Carrots

Dottleshead
Go to solution Solved by Wilbur,

Do you like them?  Do you eat them solo?  I've been not eating after 7:30 but lately I'm not adhering to that as well as before.  I often will have a carrot slices at night considering it a low calorie snack with minimal damage and great/good and health benefits.  But I know many do not like them and no longer eat them by themselves.  What say you?  Yay or Nay to raw carrots?

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods/carrots

• Heart 1

25 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

Do you like them?  Do you eat them solo?  I've been not eating after 7:30 but lately I'm not adhering to that as well as before.  I often will have a carrot slices at night considering it a low calorie snack with minimal damage and great/good and health benefits.  But I know many do not like them and no longer eat them by themselves.  What say you?  Yay or Nay to raw carrots?

I like them either as a nuked side dish or as one of the main things in chicken soup.

I always have a pound of those so-called baby carrots in the fridge for when I want them.

I'm even thinking of planting them in my veggie garden this year. Supposedly, the best carrots for heavy clay soil, which I have, are Royal Chantenay and Red Cored Chantenay.  The Red Cored are a little fatter and shorter (5-6") and I bought the seeds.

I can put 15 carrots in a 3-foot row, 2.5" apart.  After about 35 days, I should be able to harvest the 7 in between the other 8 as bsby carrots, leaving 8 carrots 5" apart to harvest as full-grown after about 70 days.

I can plant rows 6" apart and each row planted 2-3 weeks after the previous row so that 6 rows, roughly a 3' x 3' plot. should give me plenty of fresh carrots fora few months.

Carrots can be blanched and frozen, where they're softer than fresh carrots when thawed but fine for soups, sauteing, etc.

From: U. of California Cooperative Extension Master Gardeners of Sacramento County

‘Red  Cored Chantenay’ – This is a short, fat carrot with a very attractive smooth orange skin.  It rarely splits or forks, even in heavy soil.  It has a hard, crunchy, dense texture and full-bodied flavor which is sweet and complex.  It is an improvement on the original French import [Royal Chantenay].

Length:  5½ inches long  Days to Harvest:  75 days   Tasting comments: Very sweet (typical carrot flavor); tall, sturdy foliage. My favorite. Okay flavor. Good flavor.

From: https://luv2garden.com/best-carrot-varieties-varieties/

Red Core Chantenay is an old world heirloom that originated in France, although when is not exactly known. When fully mature it is has relatively large diameter and the carrot itself is a tad stubby at roughly 5 – 7 inches long.

Chantenay Carrots are frequently harvested before reaching full maturity, as it makes for a fine baby carrot. Older carrots are also known to develop a woody fibrous core and lose much of their appeal.

Chantenay Carrots of all strains are favored for winter storage qualities, they have a good shelf life and actually get sweeter when stored properly

image.png.07f46dec01023a464e805d67b78c650d.png image.png.140afc77b8057301e32227a2d23e6ed5.png image.png.47644b71ced8cd19b0101b7624ee5f27.png

• Heart 2
  • Like 1

I like em and eat em. I would get pretty hungry if I did not eat after 7:30pm. I am just now eating supper at 7:45pm after taking a dog to the vet, buying milk, and mailing some bills. Peony is resting comfortably after a shot of morphine and a muscle relaxant. She did something to her neck.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

I like em and eat em. I would get pretty hungry if I did not eat after 7:30pm. I am just now eating supper at 7:45pm after taking a dog to the vet, buying milk, and mailing some bills. Peony is resting comfortably after a shot of morphine and a muscle relaxant. She did something to her neck.

Hope Peony wakes healed.

I like carrots.

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

16 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

Yay or Nay to raw carrots?

Carrots are nice.  Sadly, supermarket carrots aren't all that tasty - very meh - but when you have a good carrot, it is quite nice.

I generally eat them on a salad - I just shred them with a peeler or slice them finely.  They add some texture and can add taste.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, KrAzY said:

If you eat too many carrots you will turn orange.. I still tease my nephew about it from when he was a baby.

You turn more reddish than orange. 

Decades ago in Boulder (in the mid '90's), I had a coworker (briefly) sit next to me that ate raw carrots several times during each day, it was pure hell.  She ate so many carrots that her hands were turning reddish.   

I asked her not to eat near me at all at one point when I was exasperated, told her it was disruptive and extremely annoying and wth makes you think it is ok to do that within earshot of anyone else multiple times a day?  Fucking hippie!  Yeah, she was a full-blown hippie, she changed her name to "Piper Marley" because she was stupid and liked the first name and was also a Bob Marley fan.  She was terminally unaware of anything in her surrounding environment, btw, dense like a hunk of wood, but probably not as smart.

It was a part time job I was glad to leave.

• Haha 1

• Solution
16 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

Too high in sugar for my taste.  I much prefer cucumber and celery. 

• Heart 1

23 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Oh dear. Poor Peony.  Roughhousing?

3 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Oh dear. Poor Peony.  Roughhousing?

Have no idea, but we knew something was wrong when she woke up crying loudly in her crate. She is much better today. The vet gave her a laser treatment last night, and she may get more. She is very good about taking her pills. She goes out by herself, but we have to be careful as she feels better and wants to get more active. Luckily she stays in the house away from the other dogs.

• Hugs 2

Just now, sheep_herder said:

Have no idea, but we knew something was wrong when she woke up crying loudly in her crate. She is much better today. The vet gave her a laser treatment last night, and she may get more. She is very good about taking her pills. She goes out by herself, but we have to be careful as she feels better and wants to get more active. Luckily she stays in the house away from the other dogs.

So true, once pain subsides, dogs do not know how to take it easy 

7 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

So I'm off the clock but was hungry so compromised and decided to have carrot sticks.  I figure they are a veggie, low cal, and simple to digest.  Much better than that bowl of cereal I was thinking about.  About two whole carrots for 50 calories.

Is it true that carrots make you see better in the dark?

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Mechanism??? Chewing, swallowing, and digesting like a normal person!

I feel we have been sold a bill of goods.  It was probably some WW2 propaganda about that because carrots were cheap and plentiful in times of ration and all that.  In reality, they probably give 4 hour erections, but nobody was saying that.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I feel we have been sold a bill of goods.  It was probably some WW2 propaganda about that because carrots were cheap and plentiful in times of ration and all that.  In reality, they probably give 4 hour erections, but nobody was saying that.

I doubt it would make it into Saturday morning cartoons if it wasn't at least PRETTY DARN TRUE.

Same thing with spinach. :dontknow:

• Haha 1

On 2/5/2024 at 9:38 AM, Wilbur said:

Too high in sugar for my taste.  I much prefer cucumber and celery. 

They are high in sugar, which many people don’t realize. I think we still have a couple bunches in the root cellar. Need to use them up soon.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I doubt it would make it into Saturday morning cartoons if it wasn't at least PRETTY DARN TRUE.

Same thing with spinach. :dontknow:

I don't know how Popeye didn't puke when he popped whole cans of CANNED(!) spinach like that.  I would puke if I did that, without question.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I don't know how Popeye didn't puke when he popped whole cans of CANNED(!) spinach like that.  I would puke if I did that, without question.

Yeah - not sure how that canned stuff is even prepared.  I love spinach, but it would be odd straight out of the can.

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

You having a slow day?:whistle:

• Haha 1

I like roasted carrots with chili honey drizzled on during the last few minutes in the oven. And I put chopped carrots into every soup I cook. They’re part of the onion/celery/carrot beginning to soup and stew. I’m making Guinness stew for supper tonight, and there will be carrots in there. 

• Heart 1
  • Like 1