Got the project car home

KrAzY

3 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

Nice, Are you doing this one for me so I can take it to the big car shows at The Essenhaus in Middlebury, IN?  IF you don't give it to me you could drive it up here and we could go together.  Thursday evening cruise in is summer fun.

Top speed is about 60mph. See you in 6 weeks😂

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

And you already have a suit to go with the car

Well duh.. main reason I bought this one

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Airehead said:

Cool car

Thanks. Now I got to get the battery for in in a couple hours and hopefully it starts right up and I can pull it in the garage.. if not.. I’m gonna die trying to push it in.. 😂

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Where'd the school bus go? Wasn't that parked on the new section of driveway?

Here was the deal.. called about 3 people selling busses, no calls back and tried multiple times. 
tried calling 8 people for set vans to turn into a camper.. no calls back or two people were already having others in a bidding war.. I don’t play games like that. 
Talked the wife into letting me and the kids build a ray rod. Started looking at cars to tear apart and build a slamming street rod out of. 
i happened to find this one and it ran a year or so ago so I took a chance on picking it up and will be fully restoring it to the day it came off the line. I’m talking keeping as much of the wood flooring, and as many of the original tack nails. Oh yes.. it will have corduroy interior just like it did back in the day. 
I will be talk of the town as I cruise around at the max speed of 50mph pissing off everyone that has a lot more than 30hp. 

• Heart 2

12 hours ago, KrAzY said:

Here was the deal.. called about 3 people selling busses, no calls back and tried multiple times. 
tried calling 8 people for set vans to turn into a camper.. no calls back or two people were already having others in a bidding war.. I don’t play games like that. 
Talked the wife into letting me and the kids build a ray rod. Started looking at cars to tear apart and build a slamming street rod out of. 
i happened to find this one and it ran a year or so ago so I took a chance on picking it up and will be fully restoring it to the day it came off the line. I’m talking keeping as much of the wood flooring, and as many of the original tack nails. Oh yes.. it will have corduroy interior just like it did back in the day. 
I will be talk of the town as I cruise around at the max speed of 50mph pissing off everyone that has a lot more than 30hp. 

Wow.  I guess like Sprinter vans, older busses are in demand and hard to source.

I could have directed you to one for sale up in Kansas that my co-worker's daughter bought last year but never actually did anything with.  She soured on the project this year when she realized the work involved.

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Wow.  I guess like Sprinter vans, older busses are in demand and hard to source.

I could have directed you to one for sale up in Kansas that my co-worker's daughter bought last year but never actually did anything with.  She soured on the project this year when she realized the work involved.

I’ll give her the address to drop it off at, I’ll pay for the gas to get it here, but nothing else😂

6 hours ago, 12string said:

Dude, seriously?  There's tape holding the headlights together!  Who knows what other hidden problems might need fixing on that car?  I can't believe you didn't notice that before you bought it!

I put it on there to make sure the glass didn’t fall out on the way home 

5 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Is it done yet?

Almost.. just a few more min and it will be finished. 

• Haha 1

On 8/24/2021 at 9:37 PM, Further said:

Keep a thread going on your progress. I'm sure interested. 

Did you try to start it yet ?

Please pump some fresh oil through it before putting the plugs in   :popcorn:

I am siphoning the gas out, flushing the radiator, and changing the oil before I get it running for more then a min. 
I tried cranking it cranking it just for fun for a second. 
Starting it is like trying to working a ouija board, Rubik’s cube, and playing a video game all at the same time. 

first ya have to turn on the file line, turn on the battery, pull out the choke, flip the switch under the dash,, leave the retarder closed, open the excelerator, and then you can step on the starter button on the floor, or you can get out of the car and use the hand crank.  
oh…. The keys don’t do anything except unlock the stealing wheel.. that was the anti-theft device back in the day.. basically you don’t need the keys at all. 

here is some fun reading

417CDD3A-DFFC-4E4E-9230-8BD26D3CE9B0.jpeg

D5C735AE-6793-487F-8032-257A43BC16CD.jpeg

31 minutes ago, donkpow said:

It wasn't unusual at the time for most gasoline powered things to have manual spark control. You had to know things in order to do things. :)

I definitely knew and and really understand that now.. you should seen the contortionist act to try and get my old farm tractor started. 

this is my third antique vehicle, and definitely the oldest by far. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, donkpow said:

It wasn't unusual at the time for most gasoline powered things to have manual spark control. You had to know things in order to do things. :)

My old Harley trikes had a spark advance on the left handgrip. It was just like the throttle. Advance it when you are trying to start it and the kick start will kick you right back.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

So how much did you buy it for, and how much will you have to put into it to make it your DD?

