Torn rotator cuff

MoseySusan
Go to solution Solved by AirwickWithCheese,

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

Dagnabbit. More PT.

Best wishes. I’ve had a torn rotator cuff for decades. Finally diagnosed in January. They just said let it be, didn’t even recommend PT. It doesn’t much bother me, but I am somewhat limited. Shoulder MRI was a nightmare. Did you have to endure that torture chamber? With your foot itching and needing to pee?

1 minute ago, BuffJim said:

Best wishes. I’ve had a torn rotator cuff for decades. Finally diagnosed in January. They just said let it be, didn’t even recommend PT. It doesn’t much bother me, but I am somewhat limited. Shoulder MRI was a nightmare. Did you have to endure that torture chamber? With your foot itching and needing to pee?

No. I took the steroid shot and will have pt. If it doesn’t improve, I get the MRI. It’s going to improve. I’ve had an MRI before. No fun, for sure. 

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Sorry to hear this.  I do need to hear about this full contact laundry style of yours that results in torn rotator cuffs.  Or were you reenacting your college days and riding inside the spinning dryer?

Only in imagination… It’s totally banal. The muscles and tendons in my right arm are stupid tight from watching my life slide by while wearing a cast on my hand and wrist. I injured the rotator cuff reaching to the back of the washing machine for clothes in a joyous moment of gratitude that I could resume using my right hand. Can’t have nice things…

• Hugs 1

1 minute ago, MoseySusan said:

Only in imagination… It’s totally banal. The muscles and tendons in my right arm are stupid tight from watching my life slide by while wearing a cast on my hand and wrist. I injured the rotator cuff reaching to the back of the washing machine for clothes in a joyous moment of gratitude that I could resume using my right hand. Can’t have nice things…

Is it some sort of bad washing machine?  Sounds like a nice one to me.

I had what first appeared to be rotator cuff injuries a couple of years ago.  It turned out that it and some subsequent shoulder problems on both sides involved nerves being pressed by the surrounding shoulder structure.  A significant amount of PT and some training on what to do in the gym to prevent more problems seems to have done wonders.  The longer I can keep this old body from completely falling apart the happier I am.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

2 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Hope it works for you..my surgery in February was a rotator cuff repair..I got a good surgeon  and a cute PT...and it is going well.. if you do end up having to do surgery know that the first couple months are rough and it is 5 to 6 months for recovery :console:

My sister has her surgery scheduled for next month :(  They recommended TWO months off work to recover (and PT, I assume).  She'll be in a sling for Thanksgiving.  She's one of the big "cooks" in the kitchen, so we'll see if her daughter steps in to fill her role. :)

29 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Get better!  And come up with a better story. 

When people ask how you hurt yourself, always start off with "There was a bus load of nuns and orphans about to go over a cliff......"  then trail off and stare at the horizon for a few seconds.  Well up one single tear out of one eye if you can.

“Do you want that tear to stay in my eye, or roll halfway down my cheek,” Bette Davis famously asked her director. 

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

Sorry to hear it.  I've had both rotator cuffs operated on.  The acromion bone than runs to the shoulder has a sharp hook at one end in 60% of people.  It is something I have and it's known to be a frequent cause of shoulder-area muscle and ligament damage when the area is inflamed and tissue gets pressed against the hook.  So my surgeon trimmed and rounded each one and also clipped an unneeded ligament also known to cause problems.  He also stretched my left supraspinatus tendon - the one that runs over the shoulder - farther down the humerus (upper arm bone) so it had a longer area to grow into the bone, and he reattached the tendon with 10 blue permanent stitches tied into two ceramic screws that were put in my humerus.

I'm now an improved model of myself

My doc is the team physician for a Baltimore Orioles' AA affiliate team.  He said he's never seen a major or minor league baseball player with the hook-ended acromion bone - which he also has.  Apparently, it takes those of us who have it out of the running before we'd get to the minor leagues.

The last surgery was in 2017 and he said there was not the slightest evidence of arthritis in the shoulder.  I hope that keeps up.

381810200_IMG_20170623_102927sml.thumb.jpg.e152c190f3a4a19db5af5de67a1ce740.jpg 898080311_!!!SurgeryCarnera2iof2orig900p.thumb.jpg.52a31c41f1505c8da724145ce8b7fd81.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

My sister has her surgery scheduled for next month :(  They recommended TWO months off work to recover (and PT, I assume).  She'll be in a sling for Thanksgiving.  She's one of the big "cooks" in the kitchen, so we'll see if her daughter steps in to fill her role. :)

My surgery was Feb 3..wore the sling with the block for about a month..started PT at 6 weeks..twice a week. My doc signed off on me in August..but in July I started easy workouts with my trainer per what the PT told him was ok. 

• Thank You 1

46 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

My surgery was Feb 3..wore the sling with the block for about a month..started PT at 6 weeks..twice a week. My doc signed off on me in August..but in July I started easy workouts with my trainer per what the PT told him was ok. 

My sister is a lunatic Type A.  This may be a real challenge to her.

51 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

My sister is a lunatic Type A.  This may be a real challenge to her.

Yeah..my trainer told the doc about me before I saw him (he also works out with my trainer)..and my PT is at the same facility...My doc said I could go back to work when I felt comfortable driving. I was home almost 3 weeks and part time for 2 more. I also took a total of 3 oxycontin...depends on how she copes with pain.

I strained both of mine on 2 consecutive serves in a volleyball game about 25 years ago. No MRIs but they said not torn. A few months of PT. My mobility and strength returned. Tried to return to VB. I would feel fine before the matches but it would take me the whole week to recover. Decide that was no way to live so I gave up the game. Hoping the best for you!