Should I buy a gun?

Dottleshead
Go to solution Solved by Parsnip Totin Jack,

I would have been honored if I made it through my entire life not firing anything more than an air rifle.  But the world is getting a bit creepy and I'm thinking of revisiting that stance. But if it's home security I'm concerned about and a gun in home would be useless unless it was loaded.  But then you have a loaded gun in home.  Seems like a disaster waiting to happen but then not having a gun in home could be a disaster ready to happen.  I think Washington has some stupid law that says home owners have to have a gun safe.  I get it so that it's to protect innocent children but I have no children and I'm sure as hell not going to ask the intruder if he/she minds waiting a minute while I open the safe so I can get the gun out to neutralize him/her. There are other home security measures I can employ but I wonder.

What say thee?  Should I get a gun for home security?  Do you have a gun for home security?  Is it in a gun safe?  Is it loaded?  

I feel like everyone should have one.  But that's just me.  If you are gonna have it then you should learn about it.  Take classes.  Watch online vids.  Go to a range often enough to be proficient with it. And keep it ready.  It's really hard to shoot commies with no bullets in it. 

• Heart 4

A safe gun is so far away from use that the crime will be over and done before you unlock and load it.  If it's already loaded and unlocked then it will probably be used against you.  

On the other hand, so many guns are stolen from homes that you'd just be buried in a sea of statistics.

If you are living in a place where you need a gun for self defense than you are probably living in the wrong place.

• Heart 3

If you've never owned a gun and/or don't feel at ease with having one for protection, I recommend a really good home security system.  I've had them for the last 30 years.  And be sure to get an outdoor alarm/siren, not just cameras and alarm company reporting and such.

A determined intruder may ignore cameras and the police delay will likely be at least 10-15 minutes, but a loud outdoor siren will scare the crap out of most intruders and they will be likely to depart the premises immediately and before anyone is harmed. 

Also, an alarm system will protect your home 24 hours a day, whether you are at home or away.  A gun can't do that.   

• Heart 1

In our home we have a 9mm pistol, a 22 pistol, 1 bolt action 22 rifle, 1 semi auto 22 rifle, 1 .308 rifle and a pair of 12 gauge shotguns.

All are kept in cases.  Bolts out of bolt actions.  Ammo stored away from guns.

My oldest son hunts with the 308 and when he worked on the ranch, he used it to shoot feral pigs.

The shotguns mainly are for shooting clay pigeons, but have done the occasional dove hunt.

The 22s are all just for target shooting.

I did not buy any of them with the thought of home defense, I have no desire to carry a gun for defense either at home or out.

• Heart 1

If you have a home intruder, ask them to sit and chat.  Make them some tea.  Find out what went wrong in their life and offer help.

A Compassionate Teacher And The Disciple Who Was A Thief

Long time ago, there was a Buddhist teacher who was wise and compassionate. He had many bright students, he taught them meditation and other practices. They held him in high respect. But there was this one thing in the monastery that they couldn’t tolerate.

There was a young disciple who would often steal from his brother monks, he would steal their money, he would steal small things in the monastery.

Monks complained about him to their teacher “Master! he steals things from us, please advise him”

The wise one said “Give him some time, he will learn. I’ll talk to him”, wise one called the young disciple after everyone had left “These things are puny, only right practice will give you what you crave for, work hard on your practice, stop stealing things.

The young monk prostrated before the wise one in respect and left, he was ashamed of his habit, he was determined to try and stop his habit. He was an intelligent and good person, like most people who come on the path, but it was too difficult for him to change his mental pattern (isn’t it often difficult for everyone).

Few days passed without any trouble, but he could not resist the temptation for long, he fell and unfortunately for him he was caught again, monks paraded again to the wise one taking the culprit along, the wise one dismissed them saying “Give him some time he will learn”.

They caught him few more times and brought him in front of the wise one for justice, he would simply dismiss them saying “Don’t mind him, do your practices. He will learn to behave”. Monks were all growing impatient with their teacher for his strange behavior. They couldn’t understand why he wouldn’t send him out of monastery.

It happened once again, they submitted the young monk in front of him, and not surprisingly he neglected the case without saying much. This time monks were determined, they wanted a permanent decision from the Guru’s part. They said in chorus “Master we can’t take it anymore, you can keep us here or this thief, we will not stay here if he stays”.

“Alright then, you all may leave. I’m not going to abandon him.” came the reply, monks were all surprised at the unexpected answer.

“Oh master! O master! Please” pleaded the disciples in gentle voice.

“You are all good disciples, you will get admission into any monastery. But he won’t be accepted anywhere else, I’m not going to leave him.” said the compassionate one.

The young monk who was watching all this commotion was touched by the compassion of the great one, his resolve was so strong that he gave up stealing thereafter for good.

Moral of the story: True love can often change even the toughest hearts

The author of this story is unknown and greatly appreciated!

• Thank You 1

Do not get a gun.

Unless you are willing to put in the time and practice to develop a skill set with the gun way beyond pulling a trigger at a paper target, then willing to maintain constant and regular practice in order to maintain that level of practice, you having a gun is only going to put you and your family in greater danger than you are right now.

• Heart 4

• Solution

I am of the belief that certain people should not own guns. I recognize that I am one of those people. If I owned a gun in my past, I would not be here today. I also recognize that I would use a gun rashly in the wrong situation. A jury May acquit me, but someone else would be dead or maimed. I don’t want that so I don’t own guns. 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Me too.  But I still believe a good alarm system is the absolute best first level of home protection.   

