A worrying sign, ramen-related

Randomguy

So I went to the grocery store last night to get yeast, but there was none.  While there, I thought I would stock up a bit and looked for some cheap ramen, and it was totally sold out.

I thought this was a very strange thing to be sold out of, seeing that it wasn't really a staple or gourmet or really preferable for any reason other than its cheapness.  That is when it hit me that people bought it out because they could no longer afford other types of food they would rather have, and that was all they could afford.   This place is getting weird.

• Sad 2

No, it was bought out because it keeps for a long time, cheap and was all that was available.  So it was an early and often item hit by the hoarders that are stockpiling next to their TP.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

looked for some cheap ramen, and it was totally sold out.

Unlikely to ever go bad, dirt cheap, everything you need except the water, and easy to store.  IT'S A MIRACLE FOOD!  Makes sense folks would buy it.

Our new local ramen place was due to open right about now :( and I was hoping to either hit my favorite sushi place or a ramen place for my birthday lunch, but all these things were screwed by this darn corona-crisis.

• Heart 1

I find myself craving comfort food from my childhood.  Two example:  Spaghetti O's with meatballs.  Kraft macaroni and cheese in the box with the powder you add.

Last night my youngest son asked for Chili Mac, which I make by pouring Wolf Brand chili, without beans, over elbow macaroni and cubed Velveeta cheese.  My dad made it for me, so I made it for my boys and I wonder if he is craving comfort food as well.

• Heart 2

16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Our new local ramen place was due to open right about now :( and I was hoping to either hit my favorite sushi place or a ramen place for my birthday lunch, but all these things were screwed by this darn corona-crisis.

The sushi place next to my office is still open, take out only.  I hit them up last week and noticed the rice was stale. The fish was OK but stale rice was indicative of the lack of patrons/reusing products and not making it fresh.

It didn’t make me ill but Im skipping sushi until this blows over.

18 minutes ago, Indy said:

No, it was bought out because it keeps for a long time, cheap and was all that was available. 

There were certain things not present, but there was plenty of other foods there that also keep for a long time, but were just a bit more expensive.  I have had a problem finding anything other than the three-pack of yeast in NYC before, not many bakers here, apparently.

22 minutes ago, Indy said:

No, it was bought out because it keeps for a long time, cheap and was all that was available.  So it was an early and often item hit by the hoarders that are stockpiling next to their TP.

I bought 2 cans of Spam for the same reason. Plus I like Spam. 

Just now, Randomguy said:

There were certain things not present, but there was plenty of other foods there that also keep for a long time, but were just a bit more expensive.  I have had a problem finding anything other than the three-pack of yeast in NYC before, not many bakers here, apparently.

When the hoarding began a couple of weeks ago and I promised my niece home made Mac n cheese, I hit up the Asian markets for macaroni.  The ramen was already gone but the western style pasta was still abundant.  

Cost is definitely a factor but ethnic make up of the community may be a factor too.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I bought two cans last week!  I ate one, and it just isn't the same, though.  :(

I have held off for this same reason.  I remember trying to get all sthe different sized O's stacked inside one another with my spoon.  I would also push the meatballs to the side so that the last bites would be meatball heavy and the first bites were just O's and sauce.

I bought ramen a few weeks back and most of it is still on the shelf in the pantry.

16 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Yeah, they interviewed someone on the news.  He's on the lower income side and was frustrated as he usually has no issue providing for his family but due to hoarding and panic buying, he's struggling to feed his family because all that is left is stuff he can't really afford.  The entire situation freaking sucks and shows yet again how much people suck.

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Is the world still massively overfished?   I wonder if they will restrict fishing vessels, but I am guessing that they will call them essential.

Yeah good point... Restaurants are closed, distributors are not taking orders, who are the boats going to sell too?  You could make the same point with beef, pork & poultry.  

1 hour ago, Indy said:

I agree with you on this. People want food that'll last so they don't have to go out as much.

2 minutes ago, Dottles said:

By the way, any thread with 'ramen-related' demands to be opened.

and hijacked.

We were talking outside this morning about how people are running out of money to hoard stuff. They spent all their money on toilet paper and now don't have enough money to buy food.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Is the world still massively overfished?   I wonder if they will restrict fishing vessels, but I am guessing that they will call them essential.

Yes.  The ocean is for sure.  Only truly sustainable fish these days is famed Tilapia. Likely, any food industry would be deemed essential services right now.

In regards to the ramen, we bought 4 packs of them and I would not normally eat those before.  We bought a few prepared soups to prepare if I get sick and do not feel like cooking.  My normal brand was not available.  It keeps for a long time.  We are trying to only shop every 3 weeks.  This limits exposure to people.  

Someone around here has nine kids.  Nine of them.  :wacko:  Anyway, he bought a bunch of bananas.  Several bundles of them.  People saw him do it and ran back and bought more bananas.  I guess they thought he was on to something important with these bananas.  

Possibly, people are not hoarding, but buying enough to last them a month.  If you get quarantined, you need to have enough food to last through that.

How to feed 7 people on $3. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Yes.  The ocean is for sure.  Only truly sustainable fish these days is famed Tilapia. Likely, any food industry would be deemed essential services right now.

In regards to the ramen, we bought 4 packs of them and I would not normally eat those before.  We bought a few prepared soups to prepare if I get sick and do not feel like cooking.  My normal brand was not available.  It keeps for a long time.  We are trying to only shop every 3 weeks.  This limits exposure to people.  

Someone around here has nine kids.  Nine of them.  :wacko:  Anyway, he bought a bunch of bananas.  Several bundles of them.  People saw him do it and ran back and bought more bananas.  I guess they thought he was on to something important with these bananas.  

Possibly, people are not hoarding, but buying enough to last them a month.  If you get quarantined, you need to have enough food to last through that.

How to feed 7 people on $3. 

We may all be doing this, if we can get ramen that is  what is a ramen substitute?

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

I have some of the chicken noodles in the styrofoam cups that I haven't purchased  since college. 

I never bought those, they seemed too fancy and expensive.  Besides, I never eat it like a soup, I boil the pasta part, drain, and then add the whole spice pack.

In other news, I did buy some ramen today at an interesting place, and I will try it tomorrow.

F3974F7F-895A-4453-A297-1A35E0569016.jpeg

• Heart 1

I have about 7 out of a $1.94 (at Aldi, similar at Walmart) package of 12 Ramen noodle packs.  I meant to pick up more last week but forgot.  I hope they're in stock next time I shop.

I think they're selling out because, besides being only 16 cents/pack, you can store them a long time and you only need to add water - I add about an ounce of mixed veggies or veggies for soup and a little low-sodium soy sauce and about 2/3 the supplied seasoning packet.

When the scare first hit locally at Walmart, the 60 cent store brand and 88 cent Chef Boy-Ar-Dee cans of Ravioli, Beefaroni, Mac & Cheese, Spaghetti & Meatballs. etc. were gone.  So was Rice-A-Roni.  There were several 94 cent packages of Knorr "Fried Rice" mix left on the shelf which grabbed and I discovered is MUCH better tasting than Rice-A-Roni and easier to prepare (microwave for 12-15 min: 2 cups water and optional 1 tbsp butter/margarine plus package contents in a 2 qt container, stirring at the beginning and halfway thru).

On the other hand, stuff with short life-spans like lettuce and tomatoes were plentiful.

Today, most things are in stock in the stores I've visited.