Gulp...I am going under the knife

petitepedal

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

What are your plans for help when you return home

Sleep...do drugs..hang out...

Seriously, I asked my neighbor to be taxi..not sure if I will need overnight supervision :dontknow:. She may hang out here for a bit to make sure I am ok.

From his brief experience of me..and whatever my trainer told him :whistle: he does not expect me to spend much time on drugs for pain..I will sell my extras to @Razors Edge for a small profit :D

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

Sleep...do drugs..hang out...

Seriously, I asked my neighbor to be taxi..not sure if I will need overnight supervision :dontknow:. She may hang out here for a bit to make sure I am ok.

From his brief experience of me..and whatever my trainer told him :whistle: he does not expect me to spend much time on drugs for pain..I will sell my extras to @Razors Edge for a small profit :D

Will you need in house nursing care for the short term?  Simple things like feeding and dressing could be tough. 

Hey @petitepedal, this is being done in same day surgery, correct?  My shoulder replacement was accomplished that morning and by afternoon I was sent home.

When you go home, there will be some in home care involved. I had a nurse come in daily for  the first couple weeks.  You’ll most likely have that as well. And when they start you on the in home PT, even though it hurts, it helps a lot.

Thoughts and prayers as you go through this.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

12 minutes ago, smudge said:

And wiping your butt....

She is only having one shoulder done, she will manage. I know a guy that said he couldn’t afford to take the time off to have one done at a time. He had both shoulders done at the same time. He said that was a dumb decision. He had to ask his wife to come do the paper work.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

It way  less than shoulder replacement..Doc says..3 weeks in the splint then I start PT..I can use a mouse or keyboard..Shower after 2 days..drive when I feel comfortable..I think it will be 2 or 3 small incisions :dontknow:  I plan to be off at least 1 week..and then see how things go...

It sounds like you won’t be getting the cool brace that I had after my surgery. There is no way a person living alone could ever get in and out of that thing. You have neighbors in the same building that I’m sure you could ask to come over for a couple minutes.

2 hours ago, petitepedal said:

It way  less than shoulder replacement..Doc says..3 weeks in the splint then I start PT..I can use a mouse or keyboard..Shower after 2 days..drive when I feel comfortable..I think it will be 2 or 3 small incisions :dontknow:  I plan to be off at least 1 week..and then see how things go...

Understood.  Good friend had surgery like yours.  I recall his recovery. It’s shorter, but mechanically, not too much different than a real emend recovery.  

@Zealot I think this issue was at the root of my shoulder issue with the Camelbak on The Great Adventure...More and different issues since then..Doc seems to think the repair will help that. Hopefully, I will maintain my range of motion..which has not been a problem. Just pain..some of it bad pain.:dontknow:

On 1/8/2021 at 8:49 PM, BuffJim said:

Will you need in house nursing care for the short term?  Simple things like feeding and dressing could be tough. 

I've had both rotator cuffs repaired, one a complete tear at age 66 and one a minor one at age 52, both same-day-surgeries.  I didn't need nursing care for either one, though I stayed at my sister's house for a few days for the major one.

When I had the minor one, the surgeon (Garrett Lynch, who was the team physician for an AA minor league team and treated many Baltimore Orioles with their testimonies all over his office) told me the sling on my arm was to get me home and to throw it away when I got there. I was to begin physical therapy THAT same day, running warm water over the shoulder in the shower with my fingers climbing the wall 20x in front of me and 20x to the side of me, 3x/day.  After the 3rd day, an hour 3x/week at the physical therapist's.

The major one had a big bandage that I got rid of in 3 days and a sling I wore for about 6 weeks.  Shower therapy began on, I think, day 3 and serious physical therapy after 1 week.  The major shoulder tendon (supraspinatus) was completely removed from the upper arm then reattached with screws and permanent stitches, but I was virtually as good a new two months later on a Caribbean Cruise, though I had to avoid heavy lifting for 18 months.