Tell me about your sleep routine

Kirby

Do you have a set routine before bed?  Something that gets you ready for sleep?  Do you stop using electronics?  Do you take some time to read?   I just heard an interview with a sleep expert who was talking about how it's important to have "sleep hygiene" and set the right conditions for sleep.

If you can't sleep, do you have any tricks for falling asleep?  In the interview, he discussed walking through a happy memory - such as imagining yourself on a golf course (if you golf) and imagining each of the holes and how you'd play them.  This sort of reminds me of my Mom's trick of imagining herself walking down to the general store from our old Catskills house and imagining each of the houses and people along the way.

I think working odd hours & shift work early in my career, my body is accustomed to shutting down on command.  I basically do my video watching & such between 8-9 PM.  I go up, get ready for bed, hit my pillow and am out in minutes.   WOChrisL generally watches HGTV for an hour or so before falling asleep.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

Have good and bad habits.

Bad:  looking at my iphone before I sleep. Not advised because of the blue light which keeps brain awake.

Better:

• Take shower a few hrs. before bed.  My hair has to naturally dry.
  • Do some exercises  -Should do this more consistently.
  • Listen to some music   -certain music relaxes or is cathartic to me.
  • Read a real book  - only less than 1 hr. Usually around 1/2 hr.

Keep rm. temp. not too warm.

That I have at 1-2 activities that enjoy doing during waking hrs. in my life...at any time in life.

• Heart 1

22 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I fall asleep just fine most nights. I have a bad habit of waking up at 3 or 4 am and not getting back to sleep though. 

This is my common problem at this time.  However there was a point in life few yrs. back, I could only sleep 1-2 hrs./night.  Just terrible.

• Heart 1

It is hit or miss for me. Usually I can turn the old Brian right off, but sometimes the switch does snot work and it stays on all night. I wake up every hour or two. The very few nights I have slept almost straight through have been marvelous

• Heart 1

25 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I think working odd hours & shift work early in my career, my body is accustomed to shutting down on command.  I basically do my video watching & such between 8-9 PM.  I go up, get ready for bed, hit my pillow and am out in minutes.   WOChrisL generally watches HGTV for an hour or so before falling asleep.

I was in the same boat.  With sometime working 3 different shifts in the same week I got to were I could just shut down and go to sleep...wake up 6 hours later and go to work. Many times I would walk out of work at 3 and be back at 11pm for 3 shift....2 days later 2nd shift. 

When I worked at the bathtub factory (kohler company) I worked swing shift and  I made it almost a year before I quit.

I could not handle working swing shift 

• Heart 2

If I am really tired...I do a journal entry and go to bed..If not I will read for a bit...bedtime is earlier in the dark winter months..lately it is between  10 &10:30...

Since my surgery plays havoc with good sleep..I have a sleep meditation or some sleep music ( I don't  use it all the time..but it helps when I'm seeking that comfortable sleep spot.)..this comes from insight timer.

Under normal sleep..I do pretty well with the occasional lousy toss and turn night...right now..I sleep great til about 3am..then the discomfort gets to me...I can get some sleep after that but from 3 to 5:30 there can be lots of tossing.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, BR46 said:

I was in the same boat.  With sometime working 3 different shifts in the same week I got to were I could just shut down and go to sleep...wake up 6 hours later and go to work. Many times I would walk out of work at 3 and be back at 11pm for 3 shift....2 days later 2nd shift. 

When I worked at the bathtub factory (kohler company) I worked swing shift and  I made it almost a year before I quit.

I could not handle working swing shift 

Rotating shifts are the worse.  We did that for a while in the Army for equity among squads, everyone spends a week on each shift.  Except you can never get into a routine.  Eventually we settled into regular shifts.  

I spent much of my last year on graves but like you I didn’t like swing shift much. It basically kills your whole day. 

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Rotating shifts are the worse.  We did that for a while in the Army for equity among squads, everyone spends a week on each shift.  Except you can never get into a routine.  Eventually we settled into regular shifts.  

I spent much of my last year on graves but like you I didn’t like swing shift much. It basically kills your whole day. 

We sometimes had to go on shift for a month or two at a time for work. It was very bad sleep wise, but I did enjoy the change in routine a little. I would take bike rides during the day, and I loved drinking and playing pool in a deserted bar at 7am.  :D

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Ralphie said:

We sometimes had to go on shift for a month or two at a time for work. It was very bad sleep wise, but I did enjoy the change in routine a little. I would take bike rides during the day, and I loved drinking and playing pool in a deserted bar at 7am.  :D

Yeah I liked graves as well for having your days free.  I could either take two naps or just stay up and then go to sleep around 4 PM.  Either way you have a good part of the day free. 

