smokey sky

bikeman564™

11 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

people need to be careful lighting fires, if this article is true this could of been avoided. :(

True.  One of the huge Oregon fires up near Portland was started by kids shooting fireworks.  Sadly, stupid people canb do a ton of damage in a dry forest.  I am all too familiar with this scenario.  We stopped having campfires about a decade ago, unless it is a terribly cold and wet night.  

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Not what someone with pulmonary fibrosis and asthma wants to see. Supposed to get real bad here Wednesday 

image.png.9f7a1414d16a67713468f548ba4afde3.pngLast nights su

@bikeman564™ the smoke can be from coming from MANY fires in Canada. Below is a link, showing the smoke from the fires in Canada.  OMG it looks like nobody in Canada likes maple trees. 

https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/

7 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

@bikeman564™ the smoke can be from coming from MANY fires in Canada. Below is a link, showing the smoke from the fires in Canada.  OMG it looks like nobody in Canada likes maple trees. 

https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/

As I think about it, this could be more right. But the wind out of the north made me thing of the Michigan one. Either way, it's weird looking.

• Hugs 1

A little apprehensive about tomorrow. As long as we have a straight northerly wind, we’ll get the smoke. Tomorrow’s supposed to be the worst. I’m already coughing a lot and the whole town smells like a campfire. 

Our prevailing winds are Southwest, west, or Northwest, and are expected to shift that easy in a few days. 

• Hugs 1

5 hours ago, BuffJim said:

A little apprehensive about tomorrow. As long as we have a straight northerly wind, we’ll get the smoke. Tomorrow’s supposed to be the worst. I’m already coughing a lot and the whole town smells like a campfire. 

Our prevailing winds are Southwest, west, or Northwest, and are expected to shift that easy in a few days. 

Same here. Orange warning so people with sensitive  conditions should stay in. Outdoor sports all canceled. 

• Hugs 1

Just less than 2.5 wks. ago, it was freakin' drag to wakeup in the middle of night ..with  the smell of wildfire smoke inside home. :huh:

A few years ago, we were on the Trans CAnada highway from BAnff towards Calgary...at that time the wildfire smoke was from British Columbia. Shockingly thick enough, that we could not even see the Rocky Mountains rising along the highway and bike path( which is parallel to highway, just 4 metres away).

Banff Legacy Bike Path between Canmore and Banff. Alberta August 2011. Photo by J. Chong

• Like 1

Way down here in NoVA, for the second day in a row, the sun is but a hazy, smoke shrouded ball in the sky.  I think there is even a bit of a smoky smell to it.  Not sure if that's in my head or not, but it is rare for me to see this where I live.  @Parsnip Totin Jack?

@Razors Edge, can confirm. More haze today than yesterday. Left home at 5:15, the moon was dimmed by the haze. See the sun rise as a red ball in the east, filtered by smoke. Unusual to get the smoke from so far away. Son of Parsnip is spouting conspiracy theories on the origin of these fires. They all started within 20 minutes of each other. Wasn’t lightning as there were no storms. Take off the tinfoil hat son, it’s cutting your blood flow. 

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

@Razors Edge, can confirm. More haze today than yesterday. Left home at 5:15, the moon was dimmed by the haze. See the sun rise as a red ball in the east, filtered by smoke. Unusual to get the smoke from so far away. Son of Parsnip is spouting conspiracy theories on the origin of these fires. They all started within 20 minutes of each other. Wasn’t lightning as there were no storms. Take off the tinfoil hat son, it’s cutting your blood flow. 

Don’t be so quick to dismiss the theories. Many of them contain some amount of truth. I read them and park them,  and see what is uncovered later. The government’s narratives aren’t always accurate. 
I don’t know what motive there is for someone to start huge swaths of fires in northern Canada. 

2 hours ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

https://streamable.com/kzqmvu

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Don’t be so quick to dismiss the theories. Many of them contain some amount of truth. I read them and park them,  and see what is uncovered later. The government’s narratives aren’t always accurate. 
I don’t know what motive there is for someone to start huge swaths of fires in northern Canada. 

You get all kinds.  Even tree huggers burn forests down to prevent logging. :rolleyes:  There used to be indigenous folks who started them for employment on fire crews.  Or, just careless and screwed up people. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

You get all kinds.  Even tree huggers burn forests down to prevent logging. :rolleyes:  There used to be indigenous folks who started them for employment on fire crews.  Or, just careless and screwed up people. 

Yep. One has to assume it will be some of those folks that eventually get arrested up there for starting these fires. 

• Like 2

Oh you poor Eastcoasters!  What are you ever going to do?  For those of you who minimize our concerns out West, deal with it.  Now that this shit is impacting you, I suspect to hear a bunch of whiners telling us Westcoasters just how bad it is.  Basically, you asshats don't care unless it effects you.  Well, enjoy yourselves.  I fully expect you deniers to continue about how circumstantial it all is.  Maybe so but I also suspect you're going to get a lot more of this in the future.  Suffer.

Today it was so dark during the day, that the automatic lights came on.  It really made me feel bad for the people dealing with the fire themselves.  Can't imagine how hard it is for them ,

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dottleshead said:

Oh you poor Eastcoasters!  What are you ever going to do?  For those of you who minimize our concerns out West, deal with it.  Now that this shit is impacting you, I suspect to hear a bunch of whiners telling us Westcoasters just how bad it is.  Basically, you asshats don't care unless it effects you.  Well, enjoy yourselves.  I fully expect you deniers to continue about how circumstantial it all is.  Maybe so but I also suspect you're going to get a lot more of this in the future.  Suffer.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS49_WyhhZNxXoWlrDlW5B

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

Our fires are much smokier. 

7 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

I admit. Little bit of truth and probably more troll! 

I will admit, little bit of truth understood.  NJ's Pinelands (south and east of us) typically deal with fires each summer but they're almost always downwind of us.  Certainly we've got it much better off than those who risk losing homes...

Sun's still red-orange this morning, but feels like there's some improvement in the AQ.

• Heart 1