A thread about states in a different vein

Dirtyhip

State is a broad term for me as my state is huge.  I’ll say Coastal SoCal and it’s the weather & the beach.   I don’t know if I could live too far from where I am as the micro climates are severe here.

I left my sisters house about 30 miles away Sat afternoon & it was 94 & sunny.  I got home to 74 & overcast. 

Mountains, rivers, lakes, the Bay, the Atlantic. A lot of history, good food, vineyards and wineries, and very nice people. Caveat: @Dottleshead will call me out on this if I don’t mention that our mountains are not your mountains. They are older and therefore smaller. We like them anyway.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

Mountains, rivers, lakes, the Bay, the Atlantic. A lot of history, good food, vineyards and wineries, and very nice people. Caveat: @Dottleshead will call me out on this if I don’t mention that our mountains are not your mountains. They are older and therefore smaller. We like them anyway.

Your mountains are more like big hills!  

• Like 1

The variety.  NY has a major city with all the benefits (and drawbacks) that go along with that, including good jobs, excellent medical facilities and history, but it also has lots of beautiful countryside.  The rolling farmlands in the Catskills, the Adirondacks, the beautiful finger lakes and beaches on a Great Lake.  It has ritzy, if you want ritzy, and casual if that's what you prefer.  Also love the variety in people and cultures.  Any big city has troublemakers, but NYC also has a lot of good people who have helped me more than once.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Your mountains are more like big hills!  

We don't even have big hills.    IL is the second flattest state. 

I like that my retirement income is not taxed by the state. But that could change.  :(

Other than that...  the politicians have screwed up our state.    I'll never go back to Chicago for anything.   

35 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

State is a broad term for me as my state is huge.  I’ll say Coastal SoCal and it’s the weather & the beach.   I don’t know if I could live too far from where I am as the micro climates are severe here.

I left my sisters house about 30 miles away Sat afternoon & it was 94 & sunny.  I got home to 74 & overcast. 

How cute....

• Whatever 1

1 minute ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

It’s all we have. 

And they are beautiful!

Just now, Razors Edge said:

And we invite anyone in the Cafe to come join us for a ride in those "hills".  :D  BWAHAHA.

Oh I have driven through your big hills!  I’ll pass…

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

Water, lots of water, and great shorelines. As well as many other great nature areas & parks.

And we went to war with Ohio and won.  They had to take Toledo.  We got the UP in the deal.

Only a cow was killed in the brutal conflict.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

People hate it, so many clueless tourists stay away.  (OK, they're at the beach, nowhere near me)

I dislike the I95 corridor but the beaches and areas west of I95 are pretty awesome.  I really like the whole Morris (town/ville/county area.  Didn't really care for Jerset City or even Trenton itself. 

4 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Tell me what you love about your state.

I'll go first.  We have mountains and ocean.  There is low population density in much of the state.  I approve of our leaders stance on the environment, 

Maryland is split by the Chesapeake Bay into a Eastern Shore and a Western Shore.  The Eastern Shore is mostly small towns and rural country plus some towns from which oystering and crabbing is big. It has the Atlantic Ocean on its East, where Ocean City is the state's big resort town.

The Western Shore is mostly flat land with tributaries running into the Bay until you get to the Appalachian Mountains in the Western panhandle of the State.

The population density in the Baltimore-Washington corridor is high and is part of the mostly high density population running north to Boston, the whole area sometimes called "Boswash."  The population density is relatively low on the Eastern Shore, along the Mason-Dixon Line: the border between Maryland and Pennsylvania and Maryland and Delaware, in Western Maryland and parts of Southern Maryland.

The state is considered a Blue State, but it's a somewhat conservative Blue State where Republican Governors are not rare.  The state usually has the highest avg. income in the nation and also relatively high costs of living. It's among the highest educated and has excellent healthcare: the U.S. has spent millions studying Maryland's Emergency/Shock-Trauma Health Care System and we've got Johns Hopkins Hospital.

One reason for the higher standard of living is that the smartest thing Maryland ever did was donate the land for the Nation's Capital.  As a result there are a significant number of people with stable and good-paying federal and state jobs with pensions due to a lot of government facilities in Maryland including Social Security Headquarters, the very-large Fort Meade that includes the National Security Agency and the National Institutes of Health.

We have so much available: natural springs and swimming holes galore, white sand beaches, emerald waters, towering skyscrapers, and sleepy, kitschy beach towns. The mouse has its largest house here, Universal put all the cool parks here, five very large cruise ship ports, and rockets blast off almost weekly that you can track and watch from practically anywhere. We have 13 Division I Universities and a booming tech corridor between Tampa and Orlando. We have amazing sports teams that are successful more often than not within easy viewing, the Tampa Bay Lightning (F***k yeah!), Buccaneers, and Rays.

On a personal level, we have one of the best standalone cancer hospitals in the country. 

There is a lot to love about my state and I actively partake in most of it.

• Heart 1

Pa. Has lots of public land for hiking and biking, fishing and hunting. The mountains aren’t huge, and the lakes are small, but they are assessable and fun.

The weather is reasonably good, summer is a bit humid but bearable, winter is unpredictable but so far no crazy shit. Seldom have tornadoes or extreme events, the flooding that we have is predictable, just don’t live in a floodplain.

Housing cost is reasonable, social programs are reasonable, politics are all over the board. I’m told taxes are high but I really don’t notice it, I like having a safety net.

All in all, pretty good living 

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I dislike the I95 corridor but the beaches and areas west of I95 are pretty awesome.  I really like the whole Morris (town/ville/county area.  Didn't really care for Jerset City or even Trenton itself. 

Yup, we west Jersey people are in drive over country instead of fly over. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

Sounds enchanting!

It has to be because the travesties of living here can be a little overwhelming. 

Someone shot another person over a seat dispute in the theater complex where we had been watching a movie on Sunday. Our movie was long since over, but it’s still creepy. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Someone shot another person over a seat dispute in the theater complex where we had been watching a movie on Sunday. Our movie was long since over, but it’s still creepy. 

Seems reasonable.  Why carry if you don't also use?  I hope the two were both equally armed to really keep it fair.

7 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

It has to be because the travesties of living here can be a little overwhelming. 

Yeah, that is Shirley worth screwing up your life over. :wacko: Sheesh!

On 6/26/2023 at 11:19 AM, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

I like 'em. A lot of character.  Plus the white steeples all around as a backdrop make me want to turn 16 again and meet some hot chick. I know.  It's just an excuse to turn 16 again and meet some hot chick.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1