I love the idea of planting clover

Dirtyhip

I had a bunch of clover in my yard a few years ago you could have had for free!  We done kilt it off and have grass now.  We get some sort of an acorn off the maple in the front yard.  Actually I think it's a pin oak now that I think about it.  Anyways, the deers love them.  I leave for work and there will be 5-6 deer in my yard fairly routinely when those nuts are dropping.  

• Heart 3

2 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Thanks!  So Kevin is on board even though it will attract deers, which he hates and can’t schoost, to the pump track. Hip really has him bamboozled!  :D

It is being planted on our property for the bees and to hopefully choke out other grasses.  He does not realize that this will bring them in more.  I'm gonna hide the bag and put the seed in this big plastic bin we have.  Problem solved.  

Not sure what I will say when the deer population increases dramatically.  Although, we seem to have a ton anyway.  They eat a bunch of my plants.  I will just give them "other" things to munch on. I wanted to put a water trough out near our giant elderberry bush.  He told me that he didn't want that.  He told me that there is a large water trough on the property below us.   I have confirmed that they do have water there, so I dropped that.  Now, I plan to invest in a clover meadow.  I think if I heavily seed our property it will not only be beautiful, but it will be a vast ecosystem providing food and shelter to deer, rabbit, and whatever animals wish to reside here.  

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I had a bunch of clover in my yard a few years ago you could have had for free!  We done kilt it off and have grass now.  We get some sort of an acorn off the maple in the front yard.  Actually I think it's a pin oak now that I think about it.  Anyways, the deers love them.  I leave for work and there will be 5-6 deer in my yard fairly routinely when those nuts are dropping.  

You killed the clover for grass?  That is so eville.  Did Ralph put you up to that?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

Our front yard is clover. If I killed it off, my yard wouldn’t be green. To keep the deer from eating up my garden plants I made a spray I call deer stink. Makes one gallon: three eggs, 1/2 cup milk or yogurt, a few cloves smashed garlic and three Tblsp cayenne pepper. Blend together with some water. Add to gallon jug and fill with water. Allow to ferment for a day then apply to the plants you don’t want the deer to eat. Reapply after rain. It takes a few months to train the deer but once they learn they avoid my hostas and other plants.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

We done kilt it off and have grass now.

If you live in a residential neighbourhood, this is important.  My neighbours would be pissed if I intentionally planted an invasive plant while they spend thousands every year for perfect grass.  Not only that but I hate bees.  Probably because of the allergic reaction when I get stung.  But, some like clover and some like dandelions.  I am neither of those.  :) 

• Heart 1

Just now, Wilbur said:

If you live in a residential neighbourhood, this is important.  My neighbours would be pissed if I intentionally planted an invasive plant while they spend thousands every year for perfect grass.  Not only that but I hate bees.  Probably because of the allergic reaction when I get stung.  But, some like clover and some like dandelions.  I am neither of those.  :) 

Which reminds me... doesn't @KrAzY owe us a clover update????

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Maybe you can park one of your growing fleet of cars over by the annoying neighbor's property line?

Ohhhh that’s a great idea, but there is a low spot that holds water in the middle of the yard.. I don’t know what vehicle would have a better chance making it

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Word.

Sort of like my neighbor tossing mint seeds on the ground that are now flourishing and growing out of control. Lest my clover will choke out what’s in my yard. 
mint is too hard to get rid of.. a small root with grow like a wildfire. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Lots of grass seed is invasive. 

I am certain you know the history of lawn.  We like to embrace our pauper background.  Lawn seems silly here. This place has already been seeded with alfalfa at some point.  It is all over.  Just patchy. Most of it is rye grass. 

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I don't care who want's to line up on the wrong side of this.  It's a compound word.  Round up is a bunch of cowboys chasing cows.  RoundUp is a weed  (mint) killing bastion of the evil Monsanto.

I'll go with it is a name.  Just like any other name.  But, I think "One name - RoundUp" was the better way to post.

I've always had clover in my yard.  As a kid, a man a few doors away kept bees and they loved the clover flowers.

We kids in the neighborhood, often in bare feet, got stung so often that, by the time we were around 12 years-old, we virtually became immune to the honey bee stings like some snake keepers do to some extent after years of venomous bites.  If we got stung, we just kept on playing and ignored it.

Last year, reaching across my body to grab a water bottle while on a walk, I accidentally trapped a bee between my arm and chest and it stung my arm.  By the time I got back to my car I didn't even notice it any more.

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

It is being planted on our property for the bees and to hopefully choke out other grasses.  He does not realize that this will bring them in more.  I'm gonna hide the bag and put the seed in this big plastic bin we have.  Problem solved.  

Not sure what I will say when the deer population increases dramatically.  Although, we seem to have a ton anyway.  They eat a bunch of my plants.  I will just give them "other" things to munch on. I wanted to put a water trough out near our giant elderberry bush.  He told me that he didn't want that.  He told me that there is a large water trough on the property below us.   I have confirmed that they do have water there, so I dropped that.  Now, I plan to invest in a clover meadow.  I think if I heavily seed our property it will not only be beautiful, but it will be a vast ecosystem providing food and shelter to deer, rabbit, and whatever animals wish to reside here.  

The deer will stay by the clover and avoid the food free pump track.  That is my story and I am sticking to it

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Just tell him your plan is that they like clover so they will stay where the clover is and off the pump track, so problem solved!

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

Just tell him your plan is that they like clover so they will stay where the clover is and off the pump track, so problem solved!

Unless they have to cross the pump track to get to the clover.  If you've spent time in a RPC you know how that goes.  If not ask @Longjohn

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, KrAzY said:

Sort of like my neighbor tossing mint seeds on the ground that are now flourishing and growing out of control. Lest my clover will choke out what’s in my yard. 
mint is too hard to get rid of.. a small root with grow like a wildfire. 

But it smells so good when you mow it.

• Heart 3

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

So that's why they hate me.  I cultivate the best looking crab grass around.

Crabgrass is good when you have kids playing on the lawn and riding vehicles. They can’t hurt it. I plant milkweed on all the neighbors property. I grow it for the butterflies and when the seed pods dry out and we have a windy day I shake the seed pods and release all the seeds with their parachutes into the wind.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1