Cosplay

Airehead
Go to solution Solved by Kirby,

I view half of the population just having fun.  There is a big annual event in our city...it's gotten pretty big and usually a parade downtown. I don't know about their meetings, etc.

When I was in Japan, you could rent a kimono, etc. for a day in the big cities, Tokyo and Kyoto where our trip did include some days there. For Fun, Attention or Quiet Self-Identity : National Heritage Dress – Cycle Write Blog (wordpress.com)  Same in Seoul:  rent to wear the women's hanbok, their long dress.

So some Asians did.  From listening to some people speak, I  knew some folks were Filipino or Chinese.

It puzzled me alot.  It WAS  hot and humid on some days.  So I didn't "get it".  

We never went to the famous Tokyo district for cosplay and other "costume" for pretend.  So I see all this costume stuff along the same psychology. Though some people push it far.

• Heart 1

25 minutes ago, groupw said:

People who dress up in favorite super hero/sci-fi/fantasy costumes to celebrate their fandom. 

I better dress up as Mulan....in flowing robes...the Chinese feminist woman warrior fighting on behalf for her aging father.  BAsed on a true Chinese story....which has become centuries-old legend .and Disney film. And it is the REAL first name of my nephew's half-Chinese-white girlfriend.

Imagine naming your baby girl, based on a woman warrior. :party: 

• Heart 1

47 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Please explain to me. 

Once WoBG wanted to go tp Beatle Fest at a site in Rosemont, IL and meet 2 of her girlfriends there, but she hates driving in the traffic near Chicago.  So I drove her there.   I took my bike and rode 37 miles on the North Branch trail.

After I was done I loaded up the car and I found a place to park close the the entrance of the event.  While I was waiting for WoBG.  I noticed LOTS of people dressed up for Comic Con that were walking to another convention center across the street.   

I just don't understand why anyone would do that.  :scratchhead:  

50 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

'Cos  all work and no  play  make for a dull day.

Yeah I rode my bike... :)

• Heart 1

32 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I better dress up as Mulan....in flowing robes...the Chinese feminist woman warrior fighting on behalf for her aging father.  BAsed on a true Chinese story....which has become centuries-old legend .and Disney film. And it is the REAL first name of my nephew's half-Chinese-white girlfriend.

Imagine naming your baby girl, based on a woman warrior. :party: 

I enjoy that movie. No one says costumes have to be “sexy” though some use the events as an excuse to dress that way on occasion. 
I’ve only been to one and that was near the end of the last day. I needed to pick up something from a friend who was there. Even though it was a small local one, I would guess around half were doing some amount of cosplay. The most impressive was a young woman dressed as Vampirella. Authentic costume. Yes it was very sexy. IMHO, she looked better than the original character! I would have asked for a photo, but I couldn’t find her after talking to my friend. I want to take my camera to the one out here. Most cosplayers love to be photographed if you ask. 

• Heart 2

23 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

They sure like being photographed and why not? B)

I haven't seen  the Disney film, yet, Mulan.. I wasn't living in the same city when nieces/nephews were still small children.  

Disney has done it both animated and live action. I like the live action version better. Which is about the only Disney film I will say that. 

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, Airehead said:

So people dress up and gather. Then what?  What do they do there?

Admire others costumes, collect gaming and comic paraphernalia, meet others with common interests, meet writers like Stan Lee (deceased), meet actors, etc.  At least at places like comic com.  Another form of escapism. 

• Heart 2
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Admire others costumes, collect gaming and comic paraphernalia, meet others with common interests, meet writers like Stan Lee (deceased), meet actors, etc.  At least at places like comic com.  Another form of escapism. 

Never been to one, but it does seem to be like adult Halloween meets a sports memorabilia event meets a movie premiere bundled into a Vegas vibe.  

I think it would be fun to go to one, but more as a spectator of it all. I like sci-fi and fantasy movies, TV shows, and books, so there would be some neat costumes or guest speakers, but since I dislike dressing up for Halloween (mostly the time & effort involved in creating a costume), I wouldn't be likely to joining the "cosplay" part.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, groupw said:

From what I gather, yes. I think the cosplay came about because a)people could let their hair down, so to speak, among like minded fans and b) everyone wants to be “the” fan. 

I was thinking that too.  Star Trek was a trail blazer for sure, and I think the newer things like Harry Potter wizards, Marvel super heroes, and Japanese anime probably offer a very wide range for folks to explore.  Star Trek could be as simple as wearing a red Star Fleet top and a phaser on your belt, but HP would be even easier with just a wand and maybe British-esque clothing.

• Heart 1

Just now, groupw said:

I once heard the great idea as dressing in a Star Fleet uniform to attend a renaissance festival. Run around yelling “oh my God! They can see us!”

That actually makes me realize I HAVE been to a "cosplay" event - the Maryland Renaissance festival many years ago!  I ate one of those big turkey legs and watched jousting and stared at some of the large bosoms of women dressed in cosplay from the renaissance era.  I guess, I also once watched a re-enactment of the Revolutionary War battle at Valley Forge, too.  :facepalm:

Maybe "cosplay" has been around a lot longer than I first thought. :dontknow:

• Heart 2
  • Thank You 1

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So not "weird" or "crazy" or "out there"?  Just same old same old with a twist for new interests and a widening audience?

My BiL got into Civil War reenactment when he was stationed in VA. Then he gave all of his stuff to mr when he had to go to Turkey for a few years, and mr used it to give presentations to students. He would set up the tent, make hardtack, have a few spare coats and hats for students to put on. We’ve since passed it on to another history teacher. 

@Digital_photog went to rendezvous? 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

• Solution
13 hours ago, Airehead said:

Please explain to me. 

I think the most important thing is that it's a portmanteau.  Actually, that's not the most important thing, but I just like saying portmanteau. :nodhead:

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

That actually makes me realize I HAVE been to a "cosplay" event - the Maryland Renaissance festival many years ago!  I ate one of those big turkey legs and watched jousting and stared at some of the large bosoms of women dressed in cosplay from the renaissance era.  I guess, I also once watched a re-enactment of the Revolutionary War battle at Valley Forge, too.  :facepalm:

Maybe "cosplay" has been around a lot longer than I first thought. :dontknow:

Ah, the Cleavage Festival. You’d see some interesting sunburns at those things. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MoseySusan said:
3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Maybe "cosplay" has been around a lot longer than I first thought. 

This. 
Renaissance fairs, reenactment, rendezvous… 

Dressing up for a Monty Python and the Holy Grail midnight showing.  Those were interesting...

• Heart 3
  • Like 1