Why do you think Yellowstone never interested you?

AirwickWithCheese

9 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I live in Canada and without a car..I have to plan stuff.  I would prefer to see the Grand Canyon first.

Grand Teton National Park is worth it. Just buck up and expect to overpay -- and buy @denniS a beer if you see him. We may go back sometime just to ride the trail again. But I need to save a hundred grand first.

I visited  a number of years ago and liked it.  I had always thought of it mainly for the geyser and thermal features,  but I also really enjoyed the canyon and lake area.  The main park can get crowded,  but if you actually get off the main loops and go hiking, it was very pleasant.   One of my friends went on a wildlife tour during the winter season, I'm not sure I'd enjoy that much outdoorsy cold.

• Heart 2

10 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

It did, we planned and were booked, for there and Teton, but Covid came so we had to bail out of our trip.

Greenville is second only to Yellowstone. You and the family can be our guests. Edgar, Parker, and I will sleep in the backyard in a tent while you enjoy yourselves

• Heart 3

21 minutes ago, Kirby said:

the geyser and thermal features,  but I also really enjoyed the canyon and lake area.

I think this is the main reason to go to the park. The canyon and falls are worth it but nothing overly spectacular if one is used to seeing that kind of thing. It's the geysers. I suppose it's akin to visiting castles in Europe. You're excited for the first one or two but then you sorta hit castle fatigue. They're nice and all but how many times do you need to see and smell a geyser blow it's top? The Grand Prismatic however could be the exception IMHO. Maybe I'm just getting old (er).

• Heart 1

Surprised there is not much talk about wildlife. I prefer going in the autumn. I also prefer the Tetons, but found Yellowstone enchanting, particularly after a snow in late September. I normally go the cheap route and stay in cabins several miles west, but now I have the pu camper. Different strokes for different folks, but I will return some day.

• Heart 3

29 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Surprised there is not much talk about wildlife. I prefer going in the autumn. I also prefer the Tetons, but found Yellowstone enchanting, particularly after a snow in late September. I normally go the cheap route and stay in cabins several miles west, but now I have the pu camper. Different strokes for different folks, but I will return some day.

I'll keep livin till the day I die

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

I didn't mean to skip that at all. But we found all that and maybe more in GTNP. Grissly, bison, moose, wolves and antelopes were all spotted in GTNP. The access to services, the closer proximity and lesser crowds wins for me by a landslide. Having said that, if Yellowstone was my destination, I would probably not stay in Jackson again. West Yellowstone seems like a better option. A bit cheaper and much, much closer to the park. Certainly access to the big guns greatly improves.  

Yellowstone has a lot to offer but if you exclude geysers -- and that's a big IF -- I see no advantage of staying there over anywhere else in Jackson Hole. But this is one man's opinion. I would be curious what @denniShas to say. It's always a different perspective from those that live there.

10 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

That was also aboot the last time I was there. 

We were thinking about going to Yellowstone but our trip to California this year fell through so we will try again next year. 

• Heart 2

We went in December 2019. Never had the desire to go in the summer, probably because of the crowds. Although we didn’t see a lot of the interior we had some awesome xc skiing into the park. We will be driving through part of YS in a few weeks.

• Heart 3

8 hours ago, BR46 said:

Wo46 has never been there so we are taking about going to Yellowstone next year. 

I was there when I was 11 on a family vacation. 

This was me.  I think my great aunt and uncle took me and I was 12 (you reading this @Philander Seabury?).  It wasn't until last year when I took my wife (who had never been) at the ripe old age of 53 that I saw it again.  I did enjoy it.  A lot actually.  But like @Zackny ( @Gump) mentions, I'll never, ever get to see it again w/ so few people in it (height of covid) and while it was enjoyable -- it would not have been if it took us hours (and I'm not kidding) to travel just one segment of the park.  We had trouble finding parking for the grand prismatic and nobody was there.  But what that trip did was cement my memories from 40 years ago, and when we left, I realized that was probably the last time I'd be there and I felt totally ok with it.  I think I got what i was supposed to get going there.  I certainly know what the park has to offer and recommend everybody should visit it at least once in their lifetime.  It's not to be missed.  As @sheep_herder mentions, amazing wildlife and abundant wildlife.  You're not going to see an outdoor zoo quite like it -- well unless you head just south into GTNP. And you might find the it more beautiful.  And you might find it more awe inspiring.  And you might like the amenities nearby better.  And you might like town of Jackson better than West Yellowstone.  And you might like the biking better there too. But geothermal pools and blowing geysers you will not.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Dottles said:

