How are you celebrating St Patrick’s day?

BuffJim

44 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I like a good reason to celebrate!  What exactly are we celebrating on St Patrick's Day? 

Finally,  after years of research and steady observation, I have finally found something that RE is right about.

• Hugs 1

I just finished a little program to text me all of my light colors so I will be able to set them back after turning every light in the house green.  Getting ready to prep Irish Stew.  Making soda bread tonight.  The wimminfolk will want to watch some hokey Irish movie, I'll be watching at least one guy with some thin link to Ireland play hockey

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Making the corned beef and cabbage in the @goldendesign manner. I liked the method he uses to cook everything low and slow. It is more better than boiling the hell out of everything in the English manner. I have some Guinness and some Jameson's for the festive parts. I was going to make soda bread, but I needed sourdough too so the heathens won the vote; sourdough boule wins. I will post pictures on the morrow. Today I installed the flagpole outside the new homestead and will fly the green, white, and orange banner tomorrow. Mike Murphy and his dog Finn will have their hearts joyed by the sight.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

We had takeout corned beef and cabbage from a local pub with my sisters (actually I had the chicken pot pie, but they had the corned beef).  One sister gave me some imported Irish cheese and the other gave us shamrocks.    I gave them hand soap with bunnies on it that they can use to get in the spirit of Easter.  I sent my niece and nephew Dublin Cream flavored coffee from one of coffee locations a forumite mentioned in my Coffee post. 

I'm currently eating Irish Cream Milano cookies and I'll wear a green shirt tomorrow even though nobody will see me.

I'll also see if the Quiet Man is on tv.

• Heart 4

27 minutes ago, roadsue said:

We watched Darby O’Gill and the Little People with my grandson on Monday night. I could watch it again; it’s so cute. It’s on Disney+. Making corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots tonight. 

A singing Sean Connery!

• Awesome 1

My Y-chromosome comes from ancestors in Tipperary County, Ireland and I often have corned beef and cabbage, most often in the form of sauerkraut - which makes sense since my paternal grandmother's ancestors are German!

But sometimes I have Irish ground-beef shepherd's pie because an online recipe for it I found from a woman with a small catering business in Ireland says this: "Posting this per a request. I've said it once and I'll say it again there is nothing Irish about Corned Beef and Cabbage, but Shepherd's Pie has always been and still is a staple of traditional Irish cooking."

I also worked as a research chemist in a subsidiary of Dow Chemical and we had an Irish born-and-raised receptionist who said she never heard of Corned Beef and Cabbage until she came to America.  But even if it's something that arose from the Irish in America, it tastes great and I love it.

In any case, that online Shepherd's Pie (also lists the British lamb version) recipe is incredibly good - the sauce built on chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce, and ketchup or tomato sauce sets it apart from any of the good versions of shepherd's pie you can get at Costco, Aldi, etc.

It's rated 5 stars out of 5 by 278 reviewers and is here: https://www.food.com/recipe/traditional-irish-shepherds-pie-302120

This year I stocked up with on on-sale ribs and pork shoulder and it got backed up on my schedule when, Sunday, my SiL gave me a bag 4 marinated chicken leg quarters left over from a food giveaway she worked at her church. Since the stores donate good meats  like that when they're around their sell-by dates, I baked the chicken first since the pork has late-March use or freeze dates.  I'll finish the chicken today or start the pork, so it's going to be chicken or pork for St. Paddy's day, probably baby-back ribs low-pressure cooked following this recipe while subbing Weber dry BBQ rub: https://playswellwithbutter.com/pressure-cooker-baby-back-ribs-recipe/

• Heart 1

21 hours ago, Kirby said:

We had takeout corned beef and cabbage from a local pub with my sisters (actually I had the chicken pot pie, but they had the corned beef).  One sister gave me some imported Irish cheese and the other gave us shamrocks.    I gave them hand soap with bunnies on it that they can use to get in the spirit of Easter.  I sent my niece and nephew Dublin Cream flavored coffee from one of coffee locations a forumite mentioned in my Coffee post. 

I'm currently eating Irish Cream Milano cookies and I'll wear a green shirt tomorrow even though nobody will see me.

I'll also see if the Quiet Man is on tv.

Quiet Man is on TCM 8 Pm! We’re going to watch with my Mom tonight. 

I’m using the Instant Pot with ingredients from the ATK recipe. But my pot is only 3 quart, so I’m cooking half the meat at a time. It smells so yummy! I’m going to look for TCM on the Sling so I can watch Maureen O’Hara and John Wayne. So feisty. 
Oops: no TCM, but it’s on Prime, so I’m good.

• Heart 1