What the heck am I doing?

Dirtyhip

15 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Any tips, parents?  HAHA

I'd recommend the first session be much more about teaching her discipline, rather than actually learning to ride.  Show her your fleet of bikes, hand her a pail of soapy water, a hose, and other cleaning implements.  Get her to really clean the heck out of your bikes. Then, a really nice coat of wax for each too, using the proper application, removal, & buffing technique. 

You gotta built their mind and their focus first!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I'd recommend the first session be much more about teaching her discipline, rather than actually learning to ride.  Show her your fleet of bikes, hand her a pail of soapy water, a hose, and other cleaning implements.  Get her to really clean the heck out of your bikes. Then, a really nice coat of wax for each too, using the proper application, removal, & buffing technique. 

You are wrong!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

Make it fun and keep it fun.  Figure out quickly her makeup.  If she is competitive add some competition (and let her win).  If she like to goof off - goof off with her.  You have time set aside.  Make it her time.  If she is done after 10 minutes, you are done.  If she is done after 30 minutes, you are done.  Do not try to convince her to do more than she wants or the fun is gone and you won't get her back.  If you try to bribe her for a few more minutes the fun is gone and you won't get her back.  You can't think like her but you can figure out what she is thinking about.

• Heart 1

36 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I may have gone insane.

My co-worker has this little girl.  She Is about 7, I believe.  She wants to learn to ride and she is not learning with her Mom and Dad.  She has some behavior problems and a temper.  This little girl feels like a failure.  She has trouble riding her bike and is very fearful.  She actually wrote in a recent school report about what a failure she is on the bike.  Yes, she actually wrote about how she wants to ride like her sister, but she is a failure.  Wow.  Poor thing.

I am going to pick her and her bike up, and her booster seat...we are going to the school yard to do some laps and learning.  ?  I'll give her a few hours here and there.  

Any tips, parents?  HAHA

Find a paved path with no curbs and lots of run off area on both sides.    Lower the seat so she can easily put her feet on the ground.  Let her use the bike as a push bike to learn to coast and lift her feet up.  You should be awesome at teaching coasting.

After she builds up some confidence raise the seat a bit and work putting feet on pedals into equation.  Let her coast and learn to balance that way.

Finally add in pedaling.

This is the method that worked best for me.  

Avoid narrow paths, streets with curbs, lots of slope, or anything else that will lower her confidence level.

I spent hours with a Scout at a camp out using this method in an empty parking lot with grass on the side.

He went from tears from being teased about not being able to ride, to riding all over camp by the end of the day.  he did not want to get off his bike.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

23 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Good advice Mister Miyagi.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

24 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Have you ever met a small child?

• Haha 1

I think you will do fine.  Just being there and showing you care will go a long way toward the encouragement factor.  The teaching part will probably come naturally to you.  Just don't be too serious and most importantly, have fun.  

If I taught my son to ride, surely it can't be all that difficult.  My only advice might be to find a really nice place to ride where if she falls, she will be less likely to suffer a hurtful injury.  IOW, I would avoid bumpy or gravelly asphalt surfaces.  

38 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Find a paved path with no curbs and lots of run off area on both sides.    Lower the seat so she can easily put her feet on the ground.  Let her use the bike as a push bike to learn to coast and lift her feet up.  You should be awesome at teaching coasting.

I would only volunteer choosing a flat grassy FIELD (preferably recently mowed) instead of a paved path.  A small bike usually has relatively fat tires, and falling onto grass is infinitely less abrasive than a paved surface.

38 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Good advice Mister Miyagi.  

Scary that it took the other Mensa guy to catch on.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

I would only volunteer choosing a flat grassy FIELD (preferably recently mowed) instead of a paved path.  A small bike usually has relatively fat tires, and falling onto grass is infinitely less abrasive than a paved surface.

Scary that it took the other Mensa guy to catch on.

No coasting on grasss usually.  It can be done, but I prefer a paved path, like a concrete walkway in a park with grass on both sides.

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

No coasting on grasss usually.  It can be done, but I prefer a paved path, like a concrete walkway in a park with grass on both sides.

Fair enough. I vote for grass when pedaling is finally introduced. 

Another reason for skipping the paved path - in some areas - is that other folks are using that path.  If DH can find a place that has no folks using the path/parking lot/field, that is the best.  Folks teaching kids to ride on routes used by other riders, joggers, and dog walkers is just awful. Bad for the kid, and rude to everyone else.  I assume, since DH is horribly awesome, she wouldn't be one of those types, and would choose the best & proper spot to help this kid.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Another reason for skipping the paved path - in some areas - is that other folks are using that path.  If DH can find a place that has no folks using the path/parking lot/field, that is the best.  Folks teaching kids to ride on routes used by other riders, joggers, and dog walkers is just awful. Bad for the kid, and rude to everyone else.  I assume, since DH is horribly awesome, she wouldn't be one of those types, and would choose the best & proper spot to help this kid.

