I almost died yesterday

Road Runner

I was in my garage trying to get something off of a top shelf.  I was standing on the top level my three foot step ladder when I lost my balance and started to fall backwards towards the concrete floor.  I frantically reached for the shelf to stop my fall but my attempts to grasp it failed in rapid succession.  At the very last split second, I managed to grab the lip of the shelf with but one finger and was able to halt my otherwise certain demise.  If I had fallen in my current physical condition, my head would have hit the concrete floor with great force and would surely have split open like a ripe watermelon.  Luckily for me, I escaped harm at the very last possible moment. 

Most of us go about our business everyday, with little apparent concern that great harm, even death, is always just one little wrong step away.       

• Heart 1

There is a safety rule applicable to working aloft and climbing, the three point rule. That is to maintain three points of contact at all times. This is normally thought of as two feet and one hand in secure placement. You can increase your productivity with something like a work harness or saddle, freeing both hands for work.

main-qimg-34b92edb0469b0c50e3c9ade382c74

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

6 hours ago, Dchiefransom said:

If the ladder is sideways to the shelf, doesn't matter how tall it is when you lose balance. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Little-Giant-Ladders-5-ft-Aluminum-Type-1A-300-lbs-Platform-Step-Ladder/999968839

Bought one of those when i got my house two years ago. Still nervous on it, as I still have balance problems, but it's much better than the smaller one I had. Considering going up to the 7 foot version.