Thoughts on wearing masks

ChrisL

So being one of about 10 essential employees at work it was “strongly recommended” we wear masks at work yesterday.  Being the Sr person on property I pulled the team together (in a large conf room with social distancing) left out a box of masks and advised of the recommendation.  I told them it’s not mandatory but a good idea to protect others should you contract it and are not symptomatic.   These are not N95 masks.

To a person they all said I don’t want to wear it if I don’t have to.  I told them I feel the same, I’d rather not wear it.  I told them that’s fine but take some masks in the event the suggestion becomes a requirement.  

Just curious, given the same situation would you wear one?  Are you wearing one now while out & about?

Probably. I only have the one mask so I'm not wearing any. I am wearing gloves everywhere except home and to work outside. Home Depot donated all their painter's masks, etc. to first responders, local health care workers, and other service providers.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

So being one of about 10 essential employees at work it was “strongly recommended” we wear masks at work yesterday.  Being the Sr person on property I pulled the team together (in a large conf room with social distancing) left out a box of masks and advised of the recommendation.  I told them it’s not mandatory but a good idea to protect others should you contract it and are not symptomatic.   These are not N95 masks.

To a person they all said I don’t want to wear it if I don’t have to.  I told them I feel the same, I’d rather not wear it.  I told them that’s fine but take some masks in the event the suggestion becomes a requirement.  

Just curious, given the same situation would you wear one?  Are you wearing one now while out & about?

Being the senior person onsite, were you wearing one when you made the recommendation?

I haven't gone out since the CDC began to waffle on the mask wearing.  I believe though that they are changing requirements because there is some small percentage of extra safety by wearing one.  Most non medical masks however don't really seal the air intake so what you are breathing is coming in from the sides.  

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

I haven't gone out since the CDC began to waffle on the mask wearing.  I believe though that they are changing requirements because there is some small percentage of extra safety by wearing one.  Most non medical masks however don't really seal the air intake so what you are breathing is coming in from the sides.  

It appears wearing non N95 masks protects others from you, not you from others.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

The reason you wear a mask is to keep from infecting yourself.  I have watched a video, posted here, by a Dr. at Johns Hopkins that you catch this by touching something or someone that has corona virus on it and then touching your face and getting in your eyes, nose or mouthg.

So if you are around others and one of them has it and the mask keeps you from infecting yourself, yeah, I would wear the mask.

It is not about the areosolized virus, but active virus on hard surfaces you might touch.

Wash hands, sanitize, wear a mask if out around lots of people.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

The reason you wear a mask is to keep from infecting yourself.  I have watched a video, posted here, by a Dr. at Johns Hopkins that you catch this by touching something or someone that has corona virus on it and then touching your face and getting in your eyes, nose or mouthg.

So if you are around others and one of them has it and the mask keeps you from infecting yourself, yeah, I would wear the mask.

It is not about the areosolized virus, but active virus on hard surfaces you might touch.

Wash hands, sanitize, wear a mask if out around lots of people.

I was wrong on where the doc worked, but here is the video from someone down in the trenches

8 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I suppose it suppresses cough clouds.  That's one positive.  They are de rigueur in China and some other Asian nations.  I've heard that's mostly for the same reason, to protect others.

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I suppose it suppresses cough clouds.  That's one positive.  They are de rigueur in China and some other Asian nations.  I've heard that's mostly for the same reason, to protect others.

Some expert or another says it helps people keep their hands off their face.

I was given a mask by my doctor's office - not N95.  Considering it's supposed to be protective for up to 10 minutes when it's dry when put on and I may not be in stores much longer than that, I'm considering wearing it if I just need a couple things in a store, not putting it on until I get out of the car and taking it back off as soon as I return.

BUT...it's the kind with elastic that goes around each ear and then you adjust it over your nose and mouth.  If it shifts a little, my glasses get fogged up when I exhale and that means I'd have to keep moving my hands to my face.  Even if I rub my hands with Purell before going into the store, I don't like that idea.

So, I'm going to practice with the mask. If I'm not satisfied with it, I probably won't wear it.

22 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

WRONG!  Surgical mask provide a small amount of protection against others with the virus, certainly more than wearing no mask.

What is with all these all or nothing stories?  

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Well now that we have established that, would you wear one?  I take it you would have done things differently had you been in my position?