Mine sucks lately.  Some nights I don't sleep at all.  I will be up a few more hours tonight.  On the bad nights I read until three or four and then try to get a few hours of sleep so that the coming day will not suck as much.

• Hugs 2

13 hours ago, Kirby said:

Do you have a set routine before bed?  Something that gets you ready for sleep?

I generally do this routine every night:

1. finish any dishes, run dishwasher if needed, and set the coffee maker up for the morning
  2. take the pup out for her bedtime pee
  3. close up the downstairs - windows, doors, whatever
  4. head up to bathroom to brush teeth, etc.
  5. chat with my wife if she's not already sleeping from reading while I did steps 1-4
  6. turn out any remaining lights & make sure windows are closed if rain expected, AC/heat is set if needed
  7. read my kindle in bed until I drift off to sleep
  • Heart 1

I used to read dead tree books and fall asleep after a few short pages, but the telephone is so much easier to deal with, largely because it puts out its own light, that now I screw with that for just a few minutes before lights oot.

• Heart 1

Whelp, it's just after 4am.  I've been awake for over an hour (2nd time) and my coffee is done as well as my V8.  That pretty much explains my sleep habits.  I think I'll go and quietly cook an egg and warm a piece of pita bread for breakfast 1.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Whelp, it's just after 4am.  I've been awake for over an hour (2nd time) and my coffee is done as well as my V8.  That pretty much explains my sleep habits.  I think I'll go and quietly cook an egg and warm a piece of pita bread for breakfast 1.

Good morning!

• Thank You 1

On 4/17/2024 at 12:02 AM, ChrisL said:

Yeah I liked graves as well for having your days free.  I could either take two naps or just stay up and then go to sleep around 4 PM.  Either way you have a good part of the day free. 

Oy. I worked third once - as part of a double. Even though I slept for about six hours of that shift, I never volunteered for it again.

There was one shop I worked in -days- that had windows that looked right into the backyards of the houses next door. I’d come stumbling in to work at 7AM - hung over, sometimes - and look out the windows and see the guys who lived there and worked 3rd at the wire mill, drinking beer, smoking weed and playing horseshoes. “Ugggghhhh”. 

Second shift I did several times and really liked it. I could get home at midnight, get seven or eight hours sleep and have all day before I had to go to work. I built my other house that way - work on the house all day, go to work and get rested up, lather rinse repeat. One of my coworkers used to say he liked second because “by the time you get to the bars, the girls are already drunk and you don’t have to buy them anything”. :D

• Haha 4

I don't have a sleep routine, but studies say we should.

I often fall asleep in my recliner around 11 pm - midnight and wake up around 6-7 am.

If I feel tired, I climb into bed and fall asleep - no reading, TV, etc.

On 4/17/2024 at 12:02 AM, ChrisL said:

At the Forge the new hires always worked in packing. Before the strike the packers were scheduled seven days a week and they had to check the schedule every week because they would move them to different shifts as needed. I felt bad for the guys that had to work 3-11 on Sunday and then work 11-7 on Monday. That shouldn’t even be legal.

• Heart 1

50 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

At the Forge the new hires always worked in packing. Before the strike the packers were scheduled seven days a week and they had to check the schedule every week because they would move them to different shifts as needed. I felt bad for the guys that had to work 3-11 on Sunday and then work 11-7 on Monday. That shouldn’t even be legal.

So they had to work back to back shifts or they had 24 hours between shifts?  

I hated it when schedules would change on your day off.  I had that happen to me once where I had two days off, another squad leader borrowed me and scheduled me while on my first day off without telling me.   A patrol had to come & get me and I was berated & threatened with NJP for missing my shift… Later that day the Platoon Sergeant called me in, said he spoke with Sgt Gramby and understood what happened.  He told me not to worry about it. 

I never pulled that shit once I became a squad leader & had to schedule. 

On 4/16/2024 at 6:03 PM, Kirby said:

Do you have a set routine before bed? 

To start, I put on pajamas any time after dark. It varies. Then watch tv or read. mr and I will drink chamomile tea around 8:30. Then I get #2 a bedtime snack and lock up the fridge, prepare his BiPAP machine, and track his BiPAP time and the day’s exercise on his wall calendars. We usually talk about the day and his plans for the next day. Then I say good night and go wash my face and apply night cream, brush my teeth. If I’m not sleepy, I watch nature or gardening shows until I start dozing. I used to say prayers or a litany of loving kindness, but I’ve let that habit go. 

