So 14 years, 135,000 miles

Prophet Zacharia

Is the limit for my Toyota Highlander in Western PA driving. Frame is rusted out and won’t pass inspection. I hadn’t really wanted to buy a new (or used) car in this state of inflation/supply chain issues. But it will need to be done.

What are people’s recommendations for the best car for snow and ice driving? My wife would use it as a daily commuter, but I’d use it on snow days when she can WFH.

• Heart 1

Of course you want all wheel drive. I've seen many people happy with Subarus. Do you have a Subaru dealer close to you?

Besides AWD, tires make a big difference. I bought WoJSTL a set of Bridgestone Blizzak snow and ice tires from Tire Rack and install them in the early winter. They make a big difference. The one downside is that they wear out quickly if you drive them when it's over 50°F.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

32 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

What are people’s recommendations for the best car for snow and ice driving?

IMHO that would be a Subaru.   My 2010 Subaru Forester now with Michelin CrossClimate2 tires is incredible in snow. 

Even with the OEM tires is was better than most.   I was able to drive thru the 2011 blizzard the hit the Chicago area.  Long story short..   I was the ONLY car on I-80 (I had to report to work for power outages).  I-80 was covered in deeply rutted snow.   I got to my exit, and just stopped on I-80.   :scratchhead:  There was no exit... just a open field of snow and every now and then street lights.   Yeah I took the exit and got to work.

When shopping for my Subaru I wanted the best AWD I could find.    This video helped me decide. 

• Awesome 1

Before the Subaru we had a 99 Land Rover Discovery 2.    It was very comfortable, and it had an INCREDIBLE 4X4 drive system.   Then again... it got 13 mpg and had rather expensive repairs every year.  If you have to ask you can't afford the repairs kind of cost.  I got tired of that expense. 

I looked for a best AWD system I could find.   I waned WoBG to just get in and drive.  No switching to 4 wheel drive, etc.

We get about 70" of snow in the valley and 500" in the mountains. Subaru is the official car of Jackson Hole. They are everywhere. I've had mine two years and it gets the job done. My only complaint about the Crosstrek is the lack of power. My GF's Outback has more power. And the rocket box seems to be mandatory.

Subaru Outback Roof Cargo Box Guide - Best Roof Box

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

37 minutes ago, dinneR said:

We get about 70" of snow in the valley and 500" in the mountains. Subaru is the official car of Jackson Hole. They are everywhere. I've had mine two years and it gets the job done. My only complaint about the Crosstrek is the lack of power. My GF's Outback has more power. And the rocket box seems to be mandatory.

Yeah that’s my only complaint with my wife’s Crosstrek.  But Subaru recently started putting the 2.5 liter engine in it for a little more HP. 

• Heart 1

30 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I suggest BMW.  Practical, reliable, affordable.

When I was looking for a car to replace our Land Rover...  I looked at everything.  Sorry to say.. BMW didn't make the short list.  (at least in 2010)   A 2010 Mercedes GLK did make the short list.  It also had a good AWD system.   The Mercedes sales person was shocked when he asked what was his competition a Subaru Forester. 

WoBG was hesitant about pulling the trigger on the Subaru.   WoBG: What if it breaks down? (it hasn't)  Me:  We will then buy another Subaru.  2 Subarus will be cheaper than one GLK.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Is the limit for my Toyota Highlander in Western PA driving. Frame is rusted out and won’t pass inspection. I hadn’t really wanted to buy a new (or used) car in this state of inflation/supply chain issues. But it will need to be done.

What are people’s recommendations for the best car for snow and ice driving? My wife would use it as a daily commuter, but I’d use it on snow days when she can WFH.

Highlander was a good choice… especially if you want to tow something .

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

When I was looking for a car to replace our Land Rover...  I looked at everything.  Sorry to say.. BMW didn't make the short list.  (at least in 2010)   A 2010 Mercedes GLK did make the short list.  It also had a good AWD system.   The Mercedes sales person was shocked when he asked what was his competition a Subaru Forester. 

