When putting an offer on a house, do you

SuzieQ

I don't trust realtors for buying or for selling, realtors are evil.:ph34r: I did have one good experience buying with a realtor. I had a horrible experience selling with one and I missed out on a house I wanted to buy because my realtor wanted me to use her mortgage broker and they failed to come through. That said in my case I can say that things worked out for good and I love my house. It made for an interesting time when I had sold my houses and the week before I was to be out of my house I got word that I didn't get the house I was trying to get through that broker.

• Heart 1

31 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

How come when you pull out of a deal there is a deposit coming back? Is not the whole idea of a deposit that it does NOT come back to you, it was a sign of your commitment?

It's called Earnest money. Put down as a sign that you are serious about the offer. If you make an offer on a $400,000 house and put Earnest money of $1000 you are not serious. Just blasting offers across the land. The money does not go to the seller but an escrow account. It is refundable if no deal is reached. Or if a deal is reached but one of the contingencies is not reached. Say in the offer sheet you put in  must pass septic test. It gets tested later and the septic is all blown to heck. You get your Earnest money back. Where you don't get your Earnest money back is when the buyer pulls out for a reason not listed in the offer sheet. Say things are progressing and all contingencies are dealt with. Week before closing buyer decides they can't live next to a messy neighbor. Pulls out. No refund

• Heart 2

It's been 20 years since we had to buy/sell. At the time, we used a cut rate realtor. Not because they only took 3.5%, but because he was the only one that worked for us. Other realtors wanted us to just take a low price and walk away. Bob said if we did this, this, and that, he could get us "X" price which was $10-15K higher than any other realtor was trying for. It was only going to take a couple thousand and a few weekends to get it there. He got us that price and also caught a couple odd things in the house we bought and made sure they were handled correctly. 

Sadly, he passed away a few years later. I do IT work at a few realtors. I can't think of one I would want to sell my home when the time comes....

When I bought the house I'm in, the realtor told me my offer was too low and I'd have to offer more if I wanted them to take me seriously.  I told her to submit the offer.  They came back asking just $2000 more and I took it.  She told me she was surprised they sold it for that amount.  But, of course she wanted me to offer more... the more it goes for, the more she makes.

Before we both the house here in Tx, we made the realtor take us to many many many homes to scope them out in our hood. I nit piced every house until I found the right one. Once we found one that worked I made her pull comps for the homes around ours to see what the price should really be.

We even looked ourselves at the prices and pulled our own (what we thought) the comps would be. We were not that far off from the ones she gave us. 

I asked my realtor about showing me the house I'm in now. She said she wouldn't show it to me. She said " You don't want that house ". I ended up renting the house for three months until the realtor's contract was up, then I bought the house directly from the owner. Win win

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

We later heard they sold the house, but for about $20,000 less than our offer.

It's not like you to gloat, but go ahead.....

The realtor was getting almost shriekingly hysterical:  "What are you going to do if you lose this house???“ "Uh, find another one? I found this one, didn't I?" Last I knew, it wasn't the only one on the market....."

She must have known exactly where the line was because she toed it, but never crossed it. Pushing me into something is NOT a good sales strategy. "The easiest way to get you to do something is to tell you NOT to" - The One Who Knows Me Best. ?

• Heart 3

4 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Easiest way to get you to do something is to tell you NOT to" - 

Lol, that's how I became a hippie. People that it wasn't any of their business how long my hair was kept telling me I had to get my hair cut or else. I guess I showed them.    

IMG_1509.JPG

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

Well offer is in :mellow: pretty scary.  I need a go fund me page.  I think they may be pissed, but oh well, all they can say is no way, or come back with a counter.  I offered $10 000 below their asking, but I have done my homework.  They don't want to lose money - they bought 5 years ago - but they house is not worth what they are asking.  I may go up a few grand.  

I have my fingers crossed for you!  Let me know if you need a hand with the move, I work for beer (or Zima), but you probably already know that!

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Rick5234 said:

When I bought the house I'm in, the realtor told me my offer was too low and I'd have to offer more if I wanted them to take me seriously.  I told her to submit the offer.  They came back asking just $2000 more and I took it.  She told me she was surprised they sold it for that amount.  But, of course she wanted me to offer more... the more it goes for, the more she makes.

