How are those Saturday chores going?

petitepedal

Planning to finish working on my cajon (did some finish sanding yesterday are work and need to stain and paint on a design) and begin work building a naname taiko stand.  Also need to replace the fuel pump in my car and change the oil…

• Heart 3
  • Like 1

First I woke up and it was going good except we had a bad storms last night and it closed down all the mountain bike trails for the next week till they dry out again. 
might be a good thing cause I’m hurting today in my shoulder and lower back. 

I have to wake the youngest up in a few min so he can get ready and I can take him to football  practice.

after that I’ll get home around 1 and finger out how to pull these grips off my bars and trim them down an inch on each side. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Zealot said:

Planning to finish working on my cajon (did some finish sanding yesterday are work and need to stain and paint on a design) and begin work building a naname taiko stand.  Also need to replace the fuel pump in my car and change the oil…

Busy day

On hold with Aetna disputing a charge for something they say they don't cover.  A blood test for celiac.  WTF - this should be good.  They sure take wearing you down siriously!  In a league with Comcast!

Ok, appeal filed.   They said it was an experimental test. That is a very popular insurance excuse.   

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, KrAzY said:

First I woke up and it was going good except we had a bad storms last night and it closed down all the mountain bike trails for the next week till they dry out again. 
might be a good thing cause I’m hurting today in my shoulder and lower back. 

I have to wake the youngest up in a few min so he can get ready and I can take him to football  practice.

after that I’ll get home around 1 and finger out how to pull these grips off my bars and trim them down an inch on each side. 

The shop mechanics used compressed air with a rubber tip nozzle. Blows the grips right off. 

• Heart 2

Woke at 5:20. Apache was whining to be released. We played fetch while coffee brewed. Fed him at 6:00, Manche didn’t rise until 6:30. He ate and went back to son’s room and slept some more. I separated chicken and bone. Bones went into a pot with celery, onion, carrots, salt, black peppercorns, and bay leaves. Simmered for three hours, is cooling now. I’ll can the stock after lunch. Brewed a gallon of sweet black tea to make kombucha later today. Took the lawnmower in for service. Get a new drive belt and cable. Installed the second box of fence post lights. One more to go. 

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

You spelt taco rong, I couldn’t FIFY cause we are not spose to do that anymore.

We’re not?  Where is the memo for that?  Or is it just generally not nice to be a grammar or spelling nazi?  And are we still allowed to call people various varieties of Nazis? :D

• Haha 1

Dogs, sheep and chickens have their morning feed and care,  2 sheep fleeces washing.  One drying.  Drying takes about 4 days. One rug on the loom.  I have a good start on the morning work but the morning is about over.

No ewes ready to lamb for the next few days at least but getting pens ready with heat lamps if it gets cold  Need to start shearing so that is done before lambing.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I finished restoring the guest room now that #1 has moved. She was here for three months, and I miss her this morning. But the guest room is cleaned up with new bedding. Ready for the next guest. 

We’re going swimming later and then #2 is going to a hockey game with his friends. It’s date night for mr and me. 💞

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 2

Just came back by bike, from grocery shopping this morning.  Wanted to beat the light drizzle which might freeze later this evening or so.

Trying to work some financial numbers after getting some calculations from someone I paid to do some scenarios and reports.  There is a point a person must do the rest of legwork / plot next moves.  

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I just built a desk from a kit getting ready to sweep the bedroom now

image.jpg

We figured out that you don’t actually have to take it out of the box and assemble it, it still is a fully functioning end table.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

The shop mechanics used compressed air with a rubber tip nozzle. Blows the grips right off. 

Mine are bolt on.. simple to just unscrew and slide off. Just did some measuring and I think and 1/2-3/4 inch needs to come off each side. I’ll start with 1/2 inch first

Woke up around 3 am, CNN was reporting 85 US Airstrikes.  So I was up a few hours before I could sleep.

Slept late.  Calves still a little sore from first hour walk in a while.  So I'll procrastinate the outside work until tomorrow: Sunny and 51F.

I'm reviewing my stocks.  In the 2020's, I added two stocks to make 14 and replaced two more.  I considered selling Emerson Electric today but decided to keep it.  It's one of those "stalwart stocks" the great investor Peter Lynch mentions in his excellent book One Up On Wall Street that isn't a glamor stock but isn't going out of business and does well in bad times (up 7% in '22 while the S&P 500 was down 18%).

It has durable competitive advantages in large electronic control manufacture and is THE company that makes the controls for ocean-based oil well platforms.  It also makes elevator controls and lots of other stuff.

It was up 7% in '22, up 6% in '23, and down 3% in '24.  It pays a 2.2% dividend that I reinvest.  It's a slow-growth, solid company that has raised its dividend 67 years in a row.  But is the last two weak years a sign of things to come?  I decided it isn't.

It has a good Return on Equity of 9.91% where 15% or more is considered spectacular and is a measure of how a company puts new earnings to work.  It has very low debt and as much cash as it has total debt.  It's Free Cash Flow is pouring $2.33 billion into its treasury per year.  It's Payout Ratio, the percent of earnings paid as dividends, is a safe 56%.

It's PE is ok at 21 but not great.  It's expected to grow earnings 10.7%/yr. for the next 5 years, pretty much agreeing with the 9.4%/yr growth the past 5 years.  Buy ratings have dropped down in Feb. but the consensus is still good.

Yahoo Finance's survey of analysts:

image.png.9fdc44245d31ab0390082f60fa8dd431.png

• Heart 1

I gave up. I took BuffCarla to the bank, she’s buying half a  house that’s been in the family for decades, and is divvying up money. Then I took her to an antique co-op that’s in an old church building in town and we browsed around. Then I made a single serving of chicken broth veggie soup for lunch with the rest of my salmon from last night.

Going for a walk soon, it’s beautiful out.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1

6 hours ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

Woke at 5:20. Apache was whining to be released. We played fetch while coffee brewed. Fed him at 6:00, Manche didn’t rise until 6:30. He ate and went back to son’s room and slept some more. I separated chicken and bone. Bones went into a pot with celery, onion, carrots, salt, black peppercorns, and bay leaves. Simmered for three hours, is cooling now. I’ll can the stock after lunch. Brewed a gallon of sweet black tea to make kombucha later today. Took the lawnmower in for service. Get a new drive belt and cable. Installed the second box of fence post lights. One more to go. 

This wore me out just reading it!

• Heart 1

Got the shear pin in the fan portion of the tractor snowblower and lowered the shoes so it doesn't pick up rocks.

Tried to shovel away so e of the snow that slid off the metal camp roof onto the sidewalk. Didn't get it clean, but it's kinda level.

Went for a walk in the woods.

Camp just ain't the same without HoSmudge. 

• Hugs 4