Here is the city park where we taught our boys to ride.  The park has a paved path that connects the various areas.  Flat and easy to go off the path and into grass to fall over or if you lose control.  This is what I had in mind and of course not at peak hours when the park is crowded.

image.thumb.png.48950b0545dc30aa1ff68ff187d023a4.png

54 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

To the grass point, what kids don’t realize and many adults forget is it’s easier to ride a bike fast than slow.  Centrifugal force keeps the wheels stable and they are wobbly & tipsy anyway.  Grass would make it harder to learn on albeit a softer landing when they crash.

Smooth asphalt is fine, preferably a wide area with no other people and obviously no cars.  They are low to the ground and aren’t going that fast.  They sometimes lose a little skin but nothing a little dirt on it won’t fix.

I remember when I got my son the first real BMX bike with hand brakes.  The look of horror as he’s pedaling backwards, not stopping and about to plow into a block wall was classic.  But he survived just fine.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, jsharr said:

After she builds up some confidence raise the seat a bit and work putting feet on pedals into equation.  Let her coast and learn to balance that way.

Finally add in pedaling.

This is the method that worked best for me.  

Avoid narrow paths, streets with curbs, lots of slope, or anything else that will lower her confidence level.

I spent hours with a Scout at a camp out using this method in an empty parking lot with grass on the side.

He went from tears from being teased about not being able to ride, to riding all over camp by the end of the day.  he did not want to get off his bike.

Ok. I'm abit lost.  Don't some children's bikes have training wheels that can be taken off?

When she's comfortable, put her on grass area/ very, very gentle hill and have her try pedaling.  She might feel safer falling in the grass, not on hard pavement if she is fearful/nervous.  

It needs to be fun.    

She's at a good age still to learn.  She can strap on her teddy bear, doll to give them a ride too.  (This is for motivation.. a slight distractor so that she's not always worried about herself.)

58 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Ok. I'm abit lost.  Don't some children's bikes have training wheels that can be taken off?

When she's comfortable, put her on grass area/ very, very gentle hill and have her try pedaling.  She might feel safer falling in the grass, not on hard pavement if she is fearful/nervous.  

It needs to be fun.    

She's at a good age still to learn.  She can strap on her teddy bear, doll to give them a ride too.  (This is for motivation.. a slight distractor so that she's not always worried about herself.)

She can ride.  She just crashes into stuff and is very very fearful.

6 hours ago, jdc2000 said:

A large empty parking lot would not have much to crash into.  Maybe a course with cones or something similar that would give if hit to work on bike handling.

I am taking her to a school yard. Big empty school yard. 

They have a few walkways near the grass. They have big flat areas of concrete.  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, roadsue said:

Just tell her to quit being a little pussy, birch up and ride that damn bike like she stole it. 

Worked for my kid. 

Her mother has given up on her. Her thing now is like I can't deal with you ...ride your bike ... Don't ride your bike...I don't care. This little thing has a temper. She gets mad and she throws her bike on the ground. Like violently. I hope to harness the rage she has and put it into the pedals 

This is gonna be challenging. Her temper reminds me of another spirited little Philly. Lol

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Her mother has given up on her. Her thing now is like I can't deal with you ...ride your bike ... Don't ride your bike...I don't care. This little thing has a temper. She gets mad and she throws her bike on the ground. Like violently. I hope to harness the rage she has and put it into the pedals 

This is gonna be challenging. Her temper reminds me of another spirited little Philly. Lol

She needs to grow up and act like an adult.

I think I will start her day at our bike garage.  Show her our fleet, show her some of the medals and pics and show her what is possible.  Explain how much I care for this fleet and how much I respect it.  She knows me, but I have never let her in my world.  I want her new taste of biking to be like the first time an addict hits that crack pipe.  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

The two girls respect me and know me as "the bike lady."  LOL

So talk to her like a person, not like she's a child. Talk to her like a prospective bike person. Yes, encourage like she's a kid; but don't over do. Remind her balance is at your middle, not the handlebars. Talk to her like a bike person. That's how she knows you and is counting on you. Be the leader, not the babysitter.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

Her mother has given up on her. Her thing now is like I can't deal with you ...ride your bike ... Don't ride your bike...I don't care.

This is so sad :( I'm glad you're taking this on and exposing her to the wonderful world of cycling. Wait a week or so before you toss her down the wtf sections ;)

• Haha 1