Travel

Allen

I want to get to know the real place, what the neighborhood is like, what it’s like to live there. And spend as little time on busses and trains as I can. For me the worst part of traveling, is traveling. Get me there, let me see something other than another country through a plane of glass.

• Heart 1

If I had to stay in one spot: Paris, France.  There is so much to do there and even the side-streets are safe to walk at night.

If I could use the spot as a base from which to take several-day trips to nearby places, then one of the cities near the Highway A8 expressway along the French Riviera (Mediterranean Coast) like Cannes, Monte Carlo, and Marseilles.  I considered renting my house out and living there for a couple years, using it as a base from which Spain, North Africa, Italy, Greece, and a lot of other places are nearby or cheap to get to with excellent expressways on the European side.  If I didn't have a lot of family things going on in Maryland, I'd probably have done it.

There are, of course, similar places in other countries - my choice is surely influenced by being semi-fluent in French.

first thought is someplace remote but on the beach with sailing, not too hot and still with some amenities.

Then I think Europe, maybe Spain.    I would really like to do a Hemingway tour of Europe and visit places from The Sun Also Rises and For Whom the Bell Tolls.  

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, jsharr said:

bot is stalking me.  Luckily Texas is a castle doctrine state.  bot steps foot on my property and I am going to come out guns blazing.

If you see that orgasmatron, you tell it that even in my duty-to-retreat state, it's important to note that, even in duty-to-retreat states, there's no duty to retreat from an intruder in your home. My state adheres to some version of the castle doctrine as well.

That means if I see him w/o my consent, I promise to pass on the worst virus it's ever had 

All that from the seat of my pants.

It would have to be Hawaii.

If you handed me a ticket that could take me anywhere, I'd go to Vienna. But I wouldn't stay there. If I was going to Europe for a couple months, I'd hang around Vienna for a week or two, then take the train to Paris. Spend a few days in paris, and then on to London.

Or, maybe Greece for a few days, then Spain, then the Basque, then Vienna... and after London, Scotland and maybe Ireland, and then a ferry, prob to Amsterdam, and then onwards to Scandinavia.

I was in Rome about 10 years ago.

Not impressed.

Don't get me wrong, I've spent nearly a month in Italy, and I love it. Best place in the world to ride a bike. The country loves cycling, it's beautiful, you will love the food (except breakfast, that's a WTF).

I could design a vacation that took a couple months, all in Italy, and not 5 seconds in Rome.

Just sayin.

25 minutes ago, late said:

Not impressed.

Don't get me wrong, I've spent nearly a month in Italy, and I love it. Best place in the world to ride a bike. The country loves cycling, it's beautiful, you will love the food (except breakfast, that's a WTF).

I could design a vacation that took a couple months, all in Italy, and not 5 seconds in Rome.

Just sayin.

Thinking about Fiesole, just outside of Florence. 

Or Prague, or Galway, or....

2 hours ago, late said:

Not impressed.

Just sayin.

I would agree, it would be but the hub.  

8 hours ago, Allen said:

I want to get to know the real place, what the neighborhood is like, what it’s like to live there. And spend as little time on busses and trains as I can. For me the worst part of traveling, is traveling. Get me there, let me see something other than another country through a plane of glass.

How about from a bicycle seat?

One place in the world-- it would have to be Ettelbruck, in Luxembourg.  3 rivers and the junction of two train lines.  It is a beautiful area with lovely people.  If you get the desire to travel other towns and countries are easily accessible.  Truth is, you may not want to ever leave.

map_of_luxembourg.jpg

15 minutes ago, roadsue said:

European cities are a tempting answer, but I'd want to be somewhere I could speak the language.

Canon Beach in Oregon would be nice.

Language isn't a problem in most of Europe. I've sailed into several countries not knowing how to speak a word. Most know 2 or 3 languages. Most shopkeepers speak English, but even in the rare instance they don't, they speak money.

England.. :D

While not a month, typically 3 weeks. Two weeks are obligated babysitting/spoiling grandson in Switzerland. Even at that, we take small day trips to see other areas of Switzerland and nearby France. That 3rd week, which skipping this year due to obligations back home, pick a place. We had done Venice, Vienna, Great Britain, and this year was a toss-up between Tuscany are of Italy, or Portugal...perhaps next year. Even daughter's wedding in the Canary Islands, flew to Barcelonna for 4 days and returned via Madrid 3 days for the US with a different airline Barcelona - Lanzarote - Madrid, and had daytrips to Monserrat and Toledo Spain, plus all over the Island.

Avoid cruises and other planned tours where you are not on your own schedule. Toledo was via train with many departures to choose from, where Monserrat should have taken the train but took bus and did have an interesting intermediate stop, but when at Monserrat, be back in 3 hours as the bus leaves.

On 6/11/2019 at 10:09 AM, Allen said:

If you had a month (maybe two) to spend in one spot, where would you go?

Depends on time of year, amount of money budgeted, and who I am with.

For example, I could easily spend the summer at a beach house with family. Cape Cod, LBI, Outer Banks, HH, etc..  No problem.

Likewise, a major city in the right season is easily comfortable for a month.  Many were mentioned, and many are great depending upon your interests.  Obviously Rome or Istanbul or Athens or London would be huge for history buffs.  Culturally, New York, Paris, Vienna, etc, would have lots to see and learn and enjoy.  For simply fun, big city energy, cities in South America are a blast, and many have beach fun too.  Total relaxation is again the shore or the mountains or a lake - in the US, CA, or many other places.  Foodies or theater & arts or architecture buffs would all have slightly different lists.

If I had a month for RIDING from a single hub, though, it would strictly be the Dolomites or the French Alps or the Pyrenees. Once those are exhausted, there would still be plenty of great places left for future bike adventures, but those three areas are the reason there are three Grand Tours over 100 years after they began.

I have been thinking about this and I might like to go Ralph Waldo Emerson.  Cabin on a lake.  Fishing, hiking, sailing, cycling.  I would want it to be remote so I, or those with me would be the only ones there.  No city noise, no traffic noise, not under airline flight paths.

Spent a week in a cabin in Grand Lake, Colorado a few years back.  A bit removed from town, so relatively quiet.  I rememember sitting on the deck enjoying a beverage by a fire pit watching a classic old Chris Craft idle across the lake.  The sound of the inboard engine was the only sound other than nature that you could hear.  I could do that for a month.

6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I have been thinking about this and I might like to go Ralph Waldo Emerson.  Cabin on a lake.  Fishing, hiking, sailing, cycling.  I would want it to be remote so I, or those with me would be the only ones there.  No city noise, no traffic noise, not under airline flight paths.

Spent a week in a cabin in Grand Lake, Colorado a few years back.  A bit removed from town, so relatively quiet.  I rememember sitting on the deck enjoying a beverage by a fire pit watching a classic old Chris Craft idle across the lake.  The sound of the inboard engine was the only sound other than nature that you could hear.  I could do that for a month.

• Awesome 1