Retirement

Further

We had a guy that worked maintenance that heard me and another guy talking about retiring. He said he wanted to retire too. I asked him how old he was and he said 55. I told him he had a long way to go. He said maybe not. I retired at the end of March, he retired in May. I have no idea what he is living off? He’s in a rock band but I doubt there is much money in that. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

We had a guy that worked maintenance that heard me and another guy talking about retiring. He said he wanted to retire too. I asked him how old he was and he said 55. I told him he had a long way to go. He said maybe not. I retired at the end of March, he retired in May. I have no idea what he is living off?

I work maintenance 

I could have retired at 55

No I did not inherent a lot of money 

No I did not win the lottery 

Wo46 and I understood the value of saving and investment at a young age. 

• Heart 2

Now that it's June, I have 12 more months to go before I plan on retiring. I'll be 66 then so I'll get full Social Security. I already get my military retirement and a little retirement from teaching part time at the college. 

However our contract is up in October and if the new contract cuts my pay more than 10%, I'll retire early.

• Envious 1

12 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Now that it's June, I have 12 more months to go before I plan on retiring. I'll be 66 then so I'll get full Social Security. I already get my military retirement and a little retirement from teaching part time at the college. 

However our contract is up in October and if the new contract cuts my pay more than 10%, I'll retire early.

If possible hang in there.  Full SS retirement is much better than early.  7 months is doable.

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, BR46 said:

I work maintenance 

I could have retired at 55

No I did not inherent a lot of money 

No I did not win the lottery 

Wo46 and I understood the value of saving and investment at a young age. 

Would be awesome to retire at 55, but no way I can do that as my daughter will just be 15 by then.  :(

We're planning for 55 but the healthcare BS remains the main sticking point.   Hard budgeting for that sort of thing.  But I have now learned that in life, you need to strike while the iron is hot (or as soon as possible) since the future is a black box and we have no idea what it holds.  I think if I make it to 55 relatively healthy, I can enjoy the "fruits" of my labors while I still have taste buds and an appetite.

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

We're planning for 55 but the healthcare BS remains the main sticking point.   Hard budgeting for that sort of thing.  But I have now learned that in life, you need to strike while the iron is hot (or as soon as possible) since the future is a black box and we have no idea what it holds.  I think if I make it to 55 relatively healthy, I can enjoy the "fruits" of my labors while I still have taste buds and an appetite.

You'd be surprised at the quality of taste buds and appetite after 55 noob but you're probably right about having to make it till then.

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

You'd be surprised at the quality of taste buds and appetite after 55 noob but you're probably right about having to make it till then. 

I'm COUNTING on there being high quality taste buds and appetite still going when I hit 55.  I'm less confident (but still hopeful) at 65 or 75 that my physical competency will be able to match my hopes and dreams at the time.

25 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I’m a few years from 55 and can’t even imagine retirement.  Of course we aren’t financially prepared for me to retire but I’m also not ready to hang it up.  I actually don’t have an age in mind, probably another 12-15 years.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm COUNTING on there being high quality taste buds and appetite still going when I hit 55.  I'm less confident (but still hopeful) at 65 or 75 that my physical competency will be able to match my hopes and dreams at the time.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

My siblings asked when do I plan to retire which surprised me at the time (my siblings asking me this???)...but it was a question after having my 60th birthday earlier this yr. I responded that if I was forced to retire at 64 it wouldn't be a terrible thing.  I'm the eldest, so in a way, sibs are curious....

At 56, I was recovering from a concussion and on short-term disability leave for 4 months, from work (which was cost-wise was partially covered).  When I was 58, I still wasn't even thinking about retirement at all...

I never thought turning 60 would put me in a mode of thinking about retirement.  It's more about financial planning.  In CAnada, one has to plan carefully about decoupling finances during retirement early enough, so one doesn't get over-taxed in latter decades of life.

I am not as worried about my health, just about extra costs that our public health care insurance doesn't cover --dental, vision, etc.  And unexpected living costs. This year, I've reflected way more about my career in past, now and near future, than I did before.  I turned down another employer for a 2nd phase interview, because there's no point in me switching to another organization.

At this time, the organization is under financial constraints...hence no conference, courses ….except for the boss.  At this time, it doesn't bother me, because role continues to give me new things to learn and do/achieve.  I still have to show my stuff, I still have to present and teach groups of employees, etc.  So job keeps me motivated and as long as what I do is appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I think if I make it to 55 relatively healthy, I can enjoy the "fruits" of my labors while I still have taste buds and an appetite.

... you're presuming an existing quality of taste and refinement that has not been proven here. :)

• Haha 1

...I had a lot of trouble and unfortunate circumstance involved with my initial retirement.  I've not had any trouble being retired.:skipping:One day the realization hits you that you are no longer caught up in yet another dysfunctional situation (at work), and you breathe a big sigh of relief and gratitude.  Here's something that was in the paper here yesterday.

Joseph Thuesen has been placed on administrative leave from the top job at Sacramento Regional Fire and EMS Communications Center since April 12, with center board chairman Chris Costamagna telling The Bee in emailed statements the leave was due to “accounting irregularities” brought to the board’s attention.

Three days later, a temporary restraining order was granted against Thuesen on behalf of his workplace, after Costamagna and two of Thuesen’s employees wrote declarations claiming they feared for their safety after an alleged conversation involving Thuesen. The petition had included written declarations attached by the center’s deputy directors, Kylee Soares and Diane House. 