I am not wearing a mask outside the house but am considering it.  If I wanted my employees to start wearing masks, I would have had one on during the meeting.  If I was just going through the motions I would not have had one on.

With my years of mask wearing.. I say if it makes you feel better, then go for it.. the ones I have are for all size particles, but what micro or nano particle will get through the ones you buy.. not sure. 

just do me a favor and don’t go to the grocery store looking like this.. if you do one of the people like me will take your pic. 

D789363C-6BEA-4133-A3FF-128A2D2B3E2A.jpeg

1 minute ago, KrAzY said:

With my years of mask wearing.. I say if it makes you feel better, then go for it.. the ones I have are for all size particles, but what micro or nano particle will get through the ones you buy.. not sure. 

just do me a favor and don’t go to the grocery store looking like this.. if you do one of the people like me will take your pic. 

D789363C-6BEA-4133-A3FF-128A2D2B3E2A.jpeg

Outside of the yellow suit, that is what everyone does here.  Gloves are optional.

1 minute ago, Bikeguy said:

Right about now, I'll guess the only thing more difficult to find, other than TP, would be a N95 mask.  

So I can't wear a mask, I don't have any.  I guess I'll need to look online... 

You can buy masks and gloves in any bodega in NYC right now.  TP seems broadly available, too, but  I think it gets stocked then sold out quickly, but is quickly restocked.

15 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

WRONG!  Aerosolized virus certainly spreads the disease as well.

All this fake news has to stop, people, no matter how well-meaning.

Most studies show that it has to be in very certain conditions to be aersolized.    What I said is not fake, it is what I believe to be best practices for most people leading a normal life.  

Droplet contact is different and a mask would protect from droplet contact and from contact with infected surface and then touching ones face.

This is all from reading,  I am not a dr. or a scientist and I have not stayed in a holidy inn express

Hear is what the WHO has to say.

https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/modes-of-transmission-of-virus-causing-covid-19-implications-for-ipc-precaution-recommendations

56 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

That is generally the line everywhere.  It's a good idea if a person doesn't feel well, but not sure what their sickness is yet, to wear mask.   It might help people from touching their nose, mouth too often.

The problem is that the misuse is touching with your hand around the mask or taking it off and on....you've already contaminated it..(even it's no virus).  This is what I hear from several sisters who work in hospitals.  Only my doc-sis wears a N-95.  The others are required to wear 1 step down --all day.

22 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

WRONG!  Aerosolized virus certainly spreads the disease as well.

All this fake news has to stop, people, no matter how well-meaning.

It must be the end of days when RG is the voice of reason! :hapydance:

Yes, I am wearing a mask at work. I haven’t when I go grocery shopping, but I haven’t been in a store with more than about 10 people in it, so social distancing wasn’t an issue. I don’t wear gloves, but Purell often while shopping and immediately upon putting groceries in my car.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Tell those employees, they are lucky to even have a mask!  Even the surgical masks are very tough to get now.  the hospitals are scrounging around across North America...!!!!!

47 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I was on a webex and the Dr who spoke indicated that in many Asian countries it’s considered rude not to wear one as you are not looking out for the welfare of others.

Masks work both ways.  They help protect the infected and the non-infected.  Most surgical style masks available to the public offer the equivalent of N-50.  Actual surgical masks are higher.  Personal protective equipment is to protect your person. 

They don't want uninfected wearing them and gloves because the public isn't trained in protocols of using them.  You have to be aware of the shortcomings of the equipment.  Just removing gloves is an easy way to spread bacteria. 

I am of the opinion that some protection is better than no protection.   So, I wear a mask but not gloves.  I do wash my hands frequently and certainly after a shopping trip as soon as I get home. Then after I dispose of the bags and again while I wash the fresh produce.  

I am hoping this virus will install the importance of hand washing in the public.  Especially before they leave a restroom. 

So, wash your hands and wear a mask or at least remember Wilbur will be saying "I told you" as you lie in bed on a ventilator.  :) 

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Most studies show that it has to be in very certain conditions to be aersolized.    What I said is not fake, it is what I believe to be best practices for most people leading a normal life.  

Droplet contact is different and a mask would protect from droplet contact and from contact with infected surface and then touching ones face.

