Do you still talk like an old person?

KrAzY

I know some of ya are hip, and others not so much. (I will not name names.....cough cough jsharr....cough cough)

Do you all still say things like  "It's all cattywampus", "Madder then a wet hen", "Happier then a pig in mud" , "don't know shit from shynolia", and "Don't count your chicken before they are hatched"? 

I get made fun of at time by my wife for these things.. It is just things I grew up from hearing as a kid, and will not let them go.  

• Awesome 1

12 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

I know some of ya are hip, and others not so much. (I will not name names.....cough cough jsharr....cough cough)

Do you all still say things like  "It's all cattywampus", "Madder then a wet hen", "Happier then a pig in mud" "don't know shit from shynolia"? 

I get made fun of at time by my wife for these things.. It is just things I grew up from hearing as a kid, and will not let them go.  

As a Canuck, am not familiar with some of your slang.  Seriously.

am trying to think of a slang from Ontario (where I lived lst 40 yrs.) that's equivalent to "Madder than xxxxx"....  More like "madder than hell".

9 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

As a Canuck, am not familiar with some of your slang.  Seriously.

am trying to think of a slang from Ontario (where I lived lst 40 yrs.) that's equivalent to "Madder than xxxxx"....  More like "madder than hell".

You should have something... everything in Canada is French or English... that's two languages for the price of 1 

11 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

You should have something... everything there is French or English... that's two languages for the price of 1 

You're right. 

Some comics joke about stuff that happens over in Laval which is in Quebec but not far from Ottawa.  It's been while since I've lived in central Canada on east side.  But you do hear "Joyeaux Noel" more often up here..but not in my prairie province even there are some historic French-speaking communities in Alberta.

Now I can't think of western Canada slang. Maybe I live a sheltered life.

I used to talk like a young man when I was young and I held onto young talk a little as I aged because of the teenagers I taught and coached in sports into my 50's.  Sometimes they'd test me to see if I knew what they were talking about.  Like the three cuties from my chemistry class, outside and without coats, during a bomb scare in cold winter weather. "Hey, Mr. C! Can you find out from an administrator how much longer we're gonna to be out here? Our headlights are on!"

They kept looking in my direction, as I walked away toward an administrator, to see if I realized what they said. It took several seconds for it to sink-in that "headlights are on" meant "hard nipples" and when I looked back at them with a mouth-hanging-open, "I can't believe you said that" look, they laughed and laughed.  So did I.

Episodes like that kept me current but I speak grumpy old man language now.

20 hours ago, KrAzY said:

Do you all still say things like  "It's all cattywampus", "Madder then a wet hen", "Happier then a pig in mud" , "don't know shit from shynolia", and "Don't count your chicken before they are hatched"? 

My dad used to say: “He didn’t, know shit from putty, until all his windows fell out.”

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

Great googley moogley! I say just about everything you all have quoted!!!! 

Ya, I say a lot of these things, but I can speak a little more younger generation depending on the situation. I've always felt you should know your audience.

One of my proud moments when I was a kid was when my Dad was talking to someone and the someone gave me a sideways glance. My Dad said, "Oh, it's ok. She wouldn't say shit if she had a mouthful of it." I had never thought about it, but it influenced me in a positive way.  I was also proud the day we were hauling/dragging logs out of a swamp by hand and he told someone, "Yup, she really earned her oats today!" I worked even harder once I heard that.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

13 minutes ago, smudge said:

Great googley moogley! I say just about everything you all have quoted!!!! 

Ya, I say a lot of these things, but I can speak a little more younger generation depending on the situation. I've always felt you should know your audience.

One of my proud moments when I was a kid was when my Dad was talking to someone and the someone gave me a sideways glance. My Dad said, "Oh, it's ok. She wouldn't say shit if she had a mouthful of it." I had never thought about it, but it influenced me in a positive way.  I was also proud the day we were hauling/dragging logs out of a swamp by hand and he told someone, "Yup, she really earned her oats today!" I worked even harder once I heard that.

But you always talk like a Yooper, right?  Like the Fargo lady? :D

Age is an excellent excuse for being lazy and worthless.  I have been lazy and worthless my whole life, but now I have an excuse.  I forgot; I haven't been feeling well; I don't understand all this new-fangled stuff; etc.   :)

Age is also amazing in its ability to garner sympathy, especially from the fairer sex.  :rolleyes:

The age card, when played properly, is an effective and powerful social instrument.  Fortunately, only the oldest and wisest among us have access to it.   :mellow::)

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Age is an excellent excuse for being lazy and worthless.  I have been lazy and worthless my whole life, but now I have an excuse.  I forgot; I haven't been feeling well; I don't understand all this new-fangled stuff; etc.   :)

Age is also amazing in its ability to garner sympathy, especially from the fairer sex.  :rolleyes:

The age card, when played properly, is an effective and powerful social instrument.  Fortunately, only the oldest and wisest among us have access to it.   :mellow::)

Youth and energy will never make up for experience and treachery.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, smudge said:

Yosemite Sam

Dagnabbit

Yosemite Sam used it a lot.

Honest, culturally I'm not familiar with the above...at all.

I'm certain I use certain Canadian-based jargon that I'm not even aware of it.  When I swear, it truly is generic English profanity...that is broad North American.

For instance, for something really tame:  "For cryin' out loud"....that is very Anglo based.   I'm not certain what the French equivalent or German equivalent.  I'll ask dearie for the latter...if he knows.

I must hang around with friends who don't swear much nor borrow from popular culture for slang.  Or I was at home, hearing my mother swear in Chinese when she was pissed off.

13 minutes ago, smudge said:

Ha!!  Swear at me in Chinese......!  :D:D:D

I can't quite write out Mfucker in Chinese.  I kid you not.  Don't EVER underestimate that old Chinese lady walking down the street.  She might fly at you in a fury.??‍♂️

And sheeot is....well close to poop.

Here are my parental influences:

*My artistic tendencies, any softening and try to find compromise.. comes from father.

*My advocacy to speak out, speak directly and fight for what I believe...comes from mother.

Any toughness....comes from both parents.

• Heart 1

Just now, shootingstar said:

I can't quite write out Mfucker in Chinese.  I kid you not.  Don't EVER underestimate that old Chinese lady walking down the street.  She might fly at you in a fury.

And sheeot is....well close to poop.

OMG!!  Ha!! That's hilarious! Wow, I thought the angry Chinese lady was a stereotype that movies like to exploit.  Huh! 

p.s. Thanks for the advice! Yoopers don't have much experience with such things. 

p.p.s. I'm going to be chuckling about this for a while. 

• Heart 1

I spent decades working with young people and then was around teens as a booster so I know the slang but I tend to speak like an Army NCO still and don't bother trying to speak like the kids. I'm old, I'm good with it.

The hard part is flipping the switch in the boardroom.  I'll be presenting to executives and let a mutherfucker fly on occasion.