Has inflation changed your life yet?

BuffJim

My 401k and 403 are taking some minor hits as I had moved them to conservative investments like bonds a while back. But as I'm not taking money out of them, I don't notice it in the pocket yet.

I see price increases especially at the pump and grocery store, but I haven't had to cut back on spending yet.

For years I was on a program where I bought electricity at market rates and usually saved about $10 a month. However, in the last few months the price of a kilowatt hour has gone up as far as 400% above normal. I just dropped out of that program.

• Heart 1

It hasn’t changed my lifestyle. The gas prices are the biggest weekly shocker, but I haven’t cancelled any plans as a result. Still drive to Erie on good weather weekends. Glad not to have any major purchases planned.

We have a master bathroom makeover planned, but haven’t gotten our contractor’s date yet. But we’ve bought all tile, vanity, etc. so shouldn’t have any big surprises there.

• Heart 2

Our 401s took a hit. We're not hurting, but we're going to hold off on any large purchases (CX 30) just because. Mrs always tries to watch what she spends on groceries, more so now. I'm seeing more store brand food items in the house etc. The fuel companies are still my pet peeve. I REFUSE to give them any more money then I have to. Mrs is flying down south to visit family, and I was planning to take a road trip north with the foo foos. Its been in the works for months. But instead I think I'll just do a staycation. Mrs works from home and my commute is only seven miles. So my groovy 'lil 76 mpg motorbike has become my commuting vehicle of choice. Weather permitting I can ride all week to and from work using less then a gallon of gas.

• Heart 4

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

It has not changed my life but is sure as hell is noticeable.  I think the sanctions and monetary policies are hurting the west more than Russia. 

IMO the oil sanctions are one of the three major factors.  Covid and the shutdown of much of the Chinese industry that caused supply chain problems are the others.  IMO sanctions only appear to hit us harder because Russia is really a third rate country and simply lies about how bad things are.

I don't think there is anything government can do for or against inflation.  All the bullshit about what the Fed does is just pablum for the masses while pretending that government matters.

Like everyone else my 401 K is down but I’m still a ways from retiring.  We are paying closer attention to food purchases and having to make an effort to buy less as our weekly food costs are up about $75 more a week now.  I also run my AC less in my car to save a little fuel. 

• Heart 1

48 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

IMO sanctions only appear to hit us harder because Russia is really a third rate country and simply lies about how bad things are.

I haven’t had my yacht seized!

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - A massive luxury yacht reportedly belonging to a Russian oligarch docked in Honolulu on Thursday. It’s one of the several yachts seized by the U.S. Department of Justice because of their owners’ ties to Russia.

Tug boats met the yacht at sea about 10 a.m. and guided it into Honolulu Harbor.

The 348-foot luxury yacht, the Amadea, made a U-turn inside Honolulu Harbor and then docked at Pier 2. Federal agents with the FBI and U.S. Marshals Service were on board the vessel, which reportedly belongs to oligarch Soleiman Kerimov.

The yacht was seized in Fiji last month.

I just have to plan retirement abit differently ..my portfolio has taken a hit so far. 

Yogurt has gotten alot more expensive but I still plan to have yogurt for breakfast often. It keeps my body healthy.  Since I haven't had a car in ages, I don't notice the gas pump hit.  Maybe I will later for airflights.  I'm not like Dirtyhip who didn't want to fly to visit loved ones because of environment, etc.

I actually have no choice but to fly since Canada-wide buses don't exist anymore. 

• Heart 1

I'm definitely more careful about combining errands so that there is one trip and I'd think more about taking a long driving trip.    When I go grocery shopping, I think more before buying "extras".  Even if the increases in prices aren't enough to make me change any of my basic habits, iit's enough to make me pay more attention.

• Heart 3

The cost of commuting has been big. My 401k is hurting, but I have a few years yet before retirement. 
I would like to replace the CX5 with a newer model before the trade in value takes a big hit due to mileage. I was planning to buy used, but there are no bargains there, either. I’m now looking at new because the prices really aren’t much higher and you get a warranty. That is going to take some lifestyle adjustment to accommodate that payment. 

On 6/18/2022 at 4:24 AM, Wilbur said:

It has not changed my life but is sure as hell is noticeable.  I think the sanctions and monetary policies are hurting the west more than Russia. 

