list.

9 minutes ago, Further said:

First you gotta decide if you want a truck or a car 

Kinda sounds like you want a car, a fast car.   :party:

Part of me wants utility. Most of me wants zoom zoom! 

The Outback’s with the 3.6 are kinda a happy medium but honestly I don’t care for the looks of them. 

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Utility:

Chevy Colorado Truck with the V6

Fun:

Chevy SS - hard to find used in my area but I like them. 

Those would be my choices. The SS would be kick ass, I'd like to have on. FYI, I hear the next gen Colorado (model year 2023 I believe) will sadly only have a 4-banger. So if you want the six, buy this generation. I like the current Coloado but find the seats not too comfy...definitely not as comfy as my Trailblazer...the real one, not the POS current model :D I'm kinda eyeing up the Grand Cherokee for my next, but not sure yet.

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Those would be my choices. The SS would be kick ass, I'd like to have on. FYI, I hear the next gen Colorado (model year 2023 I believe) will sadly only have a 4-banger. So if you want the six, buy this generation. I like the current Coloado but find the seats not too comfy...definitely not as comfy as my Trailblazer...the real one, not the POS current model :D I'm kinda eyeing up the Grand Cherokee for my next, but not sure yet.

Jeep products scare me, I heard too many horror stories but my brother has been happy with his Wrangler…

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, Allen said:

Look at the Mazda CX-30 turbo. Still in your budget new. It’s on my shortlist for next car. 
There is a significant horsepower difference between the turbo and non turbo.  Handling is supposed to be quite good too. 

Yeah maybe lump that one in with the Mazda 3 turbo as they are essentially the same car, ones just a bit higher off the ground.  I do like Mazda and will give them greater consideration.  

• Heart 2

24 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I always say Honda Accord. :D

I have a hard time finding Honda products in my price point with the features I want and low miles.  Same with the Toyota Tacoma truck & 4 Runner.  Not a lot of options in my price point. 

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

F 150.  

I’m really not looking full size trucks as fitting in the garage is a requirement for me. I live in a townhouse community so parking in the street is a major PITA. But they do check many of the boxes. 

• Heart 1