WoBG was hesitant about pulling the trigger on the Subaru.   WoBG: What if it breaks down? (it hasn't)  Me:  We will then buy another Subaru.  2 Subarus will be cheaper than one GLK.  

The MB Sprinter maintenance is expensive.  It wasn't on my short list due to that.  It looks really cool and sexy though. 

9 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

It’s a PA legacy.  Very first thing I noticed when I moved to Michigan in ‘79 was the piss poor shape of the cars on the road- no inspection.

I remember when new cars need the emissions test, not the smoke bellowing old ones🙄 great way for the state to rape people.

57 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I feel obligated to get @petitepedal’s input before pulling the trigger. :lol:

Subaru...however...when I couldn't afford a Subaru..I got my Mazda and I been driving it in MN for 10 years..front wheel drive..but a Forrester was my dream vehicle for several years..

Petite has spoken :D

• Heart 2
  • Whatever 1
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Dottles said:

True dat. But there were some really nasty ones… out here anyway.

Yes, but Michigan had a law that every car, IIRC, that was 10 yo or newer needed an emissions test. I'd guess most newer cars passed, thus a money maker for the gas stations doing it. Meanwhile, old cars with blue smoke...ehh, no test needed🙄 IMO it had nothing to do with emissions, but all to do with making money. Eventually this ended. There have been no emission inspections since aboot 1991, or just slightly after I started driving.  Also, if you knew the gas station dude, the emission test could be fudged to produce a correct reading.

14 minutes ago, Dottles said:

especially if you want to tow something .

You can tow with a Forester... but it is NOT great at towing.   Just not enough power.   If towing is a must...  then the turbo charged Subaru Outback would be my choice.

That said..  my Forester was used to tow a small 5X8 cargo trailer when we built our home, purchased lots of stuff, and we used it to move.  I installed the 2" receiver hitch and installed the wiring kit.

(My Land Rover... I didn't even know there was a 6X12 U-Haul trailer behind me.  It got 12 mpg towing and 13 with no trailer.)

20200318_105517.thumb.jpg.874b98f4882b062f6681de97fc698e74.jpg

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, dinneR said:

My son-in-law just bought a 2022 Outback in white like the photo. I just saw if for the first time a few moments ago. I was impressed.

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

We went from 12 years in a Highlander to a Rav4.  We will replace our Rav4 with another one we are that happy with it.  Works great in the snow.

• Heart 2

Our Mazda CX-5 is AWD. In the winter and 1/2 we had it in Nebraska it was great in the snow. I drove a Thanksgiving weekend to my Mom’s in the BlackHills, then down to Denver for a friend’s wedding all on snow and ice covered roads. I felt very confident with the car even though we had it about a week at the time! 
My son has an Outback and it has been great for him as well. 

• Heart 2

5 hours ago, Longjohn said:

My wife always liked her Honda CRVs They would go anywhere in the snow. I haven’t had mine for a winter yet but I really like it.

I am a loyal Honda guy but I might try a Subaru Legacy because I am also a car guy.  A guy at work has one and it is snice. Or maybe it is the smaller one, not sure what they are called if in fact there even is such a thing. 

Another very promising option is I heard the Camry now has (optional?) AWD.  Choosing in part on the closest dealer would be good, especially if there is a Toyota dealer close by and you like the Highlander.

• Heart 1

I mentioned when it happened but I’ll repeat it. Nancy and I were driving across Akron on the interstate going to a basketball game and we passed a pickup with ratchet straps holding the bumper and the tailgate from falling off. The left side of the bed was flapping in the wind and the driver had his hand out the window holding the side of the bed from falling off. Worst case of rust I have seen on a vehicle anywhere even in a scrap yard.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I like my car and have had good luck with it.  Never had an AWD before, it's pretty amazing.

• Heart 1

We have 6 cars in my extended family and 5 of them are subarus (the other was inherited so we didn't pick it out).  You have to go up and down a fairly steep hill to get to my home, and my prior car had front wheel drive.  On more than one occasion I found my car sliding down the hill on snowy/icy days.  I haven't had that issue with my current car.