Earl is spensive

jsharr

Took the Chrysler in for an oil change yesterday morning. It uses 6 quarts of oil and has a canister style top mount oil filter. Those two things add a bit of money to an oil change. It was right at $100 out the door. I remember when oil changes were closer to 20 bucks.

• Heart 3
  • Sad 2
  • Hugs 1

33 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Took the Chrysler in for an oil change yesterday morning. It uses 6 quarts of oil and has a canister style top mount oil filter. Those two things add a bit of money to an oil change. It was right at $100 out the door. I remember when oil changes were closer to 20 bucks.

4 quarts and a filter $95.  SYNTHETIC 

• Heart 1

Yeah that’s about the going rate for synthetic.  I bought a service plan with the Mazda.  The oil changes averaged out less than Jiffy Lube but then you have to deal with all of the other added service they try to sell you on.  But I guess Jiffy Lube does that too…

24 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

10 quarts of 0-20w full synthetic at Costco, $30. Filter $10. Car uses 4.8 quarts per change. Two earl changes for $25 each. It’s cheaper to do it yourself. 

I though the difference was much less, at least when buying at Advanced Auto or Auto zone.  That is a pretty darn dirt cheap price!

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

5 1/2 quarts of full synthetic and an oil filter is about $30-$35 for me.  I do it myself.  I can count on one had the number of times I've paid someone to change my oil.  Some things I just hate paying for.  Although, it is getting a tad bit harder to do than it was about 30 years ago.

• Like 1

Everything is expensive these days. I'm dropping off the new motorcycle this week for it's overdue 300 mile valve adjustment, oil change and overall first checkup. Three hours labor and two and a half quarts of synthetic oil = 720 dollars. :dontknow: All stuff I can do myself, if it weren't for the three year unlimited mileage factory warranty.  

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, a bunch of numbers said:

I do it myself.

I used to do it myself.  I gave up... and just pay. 

I remember what happened to old motor oil before it became a hazardous waste that needed to be properly disposed.   

Saving the oil to be recycled (been there done that..) wasn't too bad to do.  But it's just more thing to do.   

I pay the guy... they deal with all of the laws and get rid of the old oil  (trans fluid, differential fluid, brake fluid, etc...) 

• Heart 2

14 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I used to do it myself.  I gave up... and just pay. 

I remember what happened to old motor oil before it became a hazardous waste that needed to be properly disposed.   

Saving the oil to be recycled (been there done that..) wasn't too bad to do.  But it's just more thing to do.   

I pay the guy... they deal with all of the laws and get rid of the old oil  (trans fluid, differential fluid, brake fluid, etc...) 

Sort'a the way I feel.

• Heart 1

I used to change the oil myself until there was not enough clearance to get under the car to do it, and when I moved to AZ.  The 2003 Honda Accord was when I stopped changing it. I may have changed the oil in the 2002 Wrangler, but I am not sure.  Getting rid of the oil became a pain too

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

I used to change the oil myself until there was not enough clearance to get under the car to do it, and when I moved to AZ.  The 2003 Honda Accord was when I stopped changing it. I may have changed the oil in the 2002 Wrangler, but I am not sure.  Getting rid of the oil became a pain too

My 2003 Accord is also a beotch to change one of the headlights.  A lift or even a quick way to get under a car without dragging out the jacks and blocks would be nice. 

15 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Could old oil be burned in a homes furnace?  Growing up, we had the "oil" truck come by every so often in the winter to top us off.  I wonder if you could mix in some motor oil and call it a wash?

23 hours ago, jsharr said:

Full synthetic 6 quarts and filter here

I'm wondering about going synthetic for the truck, but haven't put much thought into it yet - both to determine what's in it now, and what I might gain by going full synthetic. :dontknow: WWP8D ( @Parr8hed) is my mantra!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Ramps

Yeah - I like those but just ONE MORE DAMN THING that I would use once a year :(  I'm trying to streamline, not collect anymore!

I had a great neighbor for a few years.  He did track days with his car regularly, so was always putzing around fiddling with it. He had tools and equipment, and he would jump at the chance to help out with anything car related.  When he moved, I lost a lot of easy car repair help.

• Heart 3

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

My 2003 Accord is also a beotch to change one of the headlights.  A lift or even a quick way to get under a car without dragging out the jacks and blocks would be nice. 

Could old oil be burned in a homes furnace?  Growing up, we had the "oil" truck come by every so often in the winter to top us off.  I wonder if you could mix in some motor oil and call it a wash?

I'm wondering about going synthetic for the truck, but haven't put much thought into it yet - both to determine what's in it now, and what I might gain by going full synthetic. :dontknow: WWP8D ( @Parr8hed) is my mantra!

I would expect synthetic from the factory 

• Heart 1

On 7/23/2023 at 12:09 PM, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

10 quarts of 0-20w full synthetic at Costco, $30. Filter $10. Car uses 4.8 quarts per change. Two earl changes for $25 each. It’s cheaper to do it yourself. 

Possibly, but I consider the sweat in the garage and the crawling around the tiny assed engine bays that my Civic and CR-V as savings enough to pay someone else to fuck with them.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

##Oh for cryin' out loud, what else have you got to do?? Drag em out and get to work. 😋

##Give it a try and let us know how that works out for you. 😆

I'm wondering about going synthetic for the truck, but haven't put much thought into it yet - both to determine what's in it now, and what I might gain by going full synthetic.

## If it doesn't call for synthetic , don't waste the money.

@Parr8hed

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm not dumping oil into my gas furnace.   :dontknow:

I've never seen an oil truck here in IL for heating a home.  I had to look...   0.15% of the homes use oil for heat in IL.   link     77% of the homes in IL use natural gas for heat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I might need to check.  I think the app shows over 50% "life" still, so gonna be many more months until the oil change.

If it is synthetic, then's that's where we will go. :D

Can't imagine using anything but synthetic in a 'new' pickup. Hell I use Mobil 1 in our 1997 Dodge Ram.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

31 minutes ago, smudge said:

##Oh for cryin' out loud, what else have you got to do?? Drag em out and get to work. 😋

Ha!

Plenty. And all of it more fun :D

No one ever said, on their deathbed, I wish I did more oil changes :)  @BR46 might, but we won't know for another 50 yrs or so.

• Hugs 1

38 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Ha!

Plenty. And all of it more fun :D

No one ever said, on their deathbed, I wish I did more oil changes :)  @BR46 might, but we won't know for another 50 yrs or so.

Chances are you will not have to wait 50 years. 

In 50 years I'll be 112 

• Hugs 1

My dad borrowed my F350 for a few months while his truck was getting worked on.  He had it serviced for me as a payment.  Oil and filter (synthetic) and both fuel filters and taar rotation.  (have to do fuel filters every other oil change on a diesel).  

That was 400 bucks. 

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Could old oil be burned in a homes furnace?

When I used to work at a trucking/construction company we had a used oil burning furnace in one of the truck garages.  It took a lot of maintenance.  Sometimes towards the end of winter we'd run out of used oil.  I still take some of my used oil there, it's only about 4 miles down the road.

Back around 2014, I got my first approximately annual synthetic oil chance for my Honda Fit.  They charged me $60 for 5 qt. of oil when it was around $18-$20 at Walmart.

This year, I paid $28.59 including sales tax for 5 qt. of Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic 0W-20 motor oil and took it in with me to Precision Tune to have my oil changed.  They charged me $42.99, including sales tax, for an oil change and new filter for my Honda Fit early in July.  That's at least $10 more than the last oil change over a year ago.

Fortunately, I only need to do it about once a year or so if I drive 9K miles of less.