I didn’t buy guns for home protection. I bought them for hunting and target shooting. 

However, they’d work well in a protection situation too. 

And personally, I think a good dog is the best in home protection/ invasion deterrent. 

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

So much this.  I was trained and still didn’t keep my pistol on the ready. It was broken down & basically unshootable for decades. But I had a kid in every room of the house…

Remember bullets go through doors, walls and even people.  Without the proper training which is more than punching holes in a target from a static position you are likely to miss & kill your neighbor.  

I’d suggest a German Shepherd. You’ll have a loving companion to get you through tough times & a guard dog all in one.

12 gauge, short barrel, pump or semi, defense rounds....

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Dottles said:

I would have been honored if I made it through my entire life not firing anything more than an air rifle.  But the world is getting a bit creepy and I'm thinking of revisiting that stance. But if it's home security I'm concerned about and a gun in home would be useless unless it was loaded.  But then you have a loaded gun in home.  Seems like a disaster waiting to happen but then not having a gun in home could be a disaster ready to happen.  I think Washington has some stupid law that says home owners have to have a gun safe.  I get it so that it's to protect innocent children but I have no children and I'm sure as hell not going to ask the intruder if he/she minds waiting a minute while I open the safe so I can get the gun out to neutralize him/her. There are other home security measures I can employ but I wonder.

What say thee?  Should I get a gun for home security?  Do you have a gun for home security?  Is it in a gun safe?  Is it loaded?  

Get a dog. 

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

@Zephyr got any current data?

No, not current.  But I have seen recent stats that even special team personnel who train at least twice a month in dynamic shooting, when put in an instinctive shooting situation have their shooting accuracy drop to just below 70 percent.  That's a lot of stray bullets.  

• Thank You 1

Just now, Zealot said:

12 gauge, short barrel, pump or semi, defense rounds....

Personally I prefer a handgun for CQB.  Having trained in MOUT in the military and have cleared several drug houses as a civilian cop a handgun is much more practical.  Entering tight quarters and clearing angles is much easier without 18” of barrel leading the way. 

If I was in Iraq clearing out a house sure give me an M4 but for personal home defense I’d take a handgun over a shot gun.  

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Get a dog. 

I just checked out a video camera system that would alert us when someone comes to our doors and it doesn’t store it on the cloud. But you have to buy your own storage. All that for $600 which any competent thief could destroy or work around. 

8 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I just checked out a video camera system that would alert us when someone comes to our doors and it doesn’t store it on the cloud. But you have to buy your own storage. All that for $600 which any competent thief could destroy or work around. 

Except a competent thief isn’t after your stuff. Yes we use high end video, access control & alarms not to mention IT security as competent thieves are after our stuff at work.

You on the other hand are guarding against a druggie out to get your stuff to sell for meth and may or may not do harm to anyone who happens to be in the house.

• Heart 2

18 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Personally I prefer a handgun for CQB.  Having trained in MOUT in the military and have cleared several drug houses as a civilian cop a handgun is much more practical.  Entering tight quarters and clearing angles is much easier without 18” of barrel leading the way. 

If I was in Iraq clearing out a house sure give me an M4 but for personal home defense I’d take a handgun over a shot gun.  

And for trained, well (regularly) practiced folks, I agree. I was expert with 9mm and .38. 

But for the untrained, non regular users, who aren’t clearing houses, but are simply meeting an intruder in the dark, I’d say use the shotgun.  You do not have to be on point. 

But that’s my opinion. And it’s what I’ve trained my wife to do... 😊 

• Heart 2

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Except a competent thief isn’t after your stuff. Yes we use high end video, access control & alarms not to mention IT security as competent thieves are after our stuff at work.

You on the other hand are guarding against a druggie out to get your stuff to sell for meth and may or may not do harm to anyone who happens to be in the house.

That’s exactly what it is. 

Can I say that I am proud to read these replies this morning?  I thought this thread was gonna be a shit show when I woke up today.  

@Zealot I agree about the short barrel 12ga pump.  If for no other reason than the sound of you chambering a round.  That sound alone may scare the poo out of someone just enough that you may not have to shoot them. 

Question for anyone here.  Have you ever pulled a gun on someone?  

• Heart 2

16 hours ago, Dottles said:

If you're planning to have the gun ready to fire and in easy reach every time, for example, you're walking between your car and your house or a place of business because the neighborhood is so bad, then yes - get a handgun.

Otherwise, my thoughts when I considered it for myself is that a robber/attacker is NOT going to say, "Pardon me. I see you're packing a gun. So I'm going to wait 15 seconds so you can get it out, release the safety, and defend yourself before I attack you."

There have been lots of cases of armed people being killed because they were surprised by their attackers, like the two police officers on duty that were shot in a Walmart a few years ago or the officers that were shot recently in a number of reports when they were answering home violence complaints, only to be surprised by a shooter.

As far as having a gun to defend my house: I don't know of any houses anywhere within a mile of me where someone has violently broken in decades. I don't know of any local churches, clubs, etc. where a mass murderer attacked - ever.  So having a handgun in the house would, by probabilities, be more of a potentially accidental danger to me than a protection to me.

If things were different and more dangerous locally, I would get a handgun.  But for me personally, I don't need it but it sure is worth doing for some people.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Question for anyone here.  Have you ever pulled a gun on someone?  

An unloaded Remington model 1100.  Do you know the sound of a rack being slammed shut on a dark and quiet night will scare the crap out of someone digging around in your car.  You just press that little button under the breach and people crap their pants.

• Heart 4