My fitness tracker data shows that my deepest sleep is within the first few hours of the night, and the rest of the night is light sleep, waking, and REM.

What about you, @Kirby? Were you tuning into an interview about sleep hygiene out of need for ideas or a routine?

• Heart 1

On 4/17/2024 at 11:31 AM, Wilbur said:

I see nothing about back rubs.  That changes the whole routine. :) 

I am not that flexible.  I would hurt myself.  Maybe I should get one of those Sharper Image massager things for the recliner in my bedroom? 

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

To start, I put on pajamas any time after dark. It varies. Then watch tv or read. mr and I will drink chamomile tea around 8:30. Then I get #2 a bedtime snack and lock up the fridge, prepare his BiPAP machine, and track his BiPAP time and the day’s exercise on his wall calendars. We usually talk about the day and his plans for the next day. Then I say good night and go wash my face and apply night cream, brush my teeth. If I’m not sleepy, I watch nature or gardening shows until I start dozing. I used to say prayers or a litany of loving kindness, but I’ve let that habit go. 

My fitness tracker data shows that my deepest sleep is within the first few hours of the night, and the rest of the night is light sleep, waking, and REM.

What about you, @Kirby? Were you tuning into an interview about sleep hygiene out of need for ideas or a routine?

You are truly one of the best people I know.  Than you for being you. 

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Funnily enough, my family has always had a nighttime routine but due to the nature of my job, I have not.  Unless sleep when tired, eat when hungry is a routine.  Ginger tea before bed is a favourite. 

and wake up when the all collision alarms are going crazy? 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Say, what's a mountain goat doing way up here in a cloud bank?

I work with a guy who flies light planes and he loves that one. :D

i love his saying. When you have a problem in a plane, the first thing you do is wind your watch. As opposed to :frantics:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ralphie said:

I work with a guy who flies light planes and he loves that one. :D

i love his saying. When you have a problem in a plane, the first thing you do is wind your watch. As opposed to :frantics:

Gravity always wins.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChrisL said:

They had to work 20 hours straight. They were known for doing a lot of goofing off, no accountability, but still nobody should have to work 20 hours straight.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

They had to work 20 hours straight. They were known for doing a lot of goofing off, no accountability, but still nobody should have to work 20 hours straight.

Agreed, “funny” in that I’ll be doing pretty close to that next week… 18-20 hour days for 2 days for our annual meetings

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, ChrisL said:

When I worked in the Steal mill, overtime was worked either an extra 8 on the weekend or a double.

I worked one double (the aforementioned 4-12 & 12-8) and one extra shift on the weekend. After that I said two words to OT and they were not “Merry Christmas”.

• Heart 3

16 minutes ago, Johnny Come Lately Name said:

When I worked in the Steal mill, overtime was worked either an extra 8 on the weekend or a double.

I worked one double (the aforementioned 4-12 & 12-8) and one extra shift on the weekend. After that I said two words to OT and they were not “Merry Christmas”.

I worked graveyards while going to college.  It seemed every semester, I would have one 24-36 hour period where I couldn’t sleep.  It was usually: work, early class, late class, work, early class…

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

It was on a radio show on Sirius that I listen to regularly.  The show is hosted by two emergency room doctors, but that week they had a guest who was a sleep expert.

When I worked, I'd take a shower when I got home, have dinner and then explore on my computer (but would also check work email) until bedtime.  Now I try to have some tea and read for an hour or so (and Cheesy usually comes up and naps next to me - mostly to make sure she doesn't miss her before bed treats).   It can take me a bit longer to fall asleep now that I'm not always sleep deprived, but if I do, I'll usually listen to some relaxing music on a sleep timer.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

I'll usually listen to some relaxing music on a sleep timer.

I haven’t tried music. Nature shows usually have monotonous narration, and that relaxes me. If I read, I’ll keep going even if I’m sleepy. 

• Heart 1

It’s a long glidepath. I actually start my downward trajectory on my way home from work. Having to sit down for 35 minutes is a good start. (Unless there’s traffic consternation). Then I walk the dog, eat, shower, get my stuff ready for the next day - clothes, lunch etc. I goof around online for a bit and then go lay down and read. 

I have little to no problem falling asleep. 

Staying asleep is another matter.

• Heart 2
  • Thank You 1