What's brown and goes Boom Cracka Lacka?

jsharr

28 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Any other damage? How old is the car? Sometimes a new windshield is nice.

No

Yes.  this windshield is pitted and needed to be replaced. Just didn’t want to pay $500. Should’ve had a lower glass coverage deductible and didn’t.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

No

Yes.  this windshield is pitted and needed to be replaced. Just didn’t want to pay $500. Should’ve had a lower glass coverage deductible and didn’t.

Isn’t it a great thing that you’re rich?  Pocket change.

• Heart 1

We used to have laws in Maryland requiring covers over hauled stuff and mud flats over large tires or when the body was raised high.

No more.

So one day I caught a rock flipped off the road and got a big crack in the windshield.  I happened to be about 5 minutes away from my agent's State Farm office, so I drove there and they arranged for me to drive to a shop the next morning and get it replaced.  I was lucky to have a $50 deductible.

So I spoke with the glass shop that State Farm assigned to the claim, Titan Glass  Their out the door price is 432.22.  They also had great Google reviews.

Called another shop with good Google reviews, Bill's Auto Glass and spoke to the owner I believe.  He does not deal with insurance.  His out the door price with aftermarket acoustic glass, same quality as OEM, but less expensive, is $400 cash and a bit more if I use a card.

Got a Safelite quotes based off VIN and it was $395 for economy service, but they have lots of add on charges apparently based on what Titan and Bill's Auto Glass had to say.

My deductible is $500, so I am going to save $100 and let Bill's do the install.  I am not upset about this, as the current windshield was pitted, as in a previous life the car had lived in New Mexico or Arizona and I think blowing sand did a number on it.

• Heart 1

On 3/18/2023 at 9:30 PM, Kirby said:

Very sorry to hear this, but glad it's just car damage and not damage to you.

It left a big dent in my wallet.  That $400 comes out of my play money and could have been a fun RC buggy instead.  We were on our way to the hobby shop when this happened.

• Sad 3
  • Hugs 1

On 3/18/2023 at 9:16 PM, MickinMD said:

We used to have laws in Maryland requiring covers over hauled stuff and mud flats over large tires or when the body was raised high.

No more.

So one day I caught a rock flipped off the road and got a big crack in the windshield.  I happened to be about 5 minutes away from my agent's State Farm office, so I drove there and they arranged for me to drive to a shop the next morning and get it replaced.  I was lucky to have a $50 deductible.

I had a rock come off a truck owned by Latimore Materials here in Dallas hit my old car.  I followed the truck to get license plate and truck number and called the company as I was following their truck to let them know what happened.  They sent their glass guy to my house to repair my windshield at no cost to me.  

This was debris that was already on the road.  It was not the fault of the driver that could not avoid it and kicked it up into the air.  If it actually came from the car, I would have followed the car and got a license plate, etc.  They did hit their brakes and slow down, but they did not stop, nor did I.

Glad you got your replaced for so little out of pocket.  I am calling my carrier today to see about changing our glass deductible.

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I had a rock come off a truck owned by Latimore Materials here in Dallas hit my old car.  I followed the truck to get license plate and truck number and called the company as I was following their truck to let them know what happened.  They sent their glass guy to my house to repair my windshield at no cost to me.  

This was debris that was already on the road.  It was not the fault of the driver that could not avoid it and kicked it up into the air.  If it actually came from the car, I would have followed the car and got a license plate, etc.  They did hit their brakes and slow down, but they did not stop, nor did I.

Glad you got your replaced for so little out of pocket.  I am calling my carrier today to see about changing our glass deductible.

A woman I used to know had a 2x4 kicked up by a truck. It smashed through her windshield, LUCKILY hit the interior roof BEFORE hitting her in the forehead.  Likely, if it hit her directly in the forehead, she'd have died.  As it was, she was messed up for a while.

The old CRX had a heavy metal doodad come off a truck, smash through the windshield, and land in the back "seat" area.  That could have killed too.  Crazy shit.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Uninsured drivers? 

Is it possible to get normal auto coverage that doesn't carry the windshield coverage?

I can't get glass coverage in WY. I'm not aware of an insurance company that offers it here. I'd say about 20-30% of the cars around here have cracked windshields.

A friend of mine cracked his on the way home from the dealership. Six years later, it's still cracked.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

39 minutes ago, dinneR said:

I can't get glass coverage in WY. I'm not aware of an insurance company that offers it here. I'd say about 20-30% of the cars around here have cracked windshields.

A friend of mine cracked his on the way home from the dealership. Six years later, it's still cracked.

