How old are you now?

Randomguy

I actually had a boss who looked vaguely like Fabio except his hair was grey and spoke French in addition to English. He was an engineer from Quebec.  

When he was lst hired ..at a major construction engineering site, some of guys kidded him.  He was good about it.  

Honest, he was a well-respected engineering manager...probably because his bilingual fluency and low-key management style, made him more "international" when managing German, Filipino and American ex-pat employees.

5 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I really don't like to tell people on the web how old I am.  It seems you are treated differently, and not in a good way.  :(

Yes, probably true.  But in the end, I don't care.  

Who will I ever meet from this current forum? Even meeting 1-2 people would be a miracle.  And I'm not asking for it.  They can know more about how I think, see what I consider important via my blog. What I say here is to me, pretty fragmented and not well-rounded. 

4 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Yes, probably true.  But in the end, I don't care

Well, I don't really care either, except that we do have personal ongoing relationships here, even though it's not face to face, and I just don't like the feeling that I am taken less seriously because I am 70 than I would be if I was 35.  :angry:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

Well, I don't really care either, except that we do have personal ongoing relationships here, even though it's not face to face, and I just don't like the feeling that I am taken less seriously because I am 70 than I would be if I was 35.  :angry:

I would not take you any less seriously at 70 than 35.  Cross my heart.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I don't sense that in this forum. But then again I'm not here for huge hunks during the week because I'm at work or doing something else in life.

In some social circles face to face, I know some women don't think I've lived a fuller life because I don't have any children (and I made this choice which is the correct one for me. No regrets.).  Now that, for sure, I don't waste time ever worrying about what others think.  But for some women it really and sadly, gnaws away on their self-respect and happiness.  They allow other people's opinions to dig into them.

Yea sure I'm not a daring mountain biker nor sassy cycling chick or whatever. I'm not a cool, sexy chick cycling mascot here.  That's not me anyway in real life. Cycling looks visibly like a big part of me because I bike as part of my lifestyle.   But it isn't..not really. There are other things quite important to me, which probably some people sense here, but don't completely understand.  That's ok too.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

With years comes wisdom...             

• Heart 1

I've been on a number of forums over the years.  The only thing I can say is that I sense my opinions receive less weight from some people when they find out that I am not young or even middle aged.  Some people assume because you are in your 60's and 70's, you are approaching doddering old fool status.  Shooting Star even said in her reply, when she found out I was 70, that she would never have guessed it.  What does that tell you about how people of age are perceived?

There is a thing called ageism.  From my experience, it is real.  Subtle at times, but real, nonetheless.

• Heart 1

I'm 62, I've been told I don't look it.

I hope I don't act it.

But I sure as hell don't feel like I'm 40, or even 50.

The scary thing about age is running out of time, and losing ability, I can out perform the majority of the young kids at work, but I'm nowhere near the young me. And even the fat shit kids can recover from an injury way faster than me,

Hopefully I've learned my limits, the ways to get things done without getting hurt, and what is worth spending time on.

But I have some doubts.....

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Further said:

I'm 62, I've been told I don't look it.

I hope I don't act it.

But I sure as hell don't feel like I'm 40, or even 50.

The scary thing about age is running out of time, and losing ability, I can out perform the majority of the young kids at work, but I'm nowhere near the young me. And even the fat shit kids can recover from an injury way faster than me,

Hopefully I've learned my limits, the ways to get things done without getting hurt, and what is worth spending time on.

But I have some doubts.....

Very well said.  My thoughts as well. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I've been on a number of forums over the years.  The only thing I can say is that I sense my opinions receive less weight from some people when they find out that I am not young or even middle aged.  Some people assume because you are in your 60's and 70's, you are approaching doddering old fool status.  Shooting Star even said in her reply, when she found out I was 70, that she would never have guessed it.  What does that tell you about how people of age are perceived?

There is a thing called ageism.  From my experience, it is real.  Subtle at times, but real, nonetheless.

Hmm, as I age, I feel more wise.  I have a lot to offer the younger crowd at work in experience and wisdom.  I look to you for the same.

• Heart 1

I'm 24,681 days old. I'll hit 25,000 next March!

That will be half a year after I turn 68 years-old on October 1.

Yes, I was born an anti-communist on the first anniversary of the communist takeover of China.

If I technically wasn't an anti-communist at birth, I was by age 5 when we'd sit on the floor with our backs to the walls in our school hallways during nuclear air-raid drills, sticking our heads between our legs. The joke was: we had to do that so we could kiss out butts goodbye!

• Heart 2

7 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I'm 24,681 days old. I'll hit 25,000 next March!

That will be half a year after I turn 68 years-old on October 1.

Yes, I was born an anti-communist on the first anniversary of the communist takeover of China.

If I technically wasn't an anti-communist at birth, I was by age 5 when we'd sit on the floor with our backs to the walls in our school hallways during nuclear air-raid drills, sticking our heads between our legs. The joke was: we had to do that so we could kiss out butts goodbye!

Ha!Ha! I remember those drills.

• Heart 1