Also the more assured she is of getting the deal.

Suzy..it depends on the market..how long is it taking for homes to sell..how many buyers are out there and how badly they want to move.  I bought high (14 years ago)...prices went up about 2 more years and then tanked....being a condo...and LOCATION..TRAINS...LOCATION (okay no whistles but still...trains and they make noise)...things are not yet back to 2004 prices...but hey...

Good Luck....

Well got word they already have an accepted offer but will take the highest offer that comes in by 5pm today.  After much back and forth I upped my offer to what I think it's worth for me.  This whole this sucks and is super stressful as I have to be out by end of July, I also have my mother's upcoming surgery to deal with and of course all the usual business stuff going on.  I just want to go for a walk in the woods with Nixie and take a nap!

• Heart 2

14 minutes ago, SuzieQ said:

Well got word they already have an accepted offer but will take the highest offer that comes in by 5pm today.  After much back and forth I upped my offer to what I think it's worth for me.  This whole this sucks and is super stressful as I have to be out by end of July, I also have my mother's upcoming surgery to deal with and of course all the usual business stuff going on.  I just want to go for a walk in the woods with Nixie and take a nap!

Scope out a good spot to pitch a tent while you're out there!  August and September are good months to be homeless.

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

Well got word they already have an accepted offer but will take the highest offer that comes in by 5pm today.

Interesting.

They already have an accepted offer, but they are still taking other offers until 5. 

I'm guessing that means they have an offer they like but don't have to commit to it until 5.  I suppose they could always use the 'attorney approval' clause to wiggle out of any offer they've already signed to take a better one.

SuzieQ, if you have to be out by the end of July I would suggest starting to look for someplace to stay in the meantime.  You've only got about 10 weeks until then, which is a remarkably short time for applying for a mortgage and wading through all the paperwork to get to a closing - assuming everything goes perfectly.

I apologize, as I'm not trying to add to your stress, but based on the closings here in NY I've been to they usually take 10 - 12 weeks if everything goes well.  I'd suggest having a contingency plan for a place to stay for 2 - 4 weeks while the lawyers and realtors haggle through the process.

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Interesting.

They already have an accepted offer, but they are still taking other offers until 5. 

I'm guessing that means they have an offer they like but don't have to commit to it until 5.  I suppose they could always use the 'attorney approval' clause to wiggle out of any offer they've already signed to take a better one.

SuzieQ, if you have to be out by the end of July I would suggest starting to look for someplace to stay in the meantime.  You've only got about 10 weeks until then, which is a remarkably short time for applying for a mortgage and wading through all the paperwork to get to a closing - assuming everything goes perfectly.

I apologize, as I'm not trying to add to your stress, but based on the closings here in NY I've been to they usually take 10 - 12 weeks if everything goes well.  I'd suggest having a contingency plan for a place to stay for 2 - 4 weeks while the lawyers and realtors haggle through the process.

5 hours ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Scope out a good spot to pitch a tent while you're out there!  August and September are good months to be homeless.

Problem solved.

When I was moving to the area I am in now to be closer to work and unload my rental properties I found a buyer for one of my houses.  That's when I made an offer that was accepted on a house in this area.  The realtor I was using wanted me to use her mortgage broker, said she could save me a lot of money.  The seller was going to Europe for the summer so we had to close before school was out. In the mean time I sold the other property and had to be out by the end of June.  The mortgage broker fiddle-farted around and didn't get me a mortgage and we ran out of time. I had rented a cabin at the lake for the third week of June.  Here we are with two weeks to find a house and move and a vacation that we all had looked forward to and paid for so I said screw it, we are going to the cabin we will worry about finding a place when we get back. We had a great vacation that made memories and came home to start looking for a house to move into at the end of the week.  We found an old farm house that the owner said we could rent until we could get a house.  While we were looking at the farmhouse a guy I worked with came by and stopped to tell me that the owner of the house I wanted my realtor to show me but she refused had told him that I could rent his house.  We started moving in that day and three months later he sold us the house.  I love this house.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Interesting.

I have already warned both of my kids!  Problem is they are both close to an hour away from the studio, so a lot of driving, getting home late etc. but at least it's an option.  I would put my stuff into storage and just take what I need.  

• Heart 1