ChrisL

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I’m listening to a playlist of New Wave hits from 1981 and it’s giving me some nice and not so nice memories.

In 1981 I was a freshman/sophomore in HS.  My dad was dealing with terminal cancer & died that June.  I spent the summer surfing nearly every day while my mom dealt with her grief by leaving for Holland. I basically lived alone much of that year and truth be told my mom never really was herself until after I left for the Army.  

My cousins would hang out and we would live like teenage bachelors, eating crap, fishing, surfing, listening to music and basically goofing off.  

Any key memories from the year 1981?

Sorry about the loss of your dad but glad you had that outlet to deal with it.   I used to go run to deal with shit and then I used to go for a hammer fest on a bike once I discovered road bikes.  Now I eat.  Need to get back to the old ways

What is your favorite 80s' band?

Mine were Depeche Mode, Echo and the Bunnymen,  YAZ, B-52s, 

• Heart 3

6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Sorry about the loss of your dad but glad you had that outlet to deal with it.   I used to go run to deal with shit and then I used to go for a hammer fest on a bike once I discovered road bikes.  Now I eat.  Need to get back to the old ways

OMG I don’t know that I could pick one.  Heavy on my turntable was English Beat, The Specials, Madness, The Jam, Police, (I was really into the Ska movement).  But I liked the Pretenders, Clash, Tears For Fears… Once I left for the Army I listened to more rock & classic rock.

I think I was kinda like @groupw who had really diverse music interests. But in 1981 it was heavy ska.  

22 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I’m listening to a playlist of New Wave hits from 1981 and it’s giving me some nice and not so nice memories.

In 1981 I was a freshman/sophomore in HS.  My dad was dealing with terminal cancer & died that June.  I spent the summer surfing nearly every day while my mom dealt with her grief by leaving for Holland. I basically lived alone much of that year and truth be told my mom never really was herself until after I left for the Army.  

My cousins would hang out and we would live like teenage bachelors, eating crap, fishing, surfing, listening to music and basically goofing off.  

I think that's the year Reagan was shot.

17 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I have tickets to see Echo in June. I saw them three times in the 80s.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Beat and then General Public were awesome.  Anything from Factor was pretty badass.   I was into Rockabilly along with new wave.  The Blaster, The Polecats, The Rave Ups.  Also into Devo and The Tubes 

I saw the Blasters live in 83 or 84 (pre army).  They were awesome! 

• Heart 1

Without me searching the 'Net, I don't even remember the music then. I did play the radio then.

I was in 3rd yr. university but had transferred my studies, to a different university west of my home city.  So it was adjusting living away from home and with my Malaysian-Chinese room mate who was doing her music major, with minor in math (not surprising blend), plus hanging out  with rich peers from Hong Kong on campus.  They lived in such a different world than I.  I started to volunteer work for a few hrs./wk. off-campus, at a resource centre for info. on Third World countries..history, current affairs. 

I needed to expand my brain, from a fairly conservative, at that time, Anglo city....very different from my home city, German-Mennonite.

• Heart 1

My great aunt had given my mom a box of used Harlequin romance novels, so I read romance novels and went swimming all summer long. That’s about all I remember from ‘81. My first year of high school and the debate team, too. 

• Heart 2

81 I was into Ska, New Wave, starting into Rockabilly and just music that wasn’t over produced. I was waiting tables at Valentino’s and had just started dating the soon to be WoW by the end of the summer. I would drive to Dustys Records in Kearney every payday to buy 2 LP’s.

Dusty often had things waiting for me on the counter and never steered me wrong. I went to work for him when he opened his 2nd store. 

• Heart 3

16 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I turned 11 in 1981.  Not too much to remember other than just being a kid.  What grade is 11? I think the end of 5th grade for me, so in 1981, I was changing from elementary (Penn Valley) 5th grade  to middle school (St Margaret's) for 6th in the fall.  That was pretty big, I guess.  Meeting a bunch of new kids.  It was pretty fun.

• Heart 2

17 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I was living on the funny farm with my wife and son Daniel. It was similar to the Hainey place but with a much bigger house and wonderful privacy. I have many fond memories from living on that farm. We adopted our second son John while living there.

• Awesome 1
  • Like 1

I graduated HS in '81.  I was fired in May from the gas station I worked at for giving discounts on gas to a girl I liked so I spent the summer dicking around before goring to college.  I had a friend who had a job inventorying repossed cars.  He'd pocket the weed he'd find.  We had a lot of free weed that summer.

As far a music goes, The new wave music I liked included Blondie, Devo, XTC and Peter Gabriel.  The hippie music I like was Neil Young and the Grateful Dead.   The Blues Brother's sound track was on heavy rotation too.

17 hours ago, jsharr said:

Also into Devo

A couple years later, my friends and saw Devo at the Fox Theater in Detroit.  The theater was constructed before the depression and is very ornate.

image.thumb.png.731f6de95e674825bf1b4fc3b4a84db5.png

We were seated on the far side the 4th or 5th row.  For some reason no one else was in our row.  As you an see, the stage is flanked by a Buddha on either side of the stage.  During the song, ‘Jocko Homo’, the ‘Are We Not Men? We Are Devo’ song, the lights went down and the band kept playing.  Then a spot light flipped on and shown on the lead, Mark Mothersbaugh, reclining in the lap of the Buddha that was right in front of us.   He started singing the, ‘Are we not men?’  part and the audience would respond, ‘We are Devo’.  Great fun.

He then climbed down off Buddha and went into the audience.  He probably chose our row because it was mostly empty.  He ran down our row and when he got to me sang, ‘Are we not men?’ then put the mic to my face and I sang back, ‘We are Devo’.  He continued down the row did the same with my friend.  It was probably the best concert moment of my life.

• Awesome 3
  • Haha 1

On 2/8/2024 at 5:40 PM, ChrisL said:

1981 is the reason I don't consider gold to be a good investment and is why I distrust any of the lying bastards advertising gold for sale.

I remember that gold hit $831 in 1981 and there used to be a TV commercial where a man looked down from a skyscraper window on Wall Street and said, "$2000 an ounce for gold. Can you imagine?"

I told friends, "If gold is going up to $2000 soon, why does that guy want to sell it to us for $831?  If society collapses, how long do you think you'll life after rogues learn you're buying things with gold?"

It took several decades, but that $831 ounce of gold is worth a near-record $2037.30 right now.

Of course, if you had put that $831 in an S&P 500 Index Fund, it would be worth $33,112 now.

I think of that 1981 ad when I see that coin ad today where you can get a coin for $9.95 that is "clad in 14 mg of pure gold" but buy now: the price of gold is changing and $9.95 can't be guaranteed.

Since there are 28,350 mg per oz, that's 14/28350 oz and worth $1.01.  Yeah, the price of gold is going to make a big difference in the price!

I turned 9 in 1981.  I remember '82 as the year I started listening to "my own" music (and bought my first albums), so 1981 was my last year of always just hearing the same station my parents listened to.  

Not much in the way of specific memories - I guess 1982 would have spanned 4th and 5th grade, with my two favorite elementary school teachers, Mrs. Sheldon and Mrs. Schultz.

• Heart 2