I guess insurance is state to state and regulated as such.  We have "safety" and "emission" inspections.  I bet that as part of the hoop for having safety inspections, they have to also push having windshields in good repair, and thus push the cost onto the insurance companies (and back to the consumer) to deal with it?

19 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I guess insurance is state to state and regulated as such.  We have "safety" and "emission" inspections.  I bet that as part of the hoop for having safety inspections, they have to also push having windshields in good repair, and thus push the cost onto the insurance companies (and back to the consumer) to deal with it?

In MN, I think glass coverage was $1 every six months and was required. They outlawed the free gifts glass companies used to hand out. 

1 hour ago, dinneR said:

So I called and it was not expensive to add zero deductible glass coverage.  $5 per car per month.  My windshield cost me $400, so it seems a good deal to me.  

17 minutes ago, jsharr said:

So I called and it was not expensive to add zero deductible glass coverage.  $5 per car per month.  My windshield cost me $400, so it seems a good deal to me.  

When I moved to WY, I called to switch my car insurance to the new address. Jake from State Farm said I would lose my glass coverage. I had a cracked windshield. I said can we hold off for a week. I had the windshield replaced at no additional cost and then changed my address. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

So I spoke with the glass shop that State Farm assigned to the claim, Titan Glass  Their out the door price is 432.22.  They also had great Google reviews.

Called another shop with good Google reviews, Bill's Auto Glass and spoke to the owner I believe.  He does not deal with insurance.  His out the door price with aftermarket acoustic glass, same quality as OEM, but less expensive, is $400 cash and a bit more if I use a card.

Got a Safelite quotes based off VIN and it was $395 for economy service, but they have lots of add on charges apparently based on what Titan and Bill's Auto Glass had to say.

My deductible is $500, so I am going to save $100 and let Bill's do the install.  I am not upset about this, as the current windshield was pitted, as in a previous life the car had lived in New Mexico or Arizona and I think blowing sand did a number on it.

I have done the Safelite thing.  If you go to them and get the knock off glass it can be pretty reasonable.  If they come to you with factory glass yeah it can get spendy.  I cracked the windshield on my Subie and went to Safelite.  I got the non factory glass and went to them and it was pretty reasonable.

I may go back to them as I got tagged by a rock and the glass is scalloped.  It doesn’t appear to be growing but I should have it repaired.

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have done the Safelite thing.  If you go to them and get the knock off glass it can be pretty reasonable.  If they come to you with factory glass yeah it can get spendy.  I cracked the windshield on my Subie and went to Safelite.  I got the non factory glass and went to them and it was pretty reasonable.

I may go back to them as I got tagged by a rock and the glass is scalloped.  It doesn’t appear to be growing but I should have it repaired.

I used Safelite too. They came to my work, replaced it pretty quickly, and gave me a can of windshield cleaner that has been bouncing around the back of my car for 6 years.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

So I used the online Safelite quote tool.  They came in at $395 for their "economy" service.  I have been told they charge an install fee and a glass disposal fee and my final price would be higher.  I called two local shops and was quoted an out the door price just slightly above the Safelit quote.  The first shop I called is installing the glass at my office this week for $400 cash.

• Heart 1

So after speaking with two shops and getting a quote for Safelite, I called my insurance company and cancelled the claim.  Went with Bill's Auto Glass of Plano.  $400 for aftermarket acoustic glass.  Guy was at my office less than half an hour total.  His parking card was time stamped 10:45 and at 11:11 he called to tell me he was done.   I did not even leave my office until after his 10:45 call to let me know he was here.  I was really impressed by the company I went with.  Seemed honest and straight forward.  It is nice to have a new windshield, as the old was pitted and hard to see out of in bright sun at times.

On 3/21/2023 at 6:54 AM, Square Wheels said:

Do you have a HUD?  I do, and the glass shop refused to put anything other than OEM.  I'd read that it might not work well, if at all, without OEM.  In MA, it was part of our insurance, covered at 100%.

No.  I do not have any sensors, except whatever makes the rearview and side mirrors dim and something called a humidity sensor, but I am pretty sure that is inside the car and does not "look" out.  No lane departure or any of that.  I do have acoustic glass and I went back with acoustic glass but I did not go with OEM glass.   Now that I have zero deductible glass coverage I may break this one and get OEM glass put back in.

• Haha 1

On 3/20/2023 at 2:42 PM, jsharr said:

If you expect to change your windshield glass every 7 years or less, yes it is. I’ve only needed two windshields to be serviced in my 36 years of driving, though.