LongJohn

Airehead
Go to solution Solved by Longjohn,

4 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Awful update! They sent me down for another echocardiogram before discharge. They brought me the discharge papers to sign while we waited to for them to read the echo. I signed the papers when a person came in the room with the bad news. My heart is only functioning at 40%. They want me to wear a life vest 24/7. It’s a wearable AED that detects heart rhythm abnormalities and shock them back into rhythm..we are waiting on insurance approval. They want me to stay until I get the vest. I won’t be able to get any exercise for three months and then get another echo.

@Parr8hed knows a lot about this. 

17 hours ago, smudge said:

Huh!! My ejection fraction was 35-40 % a few hours after my heart attack and maybe an hour after my stent placement, but I didn't have to wear a vest.  Hmm, I wonder if it's because they expected it to be that low at that time and maybe not you because you didn't have a heart attack this time.... "just" in for maintenance.   ?????   Ah well, your heart will heal and get an improved EJ. That just needs time. Sorry about a vest, though. 

Yeah, LJ, I was thinking you might ask if it is that low because of all the stress, lack of food, and constant waking you that they are doing.  They seem kind of all over the place there from what you describe.

Fingers crossed that it may resolve somewhat in a less stressful environment.  Plus, you haven't been able to exercise like you are used to for a long time now, when you are able to get back to that, numbers may go back up a fair bit.  This may just be a rough patch you can ride out, maybe you can check with your regular cardiologist?

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Yeah, LJ, I was thinking you might ask if it is that low because of all the stress, lack of food, and constant waking you that they are doing.  They seem kind of all over the place there from what you describe.

Fingers crossed that it may resolve somewhat in a less stressful environment.  Plus, you haven't been able to exercise like you are used to for a long time now, when you are able to get back to that, numbers may go back up a fair bit.  This may just be a rough patch you can ride out, maybe you can check with your regular cardiologist?

My wife has had a couple stints in the hospital over the years.  She never talks about the pain, recovery, or even the various surgeries.  She ALWAYS talks about how AWFUL a place a hospital is at night.  Constant interruptions, loud roommates or even neighbors down the hall, the total inability to sleep or rest.  LJ is definitely in the mix of that on top of worry at home, so hopefully he is soon to be back in a more calm environment where he can recover fully.

36 minutes ago, smudge said:

I think he's tired of smudge threatening to bash skulls. :unsure:

According to the site, he hasn't visited here in 15 hours.  That's a little unusual for LJ.

If someone could text him and if he is okay, just give us a thumbs up...,  no discussions necessary.    

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Yes that’s fine. I was just coming here to share that post so I wouldn’t have to type it twice. I’m going to see how much time my brother is willing to spend here. If he can come over all day that would be a big help. Jocelyn comes every morning and takes excellent care of my wife. My brother can help me with the firewood and laundry. 

Hire the Amish kid-- really seriously

• Heart 3

Glad you are home and I second the idea of getting as much help at home as you can - at least for a number of days.  This whole process took a toll on you, maybe more than you even realize.  And you need the extra time with Oreo!

• Heart 3

6 hours ago, Longjohn said:

My son thinks I should sell the house. I love it here but I was told I can’t run a mower, even the zero turn. I won’t be able to garden or run the tiller. I can’t ride a bike or swim. I think my son will have to deal with the house after I’m gone because I’m not well enough to deal with getting it ready to sell. If my heart heals up enough in three months I may be able to start doing things again. I’m going to start with a roll off and get rid of junk.

Selling a house is a very intense process. Not something to be undertaken right now. Prayers continuing. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

7 hours ago, Longjohn said:

My son thinks I should sell the house. I love it here but I was told I can’t run a mower, even the zero turn. I won’t be able to garden or run the tiller. I can’t ride a bike or swim. I think my son will have to deal with the house after I’m gone because I’m not well enough to deal with getting it ready to sell. If my heart heals up enough in three months I may be able to start doing things again. I’m going to start with a roll off and get rid of junk.

As BuffJim states, that's not an "easy" process, so don't even try to jump into that until you have some time to heal up. 

Your son, though is correct in that maintaining a house is tough in the best of times, but even harder when caring for your wife and healing up from heart problems.  I think you can easily tackle the physically easy stuff like thinking through what is important to you, but don't get ahead of your skis and start trying to move, clean, pack, or toss stuff.  Stick to your recovery, spend peaceful time with your wife, and use whatever resources you can find to help with the tough stuff.  It seems your brother, son, & wife's nurse are a good start, but hopefully another aide or an Amish helper or two would be great.

In three months, start by picking a room and deciding what stays or goes.  Maybe in the meantime, you can watch those downsizing shows that are popular and develop a strategy that works for you.  It is a lot of work in ONE go, but far more manageable over several months.  I need to do a good purge on some stuff in the garage at least once a year, or else the car can't fit in there. Shit easily accumulates.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 3

Agree that now is not the time to make big decisions or changes.  Take it easy and hire some local help for the next few months.  That will give you the time and energy to decide what you want.

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I am glad that you are resting. Do you need groceries. The social committee will send some. 

I still have well stocked freezers. I have to go to Grove City tomorrow for my second China virus shot. I might buy a few groceries at Aldi I drive right past it. I won’t buy much because I have to carry them in in bags weighing less than ten pounds.

• Awesome 1

Just now, Longjohn said:

I still have well stocked freezers. I have to go to Grove City tomorrow for my second China virus shot. I might buy a few groceries at Aldi I drive right past it. I won’t buy much because I have to carry them in in bags weighing less than ten pounds.

Buy a corned beef and cabbage. Easy to throw in the crock pot.