I paid 5.5k for the car, figure I will put more hours into working on it than what I pay. 
never know the true number til I’m finished, but could be about 6k or so. 
I got a an insurance company I pay $200 a year for full coverage and theft. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, KrAzY said:

I paid 5.5k for the car, figure I will put more hours into working on it than what I pay. 
never know the true number til I’m finished, but could be about 6k or so. 
I got a an insurance company I pay $200 a year for full coverage and theft. 

I wanted to know but didn’t want to ask. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal. I paid that much for my bike but the resale value of my bike probably won’t even be half of that after I croak. Maybe my son will keep it and ride it?

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

I wanted to know but didn’t want to ask. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal. I paid that much for my bike but the resale value of my bike probably won’t even be half of that after I croak. Maybe my son will keep it and ride it?

I think it was a good deal. I’m in a lucky spot with this project. I am capable of doing all the work on it myself except for the leather roof. I’m sure I’ll figure that out when it’s time. 
I learnt how to be a wrench monkey at a young age from my grandfather. Taught me how to build carburetors when I was about 10.

hope your kid rides the bike, be a shame for it to sit and not be used. Just like I hope I can get my kid to be a grease monkey like me. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

Is he tall enough?

He is I think 6’ 2”. If he lowers the seat I think it will work. He might have a problem with the stand over height but you don’t have to stand over your bike. My second bike as a kid was a hand me down three speed English bike. I couldn’t stand over the bike for a couple years until I grew into it. It never stopped me from riding it.

8 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

He is I think 6’ 2”. If he lowers the seat I think it will work. He might have a problem with the stand over height but you don’t have to stand over your bike. My second bike as a kid was a hand me down three speed English bike. I couldn’t stand over the bike for a couple years until I grew into it. It never stopped me from riding it.

For bikes that are too big, you can just lean them over more to get on them.

• Awesome 1

18 hours ago, KrAzY said:

here is some fun reading

That was interesting.  

Hmmm by page 11 you get to work on starting the motor.  What happened to the 120 pages of warnings about what stupid things you can't do???

They mention the hand throttle can help with long trips at constant speed.  The first cruise control.  :)

No synchronizers in the transmission.  Don't clash those gears....   ;)  You get to double clutch, or just practice a lot and single clutch. 

Manual spark advance...  I'll guess you have time to use it.   

The Series AB was powered by Chevrolet's old 171 cu in (2,800 cc) four-cylinder engine, but with minor modifications to produce 35 hp (26 kW) at 2,200 rpm.  No rev limiter at 8000 rpm like WoBG's Prelude.  :D 

Good luck... have fun... 

• Heart 1

19 hours ago, Randomguy said:

It sounds way cheaper than what I thought, I thought replacement parts would be scarce and end up costing $20K, plus hundreds of hours getting everything exact to showroom standards.  I am excited to see the progress!

I’m lucky to have a good majority of the tools already for old vehicles. Most are all hand me downs from that era. 
also with the car being 80%+ wood interior, I’m good at crafting what I need to by hand. That’s where the real work needs to be done. 
WoK wants me to YouTube it, and my youngest will do the editing for it.. not really sure how that’s all going to go, but should be more interesting then the vehicle 😂

11 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Sounds like you'd better do it right, or you'll void the manufacturer's warranty!

Crap.. can’t have that.. also in the book it gave the number to call to order parts.. number didn’t work, so I called the Chevy dealership and let’s say this guy did not find me funny yesterday.. basically he wanted to hang up, but was also enjoying it.. 

I gave him numbers for the parts, and at first he said they didn’t have anything with that number in the computer, I told him to check the filing cabinet. He asked for the vin of the vehicle.. I told him it was 11053436. 
he said it starts with a letter.. I said it didn’t.. 

more confused he asked year make and model.. at that point he got concerned with my mental health I think.. 😂

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

They mention the hand throttle can help with long trips at constant speed.

This type of thing was an important after market mod when I was growing up. The lever was replaced by something that looked like a choke knob on the dash. Pull the knob to go faster. If it slipped on you, you could just tighten up the adjusting nut.