Something is bothering me.

Dirtyhip

...kid, people in general are just dreadfully stupid about poorly researched and mysterious human illnesses.  

It's just a fact of life as we know it, and you need to work on letting it go.  I say this as a person once laid flat in my early 50's for approximately five years by an illness that was variously diagnosed as CFIDS, asthma, psychological illness, and "beats me I can't help you."  So if you've got a doctor and a program that seems to be working, you need be neither angry nor apologetic.

You quickly figure out that your illness is your illness, and forgive the trespasses of the ignoramuses who "read something on the internet". They mean well.

Also, a big plus one on the Vegan thing.  Paleo-vegan maybe, with some exceptions for essential food groups like bacon.

• Heart 3
  • Haha 1

Thanks for sharing DH.  Stay the course as you are probably doing better with your overall health & wellness than most and I'm guessing those who are offering up suggestions.

I struggle with my many meds for diabetes, gout and cholesterol.  I'd rather take less pills but even now with 30 lbs lost and a much improved diet my glucose is stable but not at a point where I could come off or even change meds.  At least not yet...

Doing what works best, is the best for you. That's excellent you researched information on various options, and it's apparent you are versed in which path to take. I agree people shouldn't push their approach, even though it may of worked for them. Conveying other diets etc should be offered as informational IMO. Specially from a non-professional who only has one case as evidence.

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Thanks for sharing DH.  Stay the course as you are probably doing better with your overall health & wellness than most and I'm guessing those who are offering up suggestions.

I struggle with my many meds for diabetes, gout and cholesterol.  I'd rather take less pills but even now with 30 lbs lost and a much improved diet my glucose is stable but not at a point where I could come off or even change meds.  At least not yet...

The choice to go on meds or not weighed heavy on my mind.  It still does. Techfidera hasn't been out for 30 years.  Y'know.  Like, what can it cause?  Who knows.

I do enjoy walking, riding, eating without a tube and many other life's pleasures. For this reason, I take the meds.

12 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

The choice to go on meds or not weighed heavy on my mind.  It still does. Techfidera hasn't been out for 30 years.  Y'know.  Like, what can it cause?  Who knows.

I do enjoy walking, riding, eating without a tube and many other life's pleasures. For this reason, I take the meds.

I struggled with the decision to go on alupurinol for gout.  I told my Dr I didn't want to take yet another pill and asked if I could control it with diet. He said for most, yes. For you, no... He said my numbers indicated a predisposition and I'd have to eat such a restricted diet it wasn't realistic and still may not help.

So I started taking the pills and haven't had a gout flair since. But it wasn't like I just accepted it.  I'm hoping I can get my A1C down to a point I can come off Januvia but even with the diet, exersize and weight loss my glucose is much improved but not even at a "normal" range... 

• Heart 1

Well..they probably mean well. They heard or read something and they thought of you.

I suggest you thank them for their interest but you have worked out your strategy including: diet, exercise, supplements and medications with the team of medical professionals you are currently being treated by and both you and your team are happy with your results. Or you can tell them to fuck off :P

Another suggestion is to tell them to e-mail said advice to your doctors for their consideration of changes to your current treatment plan....or tell them to fuck off :P

I don't mean well.  I am selfish and self centered - honest.  If I find something that I think is good and works, I "suggest" everyone try it.  I don't take into consideration what others may be suffering with and may have already tried to alleviate their suffering.  I am very judgy, I should not be, but like most, I am human and have faults.

In all honesty, I sincerely apologize for any offense.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

10 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I don't mean well.  I am selfish and self centered - honest.  If I find something that I think is good and works, I "suggest" everyone try it.  I don't take into consideration what others may be suffering with and may have already tried to alleviate their suffering.  I am very judgy, I should not be, but like most, I am human and have faults.

And I as well.  We are not perfect.  I did project my anger onto you about the "Most meds are unnecessary."   That was wrong.  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

meh, try the red diet. Eating foods that are red will heal you quicker. Everyone knows this :rolleyes:

No, try the blue diet. Everyone knows blue is faster...

On the serious side, you know your own body better than anyone else. Do what you know works for you and ignore the naysayers. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

OK, as long as you have a thick skin, and can stand the abuse!:whistle:

48 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Have you tried essential oils?

I swear by it.  My preference is Mobil 1, though don't mind Valvoline Pure Synthetic either.

There is nothing more essential than good motor oil.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Well..they probably mean well. They heard or read something and they thought of you.

I suggest you thank them for their interest but you have worked out your strategy including: diet, exercise, supplements and medications with the team of medical professionals you are currently being treated by and both you and your team are happy with your results. Or you can tell them to fuck off :P

Another suggestion is to tell them to e-mail said advice to your doctors for their consideration of changes to your current treatment plan....or tell them to fuck off :P

I prefer to tell them to fuck off. 

It wasn't the advice, it was the comments when I turned them down.  They were so rude. 

• Heart 1

There are 2 ways people tell others what they should do, about anything:

I do it, it must be right, you should do it or you're wrong.

I do it, it makes me happy, I'd like to share my happiness.

Their response when you disagree will tell you what their approach was.  And if you should bother responding.  

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

I said I want to punch people in the face that say things like that.  Probably not the best course of action.  Violence.

Timing.  I went for the throat.  

Whoa, you lost me with this one.  I agree with you, and I am just pointing out to SW, that with his attitude of 'his way is the right way' without regards to others is OK if he is prepared to stand the verbal or written abuse.:whistle: This has happened before. I guess, I shouldn't have taken a brief nap.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

First, congratulations for doing your research and deciding what you thought was best for you.

Second.  When I read the thread title I opened it very carefully to see who was going to bleed.

OK, this made me laugh.  

Yes, I can be intense.  

As far as symptoms,I am very lucky unless it gets really hot.When the weather is in the 90's, I have trouble functioning.  Damaged pathways, I guess.  I get dizzy and can fall down. 

Sometimes, I get really tired too.  Like, massive fatigue. I always complain to my husband that I am having MS fatigue.  He doesn't always think it is the MS making me so tired.  Last night he said "You're a 49 year old athlete, who pushes constantly.  Of course you are going to be tired or feel fatigued."  He says it is normal human stuff.  Maybe it is a little of both.  I don't know.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

OK, as long as you have a thick skin, and can stand the abuse!:whistle:

Actually, I am fairly sensitive.

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Thanks.  The point of this thread was to sincerely apologize to @Square Wheels.  My words were harsh.

It's me that should have apologized to you.  I find you inspiring.

• Heart 1

I hope the people at least meant well even if their approach wasn't good.  You deserve to have people who care about you around you.

Those of us who have seen your posts over the years know how hard you've worked on your fitness and how seriously you take your health.  You and your doctors are best positioned to know what works for you and it's clear you've never just opted for the easy choice. 

The next time some know-it-all tries to tell you how to manage, you could mention to them that unlike others with your issues, you are still able to race bikes and finish ahead of other riders who do not have the same challenges you face.  Ask them if they would like to see if they can keep up with you, and if they think their plans for their own health have worked out as well for them as yours have for you.  If that doesn't make them pause, then you thank them for their concern and continue as usual.

• Heart 1