The best years of your life

Road Runner

So I was watching this game show this morning and the contestant was asked to pick the right answer among the three possibilities shown below.

According to a poll taken among people over 65, what years of their lives did most of the respondents look back on as the greatest period of their lives?

A.  Their childhood

B.  Their 20's and 30's

C.  Their retirement years

I said 20's and 30's, by a wide margin.  What say you?

So far, so good.  I look forward to the upcoming years and retirement, so that's neat, but I had a pretty nice childhood, good times in my 20s, 30s, and 40s, and so far, really like my 50s.

For old folks, you'd have either the wistful "return to childhood and family" folks, and the "met my spouse, raised my kids" sorts.  Few have retirement properly sorted.  So, I agree with you,, but maybe not by a huge margin over "childhood".

• Heart 1

Man I don’t know.  My late teens & twenties were hard but good.  30’s we’re good but lots of financial struggles.  Maybe my 40’s where I was making good money and having fun with my kids and not having the physical issues I’m having now.

My 50’s have been good tho, just the affects of diabetes kicks my ass sometimes.  

I had a good childhood, but my 20's and 30's were great.  I went to college, got married and and had a son, got several promotions at work, was in my best physical shape ever, and had more and better sex than all other periods of my life combined.

I am now retired.  It's okay, but my continuing physical ailments make it a lot less fun than it might be.  Getting old kinda sucks at times. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

What game show asks such a question? 

Common Knowledge.  It is on the Game Show Network.  Most of the questions are fairly simple trivia, but the final questions at the end of the show are extremely hard to answer, just so they don't have to give away the "big" prize of $10,000.  

• Heart 1

I would say my best years were the last 10 or so.  Off of shift work to a healthier, more well balanced life and better work-life balance has made for great times.

I was too shy/ self conscious/ lacked confidence for my teen years to be considered fun,  my 20s and 30s were a blur of babies and working odd hours in isolated placed

• Heart 3

4 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

I’m guessing most of the over 65 set said childhood. 

Nope...   I'll be 66 in November.  

4 hours ago, Road Runner said:

what years of their lives did most of the respondents look back on as the greatest period of their lives?

I've never considered this question before... 

I remember my past, I don't 'look back' for a great period of my life.  I can only make today a good day.  I do what I can.   What happened in the past is in the past.  I learned from it.  I don't want to relive my past.   I'd probably screw it all up worse than I did the first time.

So.... I guess retirement, which is now,  is the greatest period of my life.

When I worked, people would ask, "How is your day going?"   I'd respond, "I'm on the green side of the grass, so it's a good day."   Today is a good day... 

• Heart 3

Based on my parents and friends, I'd say retirement.

I recall a discussion at work one day where everyone ranked their happiness on a scale of 1-10.  Most people said somewhere between 5-7 with points deducted for work stress and worry about various family issues.  My parents both said a 10 immediately.   One guy at work did say a 9, and the rest of us spent lunch trying to figure out why he was so happy.

• Heart 1

22 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Based on my parents and friends, I'd say retirement.

I recall a discussion at work one day where everyone ranked their happiness on a scale of 1-10.  Most people said somewhere between 5-7 with points deducted for work stress and worry about various family issues.  My parents both said a 10 immediately.   One guy at work did say a 9, and the rest of us spent lunch trying to figure out why he was so happy.

• Heart 1