Are you part of a militia?

Dottleshead

Totally acceptable in my view — and legal —but my friend of ten years is now using words about my political “profile” and FBI “quotas” and “implants” and all sorts of “us versus them” jargon. I don’t know. Everything he talks to me about now is nothing but political and I’m torn between trying to be his friend and basically setting him free. It should be noted I hardly ever bring politics up with him but when I do it’s to banter with him. I’m not afraid to call out his bullshit and for a long time I think that’s why he’s liked me. In the past it’s been more fun than anything else but he has bought into what I classify as more extreme views than mine. That’s kind of an understatement. Like hugely. He has married, moved to another state, and cut all ties with this one. Fine but our discussions don’t need to be political all the time. Ten years were not all politics. Sounds like I need to let him go. Anybody else here a similar experience? Yeah I get this topic can inflame into something political but I’m just trying to cope with my loss I guess. It makes me sad that things have come to this. 

• Sad 4
  • Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Due to my job, clearances, level of information I am/was able to receive & such participation in any militia that wasn’t aligned with our govt was cause for termination or lack of clearance & access. 

Other than Active duty Army and Army reserves no. 

You were or weren’t?

19 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Totally acceptable in my view — and legal —but my friend of ten years is now using words about my political “profile” and FBI “quotas” and “implants” and all sorts of “us versus them” jargon. I don’t know. Everything he talks to me about now is nothing but political and I’m torn between trying to be his friend and basically setting him free. It should be noted I hardly ever bring politics up with him but when I do it’s to banter with him. I’m not afraid to call out his bullshit and for a long time I think that’s why he’s liked me. In the past it’s been more fun than anything else but he has bought into what I classify as more extreme views than mine. That’s kind of an understatement. Like hugely. He has married, moved to another state, and cut all ties with this one. Fine but our discussions don’t need to be political all the time. Ten years were not all politics. Sounds like I need to let him go. Anybody else here a similar experience? Yeah I get this topic can inflame into something political but I’m just trying to cope with my loss I guess. It makes me sad that things have come to this. 

Just say "Get lost Wilbur".  I will understand!  :) 

• Hugs 1

37 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Just say "Get lost Wilbur".  I will understand!  :) 

I have probably known you remotely for about as long. But we didn’t do a lot of bike riding together in the flesh and while I would be disappointed, sir, I would get over our blip on the radar. But he spent some quality time with me and the wife. I have a high tolerance of understanding but I don’t think there’s much I can do. I just gotta let it be. 

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

I have probably known you remotely for about as long. But we did a lot of bike riding together in the flesh and while I would be disappointed, sir, I would get over our blip on the radar. But he spent some quality time with me and the wife. I have a high tolerance of understanding but I don’t think there’s much I can do. I just gotta let it be. 

Sometimes you just have to sever the ties.  More than ever, if you want to make and keep friends, don't talk politics. 

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Awesome 1

28 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Is he on the watch list? Does he want to be?

Me:  

You ever hear of the Oath Keepers?

Him:

You do understand that this question, quote seriously, puts you into the FBI agent list, right?

Do you know that 90 percent of FBI operations in this country (also called domestic) are false flag implants produced by the FBI itself to justify their yearly reviews, in other words implants, even the leftist communists in Hollywood admit and have documented this via various subtle and not so subtle documentaries and insertions in otherwise unrelated movies and shows, they've done it with some less important Islamics, while they have missed the actual massive terror attacks such as the Boston Marathon bombing (which begs the question), did they not know, or did they let it happen, it seems to me they didn't actually know because they only know about their own implanted operations

But seriously, you ask questions that with your political profile makes you look like one of those implants

Me:

I read it here: https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/local/article254871912.html#storylink=mainstage

Maybe they can investigate the newspaper?

It’s part of the public domain.

My political profile? You crack me up.

56 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I'm sorry the friendship has to fall apart like this.  Let time pass. You can always check on him in a few yrs.  I've done this for friend or 2.....  actually 2 friendships are being each rejuvenated after 25-30 yrs. However we were alot younger than you and he parting now.  He may not even be on this earth when you check again.  Sorry..not to make it even sadder.

• Heart 1

29 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I tell all my friends right up front, I work for the FBI as a paid informant. You can't find a more solid basis for a peaceful relationship.

In China, even now, a person probably has to be careful not to be perceived and saying things overtly anti-govn't's line that could get you arrested.  In the 1960's-1970's, a friend, family member would be arrested, tortured, etc.  Several friends' family members have had this happen to them.

The situation in HK right now....is really serious now. One HK blogger used to post good posts about his photography, cycling always seemed abit cryptic even though he clearly loved his hobbies.  Now he has left HK permanently and immigrated with family to UK.  This is simply 2 bloggers visiting each other's blogs for new interesting posts. He must have viewed my blog as la-la-la land.

And now with Taiwan standing resolutely....it is potentially chilling.

• Sad 1

The divide in this country is growing deep and wide. It was a crack you could step across, straddle without much stress, switch sides at will if you chose.

It is becoming a chasm we can't communicate  across. We stand on the edge and shout, but all we hear is noise, and we shout back.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Further said:

The divide in this country is growing deep and wide. It was a crack you could step across, straddle without much stress, switch sides at will if you chose.

It is becoming a chasm we can't communicate  across. We stand on the edge and shout, but all we hear is noise, and we shout back.

In CAnada, covid has revealed some gaps even wider....so sad that life and death widens that chasm. :(  Proof, we can have all the "right" information, the most compelling information as proof that these people died unvaxxed...

However covid has for some people who may have been distant, become even closer. Friends and family who can see beyond petty grudges,, have become more appreciative of one another.  At least tolerant of the annoying. B)

32 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Sometimes you just have to sever the ties.  More than ever, if you want to make and keep friends, don't talk politics. 

Yeah...   

35 minutes ago, Dottles said:

But he spent some quality time with me and the wife.

WoBG and I spent a LOT of time with another couple.  More than a few years ago we had a discussion about politics.  We then agreed to never talk about politics again.

That worked for years...   But.. of course that untimely failed.  Some conversations were were just laced with microaggressions.  So... one day a few months ago we were done.  And that was it...

Sometimes you just move on.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

Yep hurts worse when it’s family. My uncle and his son live in northern Idaho. My uncle used to be a lot of fun. I used to joke when I saw Ron White performing that he stole my uncle’s act! 
His son is even more radical. I stopped following them on FB but still tell them Happy Birthday. They were civil when they came for dad’s funeral, but we didn’t talk a ton either. Even my brother who is much more conservative than I sent a photo to our cousin poking fun at his gun obsession. Never saw a response. 

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

Pretty sure I alluded to it.

(Been waiting all week to say alluded. Thanks.)

What to Know

Allude means to reference something indirectly. It is usually followed by to, as when one thing "alludes to" another. Elude, which shares the same origin as allude, means "to evade" or "to escape perception or understanding." To remember, keep in mind that elude starts with E, just like escape and evade.

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1