Sacramento Superior Court Judge Joginder S. Dhillon on Friday, however, denied the request for the restraining order.

You have to have some background and a scorecard to rate the players, but Chris Costamagna is the son of the guy who was chief of the department when I worked there.  He got his initial job with fire in one of the more egregious historical examples of nepotism in the local fire department.  It's no surprise he rose up to a managerial level, because that's how the fire department works.  I don't know the other people involved, but I know enough about the sad history of the EMS dispatch center here and how the fire family works in the Big Tomato to read between the lines...as does the news article.

It really doesn't matter who's telling the truth in this, it's just one in and endless stream of "Fuck me ? NO fuck you." incidents in the day to day management of emergency services here. Life is too short. :) 

46 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

One day the realization hits you that you are no longer caught up in yet another dysfunctional situation (at work), and you breathe a big sigh of relief and gratitude. 

That is my hope...that we won't have dysfunctional work relationships /draining politics in our immediate dept.  Right now, it's fine.  We have had some staff changes in last 18 months (and I'm one of them.. still a new face, but "familiar" because I transferred from another dept.)  and there's still more to come.

Boss is preferring to get people internally for the short term positions because to perform well/efficiently requires understanding our large, complex organization quickly, in terms of internal clients and their business processes/services.  Private sector folks who get hired into our organization actually require more time, because they keep on saying in the beginning "that's not how we did it".  Well, great for you have a good idea....try ramming it through across 3-4 other depts. if you're a junior. 

Better off knowing current tools (really competently), methods, key decision makers and stop being ever-questioning newbie that wants to change the world (that slows things down a lot more than you think)...and get the job done.

At 57, I am looking at realistically retiring at 65-67. WoW and I both have a partial pension waiting for us when we retire and we both have 401ks and an IRA. We should be debt free by then. 

My employer had a stroke 2 years ago. Luckily, he shows very few outward signs. He is a good boss, but I see detachment from the company creeping in and he is sick far more often. At 61, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him step away in the next couple years. If he does, I am out. I like his daughter and the junior partner, but I see a power struggle coming between them.  I don’t know if the company will survive it. 

That may not matter because we are still seriously looking at AZ. I’ve found a couple cities of interest with housing prices that would be right in the ballpark for cost. Overall cost of living there is comparable to here. Might be time for a new adventure!

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Zackny said:

On December 2, 2023 I will have 30 years of service and will be 60 years and 9 months old. I will not be reporting to work as of 12/3/23. I got stuff to do.?

I haven't quite done that type of granular count-down yet.  I find that type of counting stuff demotivates me. (I gave up my bike cyclometer over 15 yrs. ago.)  Instead I just realized there's an advantage for me to have my birthday in January:  I reach my benchmark pensionable year more quickly.  :)  Thank you mother, for getting pregnant at the right time of year. My work anniversary month with present employer, is each November.

So all I know, I would probably retire maybe in spring....or when weather is better ..to bike lots more :)  to start new phase of life whenever that year will be. It would be a lovely way to kickstart stuff.

• Heart 1

18 hours ago, Further said:

Smokin Joe retired today.

He was at the mill 12 years

He hadn't reached medicare age

When he went over his retirement / pension options with Gretchen, she showed him the massive benefits of staying 3 more years. He had to agree that it made sense to stay a few more years.

Gretchen asked, Well? Smokin Joe said, 'draw it up for end of May, I'm outta here"     :hapydance:  

12 years doesn't seem long enough to hate something so bad you want to give up big benefits - especially when Medicare isn't an option. Of course, it depends on the circumstances. If it means the difference between a comfortable retirement and just getting by, you've foolish not to stick it out unless there's some critical issue.

I was 51 and had hip and Achilles Tendon problems and teaching had become a stressful occupation in the early 2000's and I wanted to retire, but I knew I wouldn't reach the comfortable retirement income level until I was 57-59 and decided to hang on for several years.  When I was 56, they raised and back-dated the pension formula, so I retired then. In my case I got full great health-insurance benefits for about $125/month (mostly employer subsubsized) that became Medicare Supplemental health, prescription, dental, and vision at 65.

If I hadn't stayed those extra years, I'd be living ok, but frugally since pensions tend to be back-weighted (they strongly increase in value in the final years because your pension's amount is based on your final salary).

11 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

12 years doesn't seem long enough to hate something so bad you want to give up big benefits - especially when Medicare isn't an option. Of course, it depends on the circumstances. If it means the difference between a comfortable retirement and just getting by, you've foolish not to stick it out unless there's some critical issue.

I was 51 and had hip and Achilles Tendon problems and teaching had become a stressful occupation in the early 2000's and I wanted to retire, but I knew I wouldn't reach the comfortable retirement income level until I was 57-59 and decided to hang on for several years.  When I was 56, they raised and back-dated the pension formula, so I retired then. In my case I got full great health-insurance benefits for about $125/month (mostly employer subsubsized) that became Medicare Supplemental health, prescription, dental, and vision at 65.

If I hadn't stayed those extra years, I'd be living ok, but frugally since pensions tend to be back-weighted (they strongly increase in value in the final years because your pension's amount is based on your final salary).

I have no idea what his personal finances are like. It just cracked me up that he looked at the big picture, agreed he should stay a few more years, and said cash me out.   ?

• Haha 2