This is all from reading,  I am not a dr. or a scientist and I have not stayed in a holidy inn express

https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/modes-of-transmission-of-virus-causing-covid-19-implications-for-ipc-precaution-recommendations

I have been thinking about this for a few weeks when I first heard experts saying it can hang in the air.  Since then, there have been the stories of people catching it this way, most prominently the choir where the 45 out the 60 participating in the practice got it, and the articles the last couple of days adding to the case for mask-wearing.  This is from an article today saying that just breathing can infect others.

Experts tell White House coronavirus can spread through talking or even just breathing

Elizabeth Cohen-Profile-Image

By Elizabeth Cohen, Senior Medical Correspondent

Updated 11:16 AM ET, Thu April 2, 2020

"(CNN)A prestigious scientific panel told the White House Wednesday night that research shows coronavirus can be spread not just by sneezes or coughs, but also just by talking, or possibly even just breathing.

"While the current [coronavirus] specific research is limited, the results of available studies are consistent with aerosolization of virus from normal breathing," according to the letter, written by Dr. Harvey Fineberg, chairman of a committee with the National Academy of Sciences.

Fineberg told CNN that he will wear start wearing a mask when he goes to the grocery store.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, a key member of the White House's coronavirus task force, told CNN Tuesday that the idea of recommending broad use of masks in the US to prevent the spread of coronavirus is under "very active discussion" by the group.

Fineberg, chair of the NAS' Standing Committee on Emerging Infectious Diseases and 21st Century Health Threats, said his letter was sent Wednesday evening in response to a query from Kelvin Droegemeier with the Office of Science and Technology Policy at the White House.

"This letter responds to your question concerning the possibility that [coronavirus] could be spread by conversation, in addition to sneeze/cough-induced droplets," the letter states. "Currently available research supports the possibility that [coronavirus] could be spread via bioaerosols generated directly by patients' exhalation," it continues.

Fineberg told CNN this is true, but that research shows that aerosolized droplets produced by talking or possibly even by just breathing can also spread the virus.

His letter explains that research at a hospital in China shows the virus can be suspended in the air when doctors and nurses remove protective gear, or when floors are cleaned, or when staff move around.

Research by the University of Nebraska shows that genetic material from the virus was found in patients' rooms more than 6 feet away from the patients, according to the letter.

51 minutes ago, jsharr said:

They didn't mention singing did they?

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

WRONG!  Surgical mask provide a small amount of protection against others with the virus, certainly more than wearing no mask.

What is with all these all or nothing stories?  

OK jeeze I stand corrected.  According to RG who slept at a Holiday Inn Express they can offer a small modicum of protection... Assuming you practice hand sanitation and don’t touch your face.  

There better or is it still WRONG!!!

Just now, ChrisL said:

OK jeeze I stand corrected.  According to RG who slept at a Holiday Inn Express they can offer a small modicum of protection... Assuming you practice hand sanitation and don’t touch your face.  

The internet givith but it also takith away.  

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Someone standing in front of you sneezes right at you.  Are you better off wearing the mask, or would you just say "Nah, the experts say masks don't help"?

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Someone standing in front of you sneezes right at you.  Are you better off with the mask, or would you just say "Nah, the experts say masks don't help"?

Given that scenario I don’t think it matters.  He aerosoled the shit all over the uncovered part of my face, in my eyes, hair, clothes and through the sides of my mask.  

Is wearing one better than not wearing one, sure I’ll agree to that.  

FTR if back in the day you came at me with a WRONG! You would be in the freaking lock up after a stint in the hospital.  I’d probably lose my job but it would have been worth it to put the beat down on you.

23 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Given that scenario I don’t think it matters.  He aerosoled the shit all over the uncovered part of my face, in my eyes, hair, clothes and through the sides of my mask.  

Is wearing one better than not wearing one, sure I’ll agree to that.  

FTR if back in the day you came at me with a WRONG! You would be in the freaking lock up after a stint in the hospital.  I’d probably lose my job but it would have been worth it to put the beat down on you.

WRONG!  Getting a new job is always full of suckage.  ;)

I usually only say that for effect, btw, life is full of shades of grey.  It is the rare person who gets it all wrong, although sometimes they do.  Also, I say it to people who have senses of humor and can defend themselves in a fun, sparring way.  Also, when I do say stuff like that, I am pretty comfortable with supporting evidence or pure opinion, which I also am happy to explain.

it is all fun.