I am of the opinion now after living my life through the use of economic sanctions -- that they don't work.

• Heart 2

The only thing I've noticed is the cost of eating out has skyrocketed.  But I think that has more to do with supply chains more than anything.  Or maybe a combo.  Either way, it's forced us to eat in more -- which is a welcome change -- so I'm not really feeling the crunch... yet. Gas prices are high as hell (low as hell?) and that is hitting the pocket book some but working from home put me in the black in that area long ago.

• Heart 1

35 minutes ago, Mr. Beanz said:

We still eat out but the prices sure make me think maybe we shouldn't.  Even our hole in the wall favorite joint has gone from 18 to 32 bucks.

Yeah I've noticed that too.  ALL of the restaurants we like are WAY more expensive.    One place is real nice... but now a plate of pasta is the cheapest thing on the menu for $30.   Yeah $30.   So 2 dinners,  a bottle of wine, tax and tip is about $115 now.  :(    It used to be closer to $80 for us to eat there.  That's 44% more.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

Yeah I've noticed that too.  ALL of the restaurants we like are WAY more expensive.    One place is real nice... but now a plate of pasta is the cheapest thing on the menu for $30.   Yeah $30.   So 2 dinners,  a bottle of wine, tax and tip is about $115 now.  :(    It used to be closer to $80 for us to eat there.  That's 44% more.

Restaurants and the local bar and grill have to pay the employees more just to keep them. A local family Restaurant is paying 18 dollars per hour for dishwashers. Those expenses just get passed on to the customers. 

• Heart 2

8 minutes ago, BR46 said:

Restaurants and the local bar and grill have to pay the employees more just to keep them. A local family Restaurant is paying 18 dollars per hour for dishwashers. Those expenses just get passed on to the customers. 

That same issue is affecting ALL the business.   Our local ma & pa garbage collection company we had for 3 years sold their business back in January.   The new and BIG garbage collection company has sent me text messages every collection day about "An unexpected problem, has caused a delay, and your pickup will be delayed a day."   That's every week now.  And some times 2 or 3 days in a row. 

I called last week and the woman explained that they just can't get people to work who have a CDL.   She asked me If I had a CDL and if I wanted a job.  Or if I knew anyone who has a CDL who needs a job. 

I'm sure the bill will be more expensive in 3 months. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Dottles said:

The only thing I've noticed is the cost of eating out has skyrocketed.  But I think that has more to do with supply chains more than anything.  Or maybe a combo.  Either way, it's forced us to eat in more -- which is a welcome change -- so I'm not really feeling the crunch... yet. Gas prices are high as hell (low as hell?) and that is hitting the pocket book some but working from home put me in the black in that area long ago.

Has wage increases impacted your area like it has here?  We have fast food workers making $18-19 an hour now (minimum wage is $15)  Great, good for them but faaahk my bfast burrito went up $2 as well…

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Changed a bit of our grocery shopping habits and making us plan for the inevitable crash, at least is how we're viewing it. 

We were financially stable and were looking to buy a piece of property or two for investment purposes before Covid. Since that got on hold for a bit we still have a sizeable amount that was just sitting in a savings account. Earned nothing but lost nothing (except if you adjust it for inflation). The idea we have now is to ride out the bear market in stocks, sock the extra from my newly increased income into all our ventures by buy more stocks, and adding what we were spending on daycare ($890 a month) to the daughters college fund since she enters kindergarten.

When the housing crashes in the next few years we'll hopefully be ready to scoop up a few pieces as investments then, pay as close to cash as possible and have some passive income coming in.

I spending a little more on basic things and I still have excess income over spending not counting the State Farm check or my stock market losses.

I've been helped in limiting spending by not taking big vacations since the pandemic began and lower heating and air conditioning costs compared to before the house fire and that's despite a 20% increase in rates this year,

I am concerned because I saw a lot of pensioners in the 70's and 80's lose half the buying power of their pensions due to 2% to 3% max COLA's each year and high inflation going on for years in the 70's and 80's.  I'm getting a 3% max. COLA in July and my 25% of my Medicare Supplemental that the pension doesn't pay is likely to rise a lot more than 3% when it changes in December.

• Heart 1