This was me.  I think my great aunt and uncle took me and I was 12.  It wasn't until last year when I took my wife (who had never been) at the ripe old age of 53 that I saw it again.  I did enjoy it.  A lot actually.  But like @Zackny mentions, I'll never, ever get to see it again w/ so few people in it (height of covid) and while it was enjoyable -- it would not have been if it took us hours (and I'm not kidding) to travel just one segment of the park.  We had trouble finding parking for the grand prismatic and nobody was there.  But what that trip did was cement my memories from 40 years ago, and when we left, I realized that was probably the last time I'd be there and I felt totally ok with it.  I think I got what i was supposed to get going there.  I certainly know what the park has to offer and recommend everybody should visit it at least once in their lifetime.  It's not to be missed.  As @sheep_herder mentions, amazing wildlife and abundant wildlife.  You're not going to see an outdoor zoo quite like it -- well unless you head just south into GTNP. And you might find the it more beautiful.  And you might find it more awe inspiring.  And you might like the amenities nearby better.  And you might like Jackson better than West Yellowstone.  And you might like the biking better there too. But geothermal pools and blowing geysers you will not.

Our plan was to have the sidecar shipped to California and we would have one race bike and one street bike in the trailer. We we get to a certain area we would tour around on the motorcycle. We would take a 3 were tour of the west with a stop in California for a race. 

We wanted to do it this year but our son was not able to make the race in California so maybe next year. 

12 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

No one is inspired to watch Yellowstone.   :(

Kevin and I are very disappointed. Some of the ladies look rather nice in jeans.  

Wait, this is a movie that you’ve been blithering blathering aboot?  Never heared of it until now!

• 3 months later...
On 7/4/2021 at 8:52 PM, Dottles said:

Logistics and price points aren't enticing either.

If we're talking about the geographical location, it is this. I've priced out Yellowstone and Yellowstone adjacent places for visits and it's just cheaper to fly and stay somewhere in Europe. 

5 years ago we wanted a summer vacation in Denver. Planned for 8 days, started pulling resorts and flights. A week later we had a 13-day trip to France and Italy for less booked. 

If it's the Costner show. Ive watched the first season so far. It looked really good but I typically only watch an hour of TV a night. Not enough room to add it in 

35 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

If we're talking about the geographical location, it is this. I've priced out Yellowstone and Yellowstone adjacent places for visits and it's just cheaper to fly and stay somewhere in Europe. 

5 years ago we wanted a summer vacation in Denver. Planned for 8 days, started pulling resorts and flights. A week later we had a 13-day trip to France and Italy for less booked. 

If it's the Costner show. Ive watched the first season so far. It looked really good but I typically only watch an hour of TV a night. Not enough room to add it in 

You should have gone camping in the mountains near Denver.

On 7/4/2021 at 8:12 PM, shootingstar said:

I live in Canada and without a car..I have to plan stuff.  I would prefer to see the Grand Canyon first.

WoJSTL and I hope to go to the Grand Canyon in 2022. I lived in the next state over in New Mexico for 4 years but never took the opportunity to see the Grand Canyon.

1 minute ago, JerrySTL said:

WoJSTL and I hope to go to the Grand Canyon in 2022. I lived in the next state over in New Mexico for 4 years but never took the opportunity to see the Grand Canyon.

Maybe @Parr8hed want's a do-over and will meet you there???

• Heart 1