How well synchronized are your oven and microwave clocks?

Mr. Silly

I like to keep the two within a second of each other.   It bugs me when the oven clock shows 1:22 and the microwave shows 1:21.  They're currently off by more than I like right now because of the daylight savings time change last weekend.  I was trying to get them closer but Mrs. Silly told me I was being to obsessive.  She's out of town until Monday.  So I can obsess over them this evening.  

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

I like to keep the two within a second of each other.   It bugs me when the oven clock shows 1:22 and the microwave shows 1:21.  They're currently off by more than I like right now because of the daylight savings time change last weekend.  I was trying to get them closer but Mrs. Silly told me I was being to obsessive.  She's out of town until Monday.  So I can obsess over them this evening.  

You might consider therapy. Obsess over too/to/two.

25 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

+/- 10 seconds

I set the oven clock at the time change. It then loses 2 minutes and stays that way to the next time change. I don’t understand, but I stopped fighting it. The microwave display is FUBAR. Our bedroom alarm clock is a crapshoot. The buttons are wearing out so getting it within a couple minutes is good enough! If it dies, I will bring the cell phone in and charge it there. 

I'M NOT OBSESSIVE, but both of those clocks are sync'ed with the USNO Master Clock.

Not really.

My dad was a naval officer on an aircraft carrier.  As a bridge officer one of his duties was navigation.  And when it was the admirals ride he was the navigator for the fleet.  Synchronization with the USNO Master Clock was critical at that time.  He carried some of that into civilian life.  It was not unusual for him to get the shortwave radio out and dial in the USNO Master Clock to set the clocks in the house.

• Heart 2

The first thing I do is set my watch to the official time, based on one of my several clocks that are updated daily via radio transmission.  Then I go around and set each clock to exactly match my watch (within 1 second).  Yes, I am anal or have OCD, whatever.  When I see the time, I like to know it is the correct time.    

41 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I'M NOT OBSESSIVE, but both of those clocks are sync'ed with the USNO Master Clock.

Not really.

My dad was a naval officer on an aircraft carrier.  As a bridge officer one of his duties was navigation.  And when it was the admirals ride he was the navigator for the fleet.  Synchronization with the USNO Master Clock was critical at that time.  He carried some of that into civilian life.  It was not unusual for him to get the shortwave radio out and dial in the USNO Master Clock to set the clocks in the house.

I think the military caused my OCD with time.  Syncing an assault requires everyone to have the exact same time on their clocks.  Back in the day as a desk sergeant, we also did comm checks with nets outside our time zone so many communications were in Zulu time.  

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah but we called it Zulu... 

My dad would explain in detail, that's because you didn't know how to spell GMT.  Before GPS (or Lowrance......) an extremely accurate chronometer a sextant were crucial to not getting lost at sea.

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

My dad would explain in detail, that's because you didn't know how to spell GMT.  Before GPS (or Lowrance......) an extremely accurate chronometer a sextant were crucial to not getting lost at sea.

To everyone or just the ground pounders? 😂 Sounds like something a squid would do...

Us Army dogs didn’t ask questions, we just did as we were told... 

I have no idea if the clock on my oven works or not.  I'll have to check in 10 minutes to see if the clock moved.  My microwave has a clock, but I haven't set it, so it just stays blank when it's not in use.

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

Millions of ex military people know it as zulu time.  GMT is for others.

3 hours ago, Mr. Silly said:

How well synchronized are your oven and microwave clocks?

I was thinking - on Sunday morning - how odd it is to have both an oven and a microwave clock.  It seems like one or the other - or both - should have a "hide" time function and only be active during use.  Maybe "smart" appliances do?

3 hours ago, Kirby said:

I have no idea if the clock on my oven works or not.  I'll have to check in 10 minutes to see if the clock moved.  My microwave has a clock, but I haven't set it, so it just stays blank when it's not in use.

A couple months ago you revealed that you don't measure you laundry detergent and instead you just pour it in "willy-nilly".   Now you're sharing that there is no correct time in your kitchen.  You have shared with us about your not-wild sister as well as your wild sister.  There is no question, you are the wildest of the sisters.  

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Kirby said:

That sounds like my house. The clock on the stove might work if it was set to the right time. Something happened to it years ago and it only tells the time now if you press the clock button. I don’t care enough to do that. Same with the microwave. It would have to be set every time the power goes out, I’m not going to do that. My phone always has the right time. I have a gold watch that has the right time if I set it for stupid DST. I don’t think owl bother this year owl just stuff it in a drawer and forget about it. 

10 hours ago, Mr. Silly said:

Every once in a while, I set one, then set the other to one minute later but wait until the first one changes to the new minute before I click the button that finalizes the time.  That keeps them very close.  But most Spring-ahead and Fall-backs or area power outages, I'm too lazy to do that and they end up about half a minute apart.